Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2005   #1
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
Yahoo Site Explorer Now Live!

finally...

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #2
softplus
old-n-grey

softplus is on a distinguished road
wow.

That took them how long?

Is there something behind that other than site / link queries?
softplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I've done a summary of things over here on the blog, which also links to a detailed look for SEW paid members.

Here are my top line thoughts:

You can see all pages from all domains, one domain, or a directory/section within a domain. Thumbs up!

You can NOT pattern match to find all URLs from a domain. That would be nice.

You can see all links to a specific page or a domain. Thumbs up!

You can NOT exclude your own links, very unfortunately. Two thumbs down!

You can export data, but only the first 50 items, unfortunately. Thumbs down!

More wish list stuff:

Search commands such as link: aren't supported, and I hope that might come.

You can get a feed of your top pages, but I want a feed of backlinks to inform me of new ones that are found. Site owners deserve just as much fun as blog owners in knowing about new links to them!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #4
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Search Engine Pages and Inlinks results through Yahoo's Site Explorer

Yahoo: Pages (947,409) | Inlinks (37,241,295)
Gigablast: Pages (160,058) | Inlinks (174,972)
MSN: Pages (12,417) | Inlinks (5,131,488)
Google: Pages (7,343) | Inlinks (155,596,117)
Teoma: Pages (1,715) | Inlinks (383,514)
Ask: Pages (14) | Inlinks (2,031,160)

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #5
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
One more for the wish list... it would be great to be able to do searches within the reported inlinks. MSN currently provides the best capability for doing this, and it's extremely useful.

At SES, when he announced Site Explorer, Tim mentioned that one of Yahoo's intentions was to move backlink and url searches off the main page. I don't know whether providing additional search capability might in effect be moving it back, or at least back to that part of the engine that Yahoo wants to fence off.

Right now it feels like cripple-ware. I'd love to see it with all the features Danny asks for.

Incidentally, I really like the word "inlink"... much more descriptive than "backlink," but not as commonly used. I hope it catches on.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #6
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
I would also like to be able to see more results per page, or have the ability to set it just like you can with regular search preferences.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #7
softplus
old-n-grey

softplus is on a distinguished road
If anyone's interested, I used the API to make a "tuned" version:

- gets up to 1000 URLs on one page
- can export all of them at once to a tsv-file
- lets you sort on URL or title
- lets you filter based on URLs within your site, external URLs or whatever you want (regex)
- lets you play tic-tac-toe while waiting (but the computer cheats sometimes, I haven't found that bug yet )

However, as Yahoo is limiting access to 5000 queries/IP (= my server), that's all I can offer + each external IP is limited to 60 queries (= block of 100 URLs) per day (but it caches existing queries, so it doesn't matter how often you play with the same query).

Give it a spin, but don't break it :-): http://johannesmueller.com/tools/yse/
softplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #8
Sharon and Roy
We Teach An Online SEO Class

Sharon and Roy is on a distinguished road
Which Search Engine Will Recognize The Term Inlinks First?

::: Which Search Engine Will Recognize The Term Inlinks First? :::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Charlton
Incidentally, I really like the word "inlink"... much more descriptive than "backlink," but not as commonly used. I hope it catches on.
Hi Robert,

First Yahoo will have to recognize that term because currently they do not, nor does Google or MSN.

Quote:
Google - Did you mean: in links (105,000 Documents)

Yahoo - Did you mean: in links (47,000 Documents)

MSN - Were you looking for inklink (6,235 Documents)

Ask (3,200 Documents)

Quote:
Google (3,350,000 Documents)

Yahoo - Also try: yahoo backlinks (4,510,000 Documents)

MSN (255,852 Documents)

Ask (591,700 Documents)
Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
Sharon and Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #9
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Hi Sharon & Roy

I suspect that you misinterpreted Robert_Charlton's post.

Yahoo now offers 'inlinks' - but it isn't a "search box command:"

Quote:
After you submit your URL and click the Explore URL button, you'll see a page with 50 results. Note that, unlike web search, where users are looking for content, Site Explorer results do not include abstracts. Rather, they show structure.
Site Explorer lets you view two aspects of sites:
<snip>
Viewing inlinks
To view inlinks for a result, click the Inlinks link at the top of the page.
http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com...orer/learnmore

Its not a command invoked from the Yahoo! search box - its a 'clickable link' feature on http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

I suspect Robert was suggesting that Yahoo! should consider allowing searching within the inlinks results - using an operator similar to the MSN inanchor: command - which I think is a great idea.

Then you could search the Yahoo! inbound links for specific anchor text.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #10
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_D
I suspect Robert was suggesting that Yahoo! should consider allowing searching within the inlinks results - using an operator similar to the MSN inanchor: command - which I think is a great idea.

Then you could search the Yahoo! inbound links for specific anchor text.
Yes, that is what I was suggesting... The problem in implementing it, I suspect, is that the Site Explorer searchbox is probably not set up to recognize anything but urls, which is a huge limitation.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #11
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Softplus - your tool is excellent! Rep for you!

Specifically - your tool solves my Yahoo! .tsv issue - the Yahoo! .tsv would only give me the top 50 - it gives the same .tsv on every page of results!

Thanks!

Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #12
echolu

echolu is on a distinguished road
backlinks vs inbound links

hi Guys,
need your helps. thanks in advance!
my question is most of guys think backlinks=inbound links, i though so before, and i thought backlinks are not include internal links, but i see backlinks through google toolbar, found backlinks include internal links, i am confused, because glossory explain inbound links is “Links pointing to a website. When a user arrives at a website from another site, that link is called an Inbound Link.
” pls notice is “from another site” not “from another pages”, it is different, so i think inbound links arenot include internal links, inbound links not = backlinks, backlinks’s explain is “Backlinks are links pointing at a specific page. Most major search engines allow you to see who is linking to a page or site. That process is called “checking backlinks”. Some toolbars have shortcuts for this process. The syntax is often “link:http://example-url-here/”..
“. what do you think it? i am crasy for it now, need your help really!
echolu is offline   Reply With Quote