Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
GoogleWashing, DupeWash, SourceWash -- Suggest Some Names!

Threadwatch is looking at how a post from Matt Cutt's blog is being buried under Matt's home page, along with content from others that posted a summary of what he said. You can read more over here: http://www.threadwatch.org/node/4091

Nick calls it a hijacking, but I explain in comments there as to why I disagree with that. But the issue of duplicate content of your own or others duplicating your content is a real one that seems to be growing. I think the problem needs a good name. Here's what I said at Threadwatch:
DupeWash -- the duplicate content filter causes the best pages from your OWN site to get lost. Usage: "I got dupewashed with that update." I'm not wedded to that term, just think we could use something less cryptic than "duplicate content filter."

SourceWash -- Related to DupeWash. It means the source material is washed out by all the duplicate content from across the web. You post, then 8 billion blogs repost what you had, then the source material gets wiped out.

Orlowski called the above (SourceWash) "GoogleWashed" way back in 2003, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04...ed_repurposed/, and when I did my write-up on the miserable failure search back then, http://searchenginewatch.com/serepor...le.php/3296101, I felt like he nailed a real issue that continued to grow. Clearly it has kept on.
Anyone have better names for this? Toss out some suggestions, then I'll do a poll up later on.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #2
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
GoogleRinse

GoogleCutt "I just got cutt from the results"

PageTanked
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #3
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
It's really just plain old 'duplicate content'. It's the same thing that happens to all sorts of other syndicated content on the web today. I put out a press release. A site picks it up and publishes it. The first site who gets crawled is considered the original. All others get thrown out.

This stuff has been happening for a long time now. I don't think it 'deserves' a name per se, it's just duplicate content. It's nothing special, really--except that it's happening to someone who is rather public in the search industry.
Old 10-04-2005   #4
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
Bacon Polenta'd - it's a perfect fit...
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #5
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
What's wrong with just calling it what it is -- the aging delay at work.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #6
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>the aging delay at work

And you in marketing too

Would you have called coca cola, brown sugary fizzy stuff?
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #7
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Quote:
Would you have called coca cola, brown sugary fizzy stuff?
LOL good point.

But I guess MY point was that this is nothing new, but the same thing many have been reporting for quite some time.

The good news is now that Matt C. can witness first hand how silly it is to think that all new sites have nothing worthwhile to rank for, maybe he can convince the powers to be to get rid of it!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #8
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I called it a "DupeDump" once and everyone listening got the point pretty fast. But that's just me...

But I've never written it down, so I don't know how I would spell it - dupe-dump, dupdump, dupedump, shooboobedoo bop.....

Ian
Old 10-05-2005   #9
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Nope, it's not new -- but I'd say it is rising in attention. I've wondered more and more, in particular at Google, why so many "near duplicate" pages would get rolled up that way when in reality, they weren't really near dupes at all. Anyway, good name suggestions, and I'll get the poll up in a bit.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #10
semsai
Search well and be optimized

semsai is on a distinguished road
GoogleWashing, DupeWash, SourceWash -- Suggest Some Names!

About a year ago a good friend of mine from Intrapromote once referred to the DupeWash phenomena as SyndiDupes, short for synidcated duplication. I thought that was a pretty accurate description.

Others?
semsai is offline   Reply With Quote