Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005   #1
NTR
Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson - Search Engine Stalker

NTR is on a distinguished road
When Did Yahoo Start Automatically Inserting Spell Checked Results?

All,

Did I miss this? I was searching for "jewelery" (yes, I am a notoriously - sp? lol - bad speller) and I know that Yahoo offers the "did you mean" below the search box.

But instead I saw:

Quote:
Tip jewelery is a common misspelling of jewelry. Results for jewelry are shown below.Did you want results for jewelery?
I looked up at the search box and "jewelery" was automatically changed to "jewelry" and the listings I saw were for the correct spelling.

Therefore if my mispelling was actually the correct spelling for what I needed (There was even an instance of "blogger" being changed to "bigger" which was... odd) I'd automatically be looking at incorrect results.

... and if I had been targeting a common mispelling in a site....

Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson
NTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #2
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Yahoo! is either more clever than that, or just plain dumb. "jewellery" is the correct spelling in most English speaking countries, and only a minority spell it "jewelry". If Yahoo! geo-locates people to offer them the correct spelling for their location, then they are even more clever than your post indicates, but if they offer "jewelry" to everyone, regardless of location, then are just plain dumb.

<added>
I'm in the UK, and Yahoo! gave me the same as you. The most common spelling here is "jewellery". "jewelry" may be in the dictionary as an alternative, but it looks wrong to people here because we never see it spalt like that. So Yahoo! is just plain dumb.

Last edited by PhilC : 10-03-2005 at 09:25 PM. Reason: addition
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #3
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Maybe it is geotargetting -

1. I'm getting the same results here in Australia for 'jewelery' on yahoo.com as Natasha & Phil both explained; but
2. On yahoo.com.au I get offered the (correct) alternative 'jewellery' (but as a 'Did you mean: jewellery' rather than the change Natasha explained)

Quote:
Jewellery (Jewelry in American spelling); consists of ornamental devices worn by persons...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewellery

So - for some words, on some Yahoo's - they still offer the 'alternative' - rather than just changing the search.

And they don't even try to offer 'color' as an alternative to 'colour' on Yahoo.com.au !!!!

Last edited by Chris_D : 10-03-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #4
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Very cool catch, Natasha. I blogged about it at the recently engaged rustybrick's SE Roundtable and discussed a couple of other Search Engines' current style. Interesting that MSN doesn't even offer a suggestion...

By the way everyone knows that the correct spelling is jewelry.

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 10-05-2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005   #5
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
but if you search for "custom jewelery" the results DON'T change but you get the typical "Did you mean: custom jewelry" linking to a search with the CORRECT spelling!
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote