Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Web Analytics & Tracking
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2005   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Urchin Now Google Analytics, Now FREE

Quote:
Google has now re-branded Urchin to Google Analytics presenting users with better ways to “understand and influence visitor behavior and generate a higher ROI on marketing initiatives”. Yes folks! It’s offering a free hosted web analytics service, in hopes that advertisers, publishers and website owners will spend time understanding how people find their websites, navigate through them and convert on the goals of the site. With the free service, Google hopes it helps people spend money on their search marketing campaigns rather than on measurement. This is going to have a huge impact on both the search marketing and the web analytics industries. Draw your own conclusions.
Read more here: http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/002791.html
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
NEW TOY!!!!!

All you need to do is give Google your data and upsell you on Adwords...

In my case, no problem, but I imagine some people would be less than enthusiastic about it. For me, it just solved a problem I've been having with a client with special needs, and I am happy.

But if I had just bought Urchin for big $$$, I'd be pretty annoyed right now....

Ian
Old 11-14-2005   #3
medkraft

medkraft is on a distinguished road
I've been a big fan of the Urchin solution for years and have fallen head over heels for Urchin 6.0.

It will definetly change the Analytics landscape as Eric Petersen suggests:

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/peterson/

From a business standpoint though, I would have charged a minimal fee (say $20 US per month) to help ensure continued product innovation and quality support as well as keep the regulators at bay (Google is looking more like Microsoft everyday).

Tom
medkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #4
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Just heard about this during a catch up phone call with Google - you beat me to it Nacho!!

It's an interesting twist - if a client is already tracking a range of campaigns (search, banner, affiliates etc) - then they already have a system - and the last thing they want is an 'orphaned' reporting solution that isn't integrated.

However - if they don't already have a system - this is the trojan horse to getting an integrated reporting system for all their online activity.......

Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #5
Matt B
drifting through . .

Matt B will become famous soon enough
Just as an FYI - the analytics are capped out at 5M page views, unless you are an AdWords Advertiser. Nice of G to throw that out there - essentially it is a trial version that you'll pay for one way or another.

On another note - the Terms of Service that you have to agree with state that "Google Services are for personal use only", and not commercial use. Yet Google Analytics is obviously being sold as a commercial use tool. So why do you have to agree that you are not using it commercially?

I understand the typical "commercial use" policy of using Google Services commercially, (not using Google services, such as search results to sell your own services) yet this clause seems very vague.

Last edited by Matt B : 11-14-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #6
carpediem

carpediem is on a distinguished road
Problems this morning

I like Urchin and the fact I now get to use it for free is great. I would like to see some improvements though. I look at the same reports every time I log in. And it takes a long time to go in an request the same data every time. They need to allow you to set up some memorized reports. It looks like they made some improvements, but I am unable to get things working properly this morning. Anyone else having issues?
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #7
Lyndsay
www.lyndseo.com

Lyndsay is on a distinguished road
I signed up this morning, but haven't been able to get anywhere yet. It says it is under maintenance. Looking forward to seeing what it will do.
Lyndsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #8
eurokc98

eurokc98 is on a distinguished road
Tried to check it out...

We're upgrading accounts. Please come back later.

Thanks for stopping by. We are currently migrating existing customers to the newly improved Google Analytics service. This process will be completed later this afternoon. Please come back then to sign up for Google Analytics.
eurokc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #9
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
This comes just in time, I just signed up for a trial month of urchin. I was definitely going to shell out the $200 per month, now I can get it for free. I gotta say thanks Google I think this rocks!
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #10
eurokc98

eurokc98 is on a distinguished road
Just Signed In!

Looks like its up now. Gonna give it a go. Anyone know of a good urchin tutorial?
eurokc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #11
yevlesh

yevlesh is on a distinguished road
Can anyone see the reports already? Mine still say " your reports will be ready within 12 hours" even though it has been about 24 since I put up the code.
yevlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #12
wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz is on a distinguished road
Google Analytics marks a new stage for websites

I think this is an earth-shaking development. With my own little SEO/web design firm, we have been planning for several months to revamp our way of doing business, early in the new year, to focus both on SEM and "user-centered design." In other words, focus on web design that is "usable" for the visitor, and converts. Now Google Analytics puts this approach squarely in front of everyone. Their Google Analytics website even mentions website design a few times. (I credit that great book by Bryan and Jeffrey Eisenberg, Call to Action, for the concepts I just mentioned.)

I think this heralds a major shift, which Call to Action really anticipated, which is a stage of maturing in the internet industry. In a nutshell, it's no longer enough to simply "have a website." The question is: does your website work? Does it deliver? With Google Analytics now in front of everyone, making it easy to look at such issues, it will be hard to escape the question. The bar has been raised, and it's about time.

WB
wiltonbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #13
dstew
Just me

dstew is on a distinguished road
multiple sites

If I'm reading correctly, there is no option to track multiple sites. So, this would not be an alternative to Webtrends Pro or Enterprise. Am I right?
dstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #14
kctipton

kctipton is on a distinguished road
I'd love to say this is easy to use, but it's not autodetecting code which is installed exactly as they say to. Are they suddenly overloaded or broken from the rush or what?
kctipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #15
wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz is on a distinguished road
Tracking sites in Google Analytics

Quote:
If I'm reading correctly, there is no option to track multiple sites. So, this would not be an alternative to Webtrends Pro or Enterprise. Am I right?
I believe you can track up to 50 sites in your account.

WB
wiltonbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #16
sunnymonkey
http://www.free-junk.com

sunnymonkey is on a distinguished road
Yes you can track 50

and in theroy, as you can give other google accounts access to profiles you could just open another google account, add another 50, and link the logins, thus you then have 100 profiles, add another account, 150, etc etc.

Dave

NOTE: I have not tried this, still waiting for one of the sites to work at least
sunnymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #17
dstew
Just me

dstew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltonbiz
I believe you can track up to 50 sites in your account.

WB
Hmmmm....interesting. Do you know if you can create multiple logins with restricted access to only one site? I've tried locating this info in the help section, but failed to find any...
dstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #18
imulus
Co-Founder, Imulus

imulus is on a distinguished road
Multiple account access

After logging in, in Analytics Setting scroll down to the lower left and click on ACCESS MANAGER, from there you can add new users and then define what they can/can't see.

Yet, after 24 hours I don't even see results for 5 sites I'm tracking... this really is frustrating because it seems like a beta.
imulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #19
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The inplications of Google grabbing all that information are scary.

Plus they are creating havoc in the analytic tool industry... do a Hunt Brothers act.

The Google Grinch
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #20
MarketingMind
Ashok Shinde

MarketingMind is on a distinguished road
Information at Disposbale of Google

I can't believe, and just the thought of making it Urchin coming free drives me crazy..

Was wondering now Google stands to benifit Billions from this data, trends and details which they will capture for almost all advertiser.

Cause I can't think of any other reason Google making it free for all advertiser... any comments

These shall sell like hotcakes...

I think thats the catch
MarketingMind is offline   Reply With Quote