Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Web Analytics & Tracking
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005   #1
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
Google Analytics improperly tracking PPC?

Has anyone else noticed this? We only have a couple clients who've tied their AdWords to Analytics yet the data is wonky.

Goals are properly set yet it doesn't seem to be accurately tracking the PPC conversions or goals. Organic is fine.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #2
SeanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Has anyone else noticed this? We only have a couple clients who've tied their AdWords to Analytics yet the data is wonky.

Goals are properly set yet it doesn't seem to be accurately tracking the PPC conversions or goals. Organic is fine.
I noticed the same thing and finally got a response from Google this morning. They're having problems importing the cost data from AdWords, and claim it's their top priority to fix, ETA "a few days"

Sean
Old 12-10-2005   #3
tonerman

tonerman has a spectacular aura abouttonerman has a spectacular aura about
Anyone seeing their Adwords data in their Analytics reports?

I'm posting this on 12/10 AM. I do not see any adwords data in my reports. I have some other issues that I am addressing that I do not know if they are caused by me or Google - but in the meantime - is anyone seeing their adwords data in their reports?
tonerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #4
Rob
Canuck SEM

I'm starting to see AW results in a couple clients, but not all yet
Old 12-13-2005   #5
tonerman

Thanks Rob - I am not seeing diddly in terms of adwords data.
Old 12-13-2005   #6
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
I'm seeing data from my adwords account but it doesn't sync up with the amount of clicks adwords says im getting.I love free analytics but I kinda wish Google had gotten the kinks out of this before I signed up.
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
tonerman

Kind a wish? What a mess. I think the time you need to install Analytics on a site is going through the roof because Google just does not have its act together. It doesn't work correctly, the documentation is lousy, and the support is a "we're busy trying to fix it " autoresponse.
Old 12-13-2005   #8
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
well, we can't complain too much, after all it is free. I think once they get their act together this will raise the bar for everyone: better analytics means people can make better sites and get the most bang for their buck in ppc.
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
tonerman

Free? If you are running a busy ecommerce site you have limited time for anything. Installing analytics on a large site is not all peaches and cream - especially if you have custom shopping cart design, etc. Designing the proper filters in Analytics takes time also. The fact that Analytics isn't running properly adds lots more time to the whole task. Problems cost money and Analytics has a lot of them.

I realize I am complaining. When someone inconveniences you, you have a right to gripe. I'm complaining because Google let this thing loose with a lot of bugs and insufficent resources and it is resulting in a lot of confusion and lost productivity. I'd be happy to pay them for it if it did what was promised.

Last edited by tonerman : 12-13-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2005   #10
Rob
Canuck SEM

So once they get the PPC tracking working, I wonder how long until they track YSM and (later) MSN Paid?
Old 12-14-2005   #11
tonerman

Since you can track anything in Analytics (once it actually works) Google can get the number of clicks from any PPC program you care to track within your analytics setup. However, Google won't get the cost data from the other campaigns - just the number of clicks, conversions and bounce rates. Since the agreement to use Analytics gives Google the right to promote the fact that you are an Analytics customer - maybe they could also say you sell twice as much on Google as you do YSN. That's wild speculation on my part and I am not looking at the fine print - except the agreement you check off on definently gives Google promotional rights about your usage.

Last edited by tonerman : 12-15-2005 at 01:49 AM.