Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005   #1
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
SEO David Karandish on Martha Stewart's Apprentice

You may have been surpised to find out that Martha Stewart signed a deal with NBC for a reality show, shortly after her release from prison.

Brace yourselves for this- a contestant on the ex-con superstar homemaker's new reality hit is: An SEO Consultant!

My sister recognized contestant David Karandash from a search conference a few months back. The official show's web site lists David's occupation as an owner of an "internet ad agency". Karandash's website confirms that he is in the business of SEO Consulting!

Danny talks about it on today's SEW blog.

Share your thoughts. Do you think Martha could use a good SEO to reinvent her image on the web?

Last edited by jewboy : 09-28-2005 at 12:07 PM.
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #2
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
that's funny! I didn't get to see the first episode of Martha's Apprentice last week. Now I HAVE to watch!

Blog here: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050928-084856
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #3
redclaw

redclaw is on a distinguished road
Him being an SEO is a joke right?

I mean:
http://www.karandish.com/browse/kara...solutions.html
or
http://www.karandish.com/

Neither is really an SEO website. Heck, I'd be embarrassed to call it a website since there is nothing useful there and dead links.

Also I was looking at archive.org... this guy is not an SEO. At least not at the website that people think belongs to him (above):
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://karandish.com
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.karandish.com
redclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #4
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
redclaw,

I think that's a bit harsh.

Heck, we could have a killer contest of well-known SEO's with poor or non-existent websites. who would win? i think i'd be right up there in placing contention.

In fact, many people consider that to be a telling sign of a good SEO - they don't have time to work on their own, or they don't focus on it because they already get so many referrals or new business from conference leads.

First of all, to be fair, David Karandish is a youngin' - only 22 - so basically, fresh out of college, and all that Archive.org shows is the personal sites he had while in school. I see nothing wrong with that. Many people do that. big deal.

Personally, I'm now looking forward to the day that David himself can get on here (if he's not already) and talk about his experience or something.
Old 09-29-2005   #5
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Man, I'd better start returning David's calls! (Or Martha's for that matter. )

I wonder what's next? A new drama:

"Ted McGinley, SEO"

aaaaaaayyyyyy,

Andrew
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #6
redclaw

redclaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
redclaw,

I think that's a bit harsh.

Personally, I'm now looking forward to the day that David himself can get on here (if he's not already) and talk about his experience or something.
I'm just saying... anybody and their dog can be an SEO just by putting SEO on their site? Nah.

While there are some very smart young cookies out there i.e. Blake Ross of Firefox fame...

At 22 you mean to tell me that Karandish is the face of SEO... some one with little to no real, honest experience in SEO, marketing, etc. perhaps an internship but no real experience....

...A site that is under construction and has no posts, text, or content? I disagree.

It's like any reality show where they could have a garbage man and call him a sanitation engineer. So ... does he perform city planing or design aerodynamic garbage cans for Rubbermaid or something, or just pick up trash? He may have a website, may even consult at a major company as an intern for the SEO or IT department, but this doesn't mean he is an SEO.

All I'm saying... in my own heavy handed way is this....

Lets have higher standards before we call him an SEO.

It's like my uncle having an ebay affiliate site and if he got on the show then they promote him as CEO of a major internet company... it's not true. His page is not a major company in and of itself and he is not a CEO of anything.

So he hung a shingle with the word SEO... big deal. I'd bet he is a good guy but it doesn't make him an SEO. It is like saying I'm an SEO just because I post in this forum...
redclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #7
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Way cool! Apparently he's friends with Rob Snell from ystore who some of you might know from conferences as well. Rob is the amazing funny guy from Mississipi who pretends to be a hick, but we all know better.

I watched the show for the first time last night, and actually did notice David, but I don't recall him saying much.

Go David!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #8
Elisabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redclaw
At 22 you mean to tell me that Karandish is the face of SEO... some one with little to no real, honest experience in SEO, marketing, etc. perhaps an internship but no real experience....
who said he was the "face of SEO"? lol, I think he'd have to fight danny for that title.

and I don't think you really have the right to say that he has "little to no real, honest experience..." - because you can't possibly know that unless you actually know him or his clientele.

FWIW, there are several *brilliant* SEO minds that are under the age of 22, or around there, so I'm not at all implying that just because he's young, he doesn't know anything. While of course, we all know practical experience also goes a long way.

oh, and his other personal is site linked from Rob Snell's entry that jill mentioned -

http://www.davidkarandish.com/

oh, and out of curiosity, what would satisfy your requirements for this comment:

Quote:
Lets have higher standards before we call him an SEO.
having SEO consulting gigs? attending SEO conferences?
seems like he's done that... what else is on your list?

Last edited by Elisabeth : 09-29-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2005   #9
RobSnell

RobSnell is on a distinguished road
Not that he needs me to, but I can personally vouch for Mr. Karandish's SEO chops.

Not that he needs me to, but I can vouch for Mr. Karandish's SEO chops.

Last summer, the CEO of MonsterCommerce dropped by my office to introduce this former intern she "knew I would get along with and just had to meet." Hours later I had four 4x8 whiteboards full of notes and my head was spinning.

Let's just say I'm glad Dave doesn't sell dog collars (or develop Yahoo! Stores) and is into much, much more competitive niches than I am. And he's a really swell guy, too.

Rob Snell
Somewhere in Mississippi
RobSnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #10
nima1353

nima1353 is on a distinguished road
Don't know him. But it seems to me he has done a good job creating a buzz in the industry and getting so many natural backlinks to his site just by participating in the program.
nima1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #11
cguthri

Hehe, I know David personally and I know for a fact that he is definetely too busy with real work to update his website. The guy is definetely going places if you ask me.

- charles guthrie
collinsville, IL
Old 09-30-2005   #12
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I believe Nick Heinle was about 17 or so when this was published, and at that time was doing a Javascript column at a major tech site.

So much for age.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #13
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Whalen
Way cool! Apparently he's friends with Rob Snell from ystore who some of you might know from conferences as well. Rob is the amazing funny guy from Mississipi who pretends to be a hick, but we all know better.

I watched the show for the first time last night, and actually did notice David, but I don't recall him saying much.

Go David!
Quit giving away secrets, Jill. You're leaking important material from my next book -- The Rob Snell Secret.

I think I was watching The Apprentice last night but didn't even know if it was a new episode so I forgot to look for David. Honestly, I can't stand the show.

Speaking of Snell though, he actually is working on a book about Yahoo Stores. Ergo, too busy to appear on a silly TV show.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #14
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
I wonder what's next?
- SEO Challenge

- The Iron SEO

- SEO Survivor

- Lost
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #15
PerformanceSEO
"Be Accountable"

PerformanceSEO will become famous soon enoughPerformanceSEO will become famous soon enough
I thought that guy looked familiar (ummmm...my wife watches the show).

Anything that can help get the word out about SEO, I'm for.
PerformanceSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #16
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Along with the esteemed Mr. Snell, I can also vouch for David. Heck Matt Cutts even blogged about him being an SEO so I guess we can call Dave an SEO.

As far as his site? His primary site that he has optimized isnt his personal page, it is completely different in a very competitive industry. Heck I didn't even have a website for two years while I was consulting in SEO...just too darn busy, and I think I'm fairly proficient at it.

Even now, I probably have as much content on my own site as Elizabeth and I havent even updated it in two years. Quite frankly I dont want business that is generated via my site because the calls I get really just waste my time and they hang up when they hear my prices anyway.

Wishing David the best of luck during the show, lets just hope his team can turn some wins now!

Joe

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 10-13-2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #17
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
So, David got the boot last night...the good news, Martha Stewart Living, Omnimedia, were interested in his services. He blogged a bit about his send off here.

Wonder if he is providing seo/sem services for them now!?!

Last edited by KevinSource : 10-27-2005 at 12:12 PM.
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #18
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
funny we have a client that bids on "recipe" and "recipes." advised them to boost up the budget for the next couple of days for that one.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #19
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
Congrads for making it this far into the season!

Martha is a tough cookie.

Best of luck.
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #20
Elisabeth

Sorry to hear that David.

I missed the show last night, but there's video clips available on the YAHOO! Apprentice site:
http://apprentice.tv.yahoo.com/martha/01/