Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2005   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
SES Chicago 2005: "Triple Play Blog Coverage"

Barry aka Rustybrick has posted the planned blog coverage of SES Chicago 2005 at his Seroundtable site. Rusty, Ben Pfeiffer aka Phoenix, and I will be convering as many sessions as possible in "near-real-time." There will be some typos and a few possible misquotings, but generally you should get a good feel for the sessions we will cover, within about 15-20 minutes after the session is completed. As time permits, after the conference, feel free to request clarifications if you were a speaker at one of the sessions. We will try our best to get to it.

We will try our best to get links up to the individual sessions in this thread, and we ask that anyone who has questions or comments please post here as well.

I am looking forward to another fun time with Barry and Ben...look for us at the conference, but don't spill coffee on our laptops!
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Ok guys, some reason, I feel more rushed at this conference. I am going to use this thread to notify you of new sessions covered by Ben, Chris and myself at the blog. But please start a new thread with the session name and "- Chicago SES 05" appended at the end, if you have questions. I will force people into those threads to reply.

Here we go...

- Search Behavior Research Update - Live From Chicago!
- Intro to Search Marketing
- Video Search
- Earning from Search & Contextual Ads
- Reputation Monitoring & Management
- Podcast Search

And that was just the first two tracks. We are in lunch break now. I got to go back downstairs.

Again, please start a new thread with the session name and "- Chicago SES 05" appended at the end, if you have questions.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
5 more to complete the day.

- Targeting Search Ads By Demographics & Behavior
- Global Search Landscape
- Search Advertising 101
- ClickZ Forum: Ads Beyond Search
- Book Search

Again, please start a new thread with the session name and "- Chicago SES 05" appended at the end, if you have questions.
Old 12-06-2005   #4
rustybrick

Tuesday Morning:

- KEYNOTE: The Search Marketing Community
- News Search SEO
- Creating Compelling Ads
- Business To Business Tactics

More to come...
Old 12-06-2005   #5
rustybrick

Remainder of the day...

- SEM Via Communities, Wikipedia & Tagging
- Meet The News Search Engines
- RSS, Blogs, and Search Marketing - Join The RSS Revolution!
- Meet The Blog & Feed Search Engines
- Successful Site Architecture

That is a wrap up for Tuesday. The networking cocktail was ok. Too bad it was in the exhibit hall.
Old 12-06-2005   #6
econwriter5

econwriter5 is on a distinguished road
Copyright debate

Hello,

I had spoken briefly with Mr. Sullivan after his keynote address and he said that the copyright debate this evening had been cancelled.

Is anyone else disappointed?
econwriter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #7
Bizresearch
Laura Thieme

Bizresearch is on a distinguished road
New blog postings on Bizresearch.com from SES

Dave Hodge, Jay Amstutz and myself are here at Chicago SES, blogging as well. Typos, formatting errors (mostly on my part in Wordpress) will be edited out at the end of the week - but for now - you can go to Bizresearch.com and click on SES Chicago blog link, or go directly to each of the session blogs:
Bizresearch's SES Chicago Blog

Dynamic Web Sites - Laura's Blog

Dynamic Web Sites - Dave's Blog
Bizresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #8
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by econwriter5
Hello,

I had spoken briefly with Mr. Sullivan after his keynote address and he said that the copyright debate this evening had been cancelled.

Is anyone else disappointed?
I was disappointed.
Old 12-07-2005   #9
rustybrick

Only three new ones for the morning sessions, not sure what happened to the others...

- Working With Clients
- Shopping Search Tactics
- SEM Campaign & Project Management
Old 12-07-2005   #10
rustybrick

remainder of Wednesday... only one more day left, and its half a day...

- Working As A Team
- Search Engine Q&A On Links
- Future Of SEM
- Evening Forum with Danny Sullivan
Old 12-08-2005   #11
econwriter5

econwriter5 is on a distinguished road
Lsi

Did anyone hear mention of LSI in any of the sessions?

Something about new content standards where the content and context around keywords will be taken into account and affect rankings?

Someone in the Expo mentioned and I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything or knows about it.

Thanks,
econwriter5
econwriter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #12
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Something about new content standards where the content and context around keywords will be taken into account and affect rankings?
It's one of the most fascinating topics, but where that's concerned, nothing can beat printing out and reading through the white papers on the topic, and then watching the engines carefully for the subtle clues of it being implemented.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #13
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
LSI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
...nothing can beat printing out and reading through the white papers on the topic...
http*//javelina.cet.middlebury.edu/lsa/out/cover_page.htm

Anyone have an updated link for the above article, which for me was the best easy to understand intro? It's currently showing as a broken link.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #14
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Can't get that link to work, but there are some other papers & resources listed here

http://www.webmasterwoman.com/search...-analysis.html

More current ones need to be added (will be doing this weekend), there are some that specifically address semantic analysis & link analysis combined, which is what I think we need to be looking at.

Like this one - you couldn't tell by the title, but it touches on the correlation between the two

Web Search Via Hub Synthesis (PDF document)

Last edited by Marcia : 12-09-2005 at 03:18 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #15
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by econwriter5

Someone in the Expo mentioned and I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything or knows about it.

Thanks,
econwriter5
Hi econwriter...I did not hear the subject of Latent Semantic Indexing come up in any of the sessions I attended, now that you mention it. However, representatives from the search engines, especially Tim Mayer from Yahoo, spoke frequently about the improatnce of having contextually relevant content on a site as well as on those linking to you or from you. There was also the idea that the text around a link is more likely to be considered when determining the value of said link. Although it was not specifically mentioned, I would say that LSI was certainly intoned in these comments, since it essentially covers scanning for semantically similar content.
Old 12-09-2005   #16
Chris Boggs

Last day of coverage

Here are the sessions that were posted on the last day of the conference. Once again, I had a great time and learned a lot, and I want to thank Rusty and Ben for the opportunity to help them.

Local Search Marketing Tactics

Meet The Crawlers

Search Head or Tail

SEO Overkill

and last but not least... Measuring Success Case Studies
Old 12-22-2005   #17
Chris Boggs

Forgot to update this thread when these all went live. Link to daily recaps of SES Chicago 2005.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions in here.