Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2005   #1
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation The Orion Search Engine

Some from Puerto Rico sent me this news. It is about a new search engine development by Ori Allon, a grad student from Australia. He call it the Orion search engine. Not mine, btw.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-nse090605.php

It appears to be a remote-search technology, but I could be wrong.

The news has it that

"The results to the query are displayed immediately in the form of expanded text extracts, giving you the relevant information without having to go the website--although you still have that option if you wish," said Israeli-born Allon, who completed a Bachelor and Masters degree at Monash University in Melbourne before moving to UNSW for his PhD.

"By displaying results to other associated key words directly related to your search topic, you gain additional pertinent information that you might not have originally conceived, thus offering an expert search without having an expert's knowledge.

"Take a search such as the American Revolution as an example of how the system works. OrionTM would bring up results with extracts containing this phrase. But it would also give results for American History, George Washington, American Revolutionary War, Declaration of Independence, Boston Tea Party and more. You obtain much more valuable information from every search."

The idea of finding information without having to click through to websites came from Allon's supervisor, Eric Martin, back in March this year. "I provided the spark. But it is Ori who has developed this through his amazing creativity and sheer hard work over these past months," said Mr Martin.

According to the release, Microsoft already appears to be interested in the technology.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
According to the release, Microsoft already appears to be interested in the technology.
I think you misinterpreted the press release orion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by press release
Andrew Stead of New South Innovations, the technology transfer company within UNSW, says he is confident that Orion TM will fill a gap in the market noted by Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

"Bill Gates was recently quoted in Forbes magazine as saying that we need to take the search way beyond how people think of it today. We believe that OrionTM will do that."
The official press release from my alma mater:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/arti...sep/Orion.html

I also can not find the search engine itself, as no link is mentioned in the media release. I assume that it is still under wraps?
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3
BroadProspect

BroadProspect is on a distinguished road
more detailed and related products

there is a discussion on that at the Search Engines Marketing blog at orion search engine details article and on some of the otehr products that does almost the same at Orion like products
I actually had a chance to play with some and they are nice, it may mean a lot to teh SEO community but it is not a solution to all need
/bp
BroadProspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #4
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

1. Not! I don't I have misinterpreted anything, (except for the Microsoft part, perhaps and I give you that). As a matter of fact, I emailed Ori Allon and received prompt response from Andrew Stead, Business Development Manager of UNISEARCH LIMITED (Soon to be NewSouth Innovations). Since the email is marked confidential I cannot discuss its content.

2. I agree there is no such thing as a silver bullet.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 09-12-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2005   #5
zeevveez
zeevveez

zeevveez is on a distinguished road
test this revolutionary new search engine

The problem is that you can not test this revolutionary new search engine.
There is another software that extracts micro content from Google or Yahoo that you can test
http://qtsaver.dynalias.com/
zeevveez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
orion

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevveez
The problem is that you can not test this revolutionary new search engine.
There is another software that extracts micro content from Google or Yahoo that you can test
http://qtsaver.dynalias.com/
That's true. It's still in beta. A rumor has it that they are looking for either investment or buyers.

For those interested in reviewing this other search tool quoted by zeevveez, please feel free to open a new thread for that purpose. So this thread stays on-topic.

Orion
Old 09-15-2005   #7
Mainstream Ad
Mainstream AD

Mainstream Ad is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Congrat's

I think when this is release it will change the way.All searches are performed
you will be able to spend less time looking and more finding.

Also i would like more information..this is just really great!!
Mainstream Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #8
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
A pleasant update to the Orion story. Ori Alon and his search engine/tool were snapped up by Google. He began working at the Googleplex in February.

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/703986.html

Quote:
'Search engine giant Google recently acquired an advanced text search algorithm invented by Ori Alon, an Israeli student. Sources believe Yahoo and Microsoft were also negotiating with the University of New South Wales in Australia, where Alon is a doctoral student in computer science.'
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #9
mesadynamics

mesadynamics is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Interesting. The ability to automatically discover related topics/content from keyword-based-search is also the strategy behind the ConceptQ Pro search and discovery tool (sits on top of Google, msn, etc.) from Q-Phrase.

I'm curious as to whether Google will implement Orion's technology on the backend or, like ConceptQ Pro, on the frontend (perhaps as a AJAX client?).
mesadynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #10
Stegosaurus Cowboy
Your lag time = my "bullet-time"

Stegosaurus Cowboy is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. This begs the question "how should I optimize for Orion (besides having a site that is relevant in the first place)?" It would seem that gaining the top position in results of this type would necessitate building one's own neighborhood, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.
Stegosaurus Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #11
samsonmax

samsonmax is on a distinguished road
Very interesting! I'm sure that this functionality is a big improvement.

But I think that this kind of algorithm is only the first step, because currently (as far as I know ;-) ) all algos like 'Orion' only estimate related topics in accordance to a given search string or resultset. Hence these algorithms can't be used in domains where high quality information and functionality is needed for a 'diagnostic search'.

A good example would be the medical domain. Starting with a given symptom, in ideal case the search engine delivers all possible diseases and proposes categorized concepts for a search refinement (to make a diagnosis). The categories should be adapted to the domain-specific needs (process-orientation). In medicine that should be 'other symptoms','localisation' and 'possible causes'.

Yet no popular search engine is able to provide this kind of functionality.
If you look at current search engines, the proposed related topics can't be used as they are too imprecise, uncomplete and not categorized according to the clinical needs of medical experts:

http://www.ask.com/web?o=312&dm=lang&qsrc=19&q=glaucoma

I think, that the needed functionality can't be computed by the use of NLP or other algorithms. The semantic structure of the domain-knowledge is needed. Therefor a german project-team built up the currently biggest ontology for the medical domain (currently nearly 7000 diseases). Using this ontology enabled me to build a 'diagnostic search engine' with the required functionality.

Although it is in german, you might understand it.
Searching for 'Fieber' (fever) provides the following result set of all possible diseases which have 'fever' as symptom:

http://public.medrapid.info/expert/c..._search=fieber

On the right side you can see the categorized concepts which can be used for a search refinement (click on green plus-button). (Lokalisation = localisation, Symptome= symptoms, Ursache = cause).

You can compare this new search engine with google maps: You can zoom into the world of medicine and navigate all semantic structures.

Our technology is language independent and we are currently working on an english version.

Because of that I am very interested to see 'Orion' in action

So the main question is: Can intelligent algorithms compute all needed complex knowledge structures?

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 11-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.
samsonmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #12
Stone Cold

Stone Cold is on a distinguished road
Orion could be about the Zoom

It seems to me that the Orion purchase could be about the "Zoom" functionality. This is the idea that once you get your search results, you also get links to results for similar, highly related ideas.

So if you searched on the American Revolution, you get additional options that narrow your search (e.g. American Revolution timeline), expand your search (Boston Tea Party), or otherwise show other related things to search for. Ask offers this today, and its useful functionality.
Stone Cold is offline   Reply With Quote