Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2005   #1
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
New - Personalized Google Homepage!

Consistent with Google's understated style, there's just a simple text link to it at the top right of the usual Google homepage, but here we have it:

http://www.google.com/ig

I just now caught it so there hasn't been a chance to fully explore the possibilities and features yet, but this is a long time coming, and given Google's resources and capabilities it will be totally useful. I'm delighted about it!

Added:

There's a "word of the day" with a definition. Today's is

Quote:
officious: meddlesome.
Hey, that's me! I haven't even set up personalization yet, and they've already got it working right.

Last edited by Marcia : 09-14-2005 at 03:10 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #2
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Have been playing with the interface for the past 20 minutes or so. I love it.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
This has been out there for two or three months now, to those who knew the exact URL. But so I'm clear, you've see it now offered on the regular Google home page for the first time?

I'm not on my end. But then again, I never saw the Hurricane donate link that supposedly was on that page as well. I do see a "Go to Google UK" link on the home page that I don't recall seeing before if I was at Google.com.

Curious, I checked the cache:
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:z.../+google&hl=en

Yep, there's the Hurricane link that Matt Cutts said was out there. So apparently, Google's doing IP delivery/cloaking of its home page to those of us in the UK and probably elsewhere.

Pretty dumb move if so, since anyone coming from outside the US may well want to donate to hurricane relief or see the personal home page link
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #4
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
I'm not seeing it as a link from www.google.com either (from Australia) or from www.google.com.au - but Marcia's link works.

Only problem is I get the "You need to have JavaScript enabled to use this page." warning....

Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Yep, it's official. Google's blog says this has been graduated to being a home page link.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
It's right on the homepage in the upper right hand corner, and once you've signed in with a Google account it shows these links when you aren't logged in

Quote:
Personalized Home | Sign in
And when you are logged in, it shows the account address on the main homepage along with these links

Quote:
youraccount@gmail.com | Personalized Home | My Account | Sign out
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #7
Andy1969

Andy1969 is on a distinguished road
I've had it has my default home page since Google launched it. I have my most important RSS feeds on there (BBC ecommerce news, UK weather, word of the day, quote of the day, SEW feed, etc) Gmail inbox and a few favourite links.

Had a few issues with trying to swop from 1 user to another i.e. two people with Gmail accounts logging onto same machine, it seems to get a little mixed up sometimes, so maybe take care if logging into a 'shared/ public' PC'.

Just wish there was a UK version...time will tell I suppose

Works great on FF don't care about IE
Andy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #8
5starAffiliatePrograms
Affiliate Management Consultant

5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough
I created a personalized page and loaded my blog in there the day it 1st launched, just so my blog would be included in their blog search once people started using it. Glad I did, it comes up #1 course it comes up #1 on regular Google too. I don't use the /ig page as an RSS reader though. Still kind of prefer the Yahoo set up - plus have too many feeds at Yahoo to bother switching over.

The good thing is maybe more consumers will start using the ig page and pulling in people's RSS feed content, even if they don't quite know what an RSS feed is yet. Think it will just help "consumerize" blogs a little more. Is that a word or did I just coin a new phrase?

Linda
5starAffiliatePrograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #9
Andy1969

Andy1969 is on a distinguished road
hmm Googles answer to personal homepage?

http://www.start.com/pdc/

or

http://www.start.com/3/
Andy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote