Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Google Calendar Goes Live

via http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2005-09-30.html#n29

The URL http://calendar.google.com/ is up and running... No calendar yet...
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #2
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
It's up and running as Google Calendar Beta as of 2 hours ago!
http://calendar.google.com/

Integration with Gmail has not been 'unlocked' just yet, although the Calendar Help Center walks users through the process of adding Gmail events to a G-Calendar.

Of course, there is also a helpful migration page that shows users how to import from iCal, Yahoo Calendar and MS Outlook.

edit: clicking on print auto-generates a PDF export! Very slick.

Last edited by shor : 04-13-2006 at 02:34 AM.
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
So now they're turning into Goohoo. I kind of like the sound of that, always did like alliteration.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #4
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Chris has the Search Engine Watch write-up here: Google Calendar Makes an Impressive Debut.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #5
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
And like every new product they push out, it can't handle the load. It died on me as I was in the signup process.
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #6
NetSpireSolutions

NetSpireSolutions is on a distinguished road
Love it!

I just sent an email out to a bunch of people, I love the quick add feature. I typed in "doctors appt at 1pm on April 20th" and it put it right into the right place and time! Now I can dump my MSN calendar!

Oh yeah, just love the SMS alert funtion too, but MSN had that as well.

Tanya Mitchell
NetSpireSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #7
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Don't know if Google is watching this thread. But I have had some bugs to report.

Apparently "server failure" has happened twice today. Instead of creating one event it creates 6. I have to go back and delete the extra ones.

I am unable to edit a title of an event in the advanced editing section. I tried in vain to edit the title of an event I created and its doesn't work.

Additionally, there could be better support for entering times. For example if I enter a time "8pmDinnerwithBob". I accidently left out a space, the application doesnt pull the time out, it uses it as the complete title.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #8
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
who's bob?
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #9
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
I won't be surprised; it's still a beta release.

Last edited by ewc21 : 04-14-2006 at 04:33 AM.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #10
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
For the pessimists amongst us, lets take a negative look on this addition to Google's growing collection of value-added services.

Issue:
Almost all of Google's income stems from its advertising network "AdWords" – it is the life blood of the company. Although currently dominant in the market, other engines are taking a marketing sheet out of the Avis book - “We're the 2nd biggest, so we try harder”. Yahoo is trying to keep up with the giant through the acquisition of Overture as well as the tweaking/re-branding of its Paid Inclusion and PPC service, although MSN's new AdCenter seems to show the most promise.

MSN may not be the search engine of choice for most people, but with Microsoft now fully behind its relatively insignificant online revenue source, things are starting to hot up. The search provider is making sure that they keep the big SEM Agencies happy through good Customer Service and listening to what AdCenter features the clients want (unlike Google IMHO). More importantly, they have enough money to buy out other Ad Networks/Search Portals plus use their secret weapon - Microsoft Passport.

Passport offers surprisingly accurate and detailed information about millions of internet users across the globe. Microsoft made sure that no matter what online services it offered, the user needed a "Passport" to access it. Think about how many people use Hotmail, Windows XP or chat on MSN Messenger. Even corporate users and partners need a Passport login to access comprehensive manuals and licensing areas. With MSN planning to use this data to offer demographic matching to its advertisers, a new form of campaign optimisation is released to the world.

If Google had launched similar abilities last year, there would be no stopping the empire from gaining even more market share. Unfortunately the "Do No Evil" motto which Google held so dear meant that they never really looked to catch visitor data. The first attempt of this was with Gmail and Google Homepage, although even this offered little insight into the end-user. How old are they? Which part of the country are they from? Are they employed? Do they have children? This is the information that advertisers need in order to further enhance CPA, and performance. Google didn't have to publish this data or even offer more then just an age group, gender or estimated income.

The Solution:
In order to mend this hole in their armor, Google needed to launch a central user information repository similar to Microsoft Passport. They didn't have an operating system to request registration after installation or a widely used software suite however. The only way to get this data would be to launch new online services backed by intrigue, suspense and daily PR leaks and hype. Using the old age marketing trick of restricting access through an invitation-only and high demand queue meant that users would trample over each other to enter their details – not thinking of it as they would with every other data capture form you come across each day on the world wide web.

Conclusion:
Google Calendar is a very nice service which I'm sure will become very popular – just bear in mind that they probably aren't looking to make money out of sticking some AdWords on the tool. Let's face it, who actually clicks on the adverts in Gmail? Also, will Google connect your mobile number for Calendar SMS features to their new “Click-To-Call” (Pay Per Call adverts) service?

Of course, this is just one outsiders personal opinion – I could be totally wrong, with a tin foil hat keeping government and alien brain control signals out of my head.
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #11
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
Please don't tell anyone where I work about this.
There are some great features, that I don't want to have to integrate into our extranet calendar just now. Common Google, stop making such great stuff that the rest of us have to copy.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote