Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005   #1
TheSage

TheSage is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Google Updates Illustrate the Dark Side Of Humanity

I have just been reading the 'Jagger' thread over at WMW. I re-joined after years of little or no interest in that particular forum, and was immediately reminded why I left in the first place. Nothing has changed: in fact it's deteriorated even further. I suspect it will be some years before I return again.

A thoroughly depressing thread and a thoroughly depressing read, which illustrates greed, stupidity and immorality, all in one episode.

There you have Google, the massive corporate, urging the masses to 'grass' each other up. They want people to report each other for the so-called ill-defined offence of 'spamming'. Then you have the masses there: falling over each other to grovel to the corporate and do exactly as asked. Then returning to boast about it in their subsequent posts!

It's simply staggering.

SPAM?
I think someone years ago described SPAM as: Sites Positioned Above Mine. That's not too far off the mark.

Quite apart from this, those misguided zealots on the WMW Jagger thread seem to be missing a pixel or two in failing to grasp the irony that by the very virtue of their presence on that thread they could be accused of 'spamming' via all sorts of interpretations. Certainly, they could hardly claim that they are not attempting to manipulate matters to increase their own rankings. What the hell are they doing on an SEO forum if they are not? Why are they engaging in threads discussing 'SEO' if they are not?

But of course they are all self-proclaimed 'white hats', especially once they have seen the Google-PR-Guy engage them. So that's OK then.

To laugh at them, or pity them? I don't know. Certainly it's hard to respect them. I think this time around I'll go for pity: 'they know not what they do'. As most of them seem already to be teetering on the edge of filtration, the old what goes around comes around my come around a lot quicker than they expect.

Thoroughly depressing though.
TheSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #2
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
Hey welcome TheSage..

it's a different form here, SEW is much more relaxed, so kick off your shoes and relax ..

Google update : well the first part seemed to be if your authority you get a boost and if you purchased Links or un natural Linkage ( in googles eyes not mine) .. I mean what is natural linkage these days ?? .. Pah

Google spam reporters .. don't get me started

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #3
TheSage

Thanks Dave. I am aware that the general nouse here is, shall we say, a little higher than over there.

That thread sort of reminds me of a childrens playground, with snotty nosed obnoxious kids climbing over each other to tell teacher. Just a vision it creates in my minds eye.
Old 10-28-2005   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
IN life there are 2 ways to get on :

1) Be the best you can and move to the top

2) Drag everyone who is above you too below your level ..

Both ways you end up at the Top, it depends on how you view life and how long you want to stay there .

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #5
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
Apart from the somewhat embarrassing crawling, I'm in two minds as to whether this encouragement to report spam is simply a PR exercise for "our" benefit, or if G is genuinely in need of help to fix stuff they should have mastered years ago....
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #6
palms

palms is on a distinguished road
<<A thoroughly depressing thread and a thoroughly depressing read, which illustrates greed, stupidity and immorality, all in one episode.>>

That's the genius of WMW's approach...the trash is all centered in one 800-post episode. Imagine if that garbage were spread out over the entire forum.

They establish a trash collection center, then simply keep hauling it away until it's all gone.
palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #7
TheSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengara
Apart from the somewhat embarrassing crawling, I'm in two minds as to whether this encouragement to report spam is simply a PR exercise for "our" benefit, or if G is genuinely in need of help to fix stuff they should have mastered years ago....
It certainly made me cringe to see it.

One particular low life was on there in an earlier iteration of the thread banging away about how terrible Google was. Suddenly, his site re-appears, and he's groveling all over the shop, and falling over himself to report other webmasters.

In some respects that sort of despicability is a bit of a warning, that there IS an underclass of the web society that is completely devoid of ethics or morality, and wouldn't hesitate to destroy your livelihood given the opportunity.

Overall though, it was a chilling experience to see the WMW Google Update thread again after such a long break, and to see the bottom of the barrel in action again.

Embarrassing in some respects certainly, but ghoulish in others, with the element of pity being that they fail to see how blatantly they are being used. There's also a bit of dark humor there as well I guess, but I won't be back there in a hurry.

Last edited by TheSage : 10-29-2005 at 02:06 PM.