Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Searching Tips & Techniques
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2005   #1
zeoncitizen

zeoncitizen is on a distinguished road
Question any way to find by domain wildcard?

for example I want to find domain that beging with "y", ends with "news" and it's COM domain.

how to find this y*news.com

is it possible generally? where (what search engine) ?

thank you!
zeoncitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #2
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Hi Zeoncitizen, and welcome to the SEW forums!

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of how you can do the type of search you want in Google.

allinurl: operator

Quote:
Note that [allinurl:] works on words, not url components. In particular, it ignores punctuation. Thus, [allinurl: foo/bar] will restrict the results to page with the words "foo" and "bar" in the url, but won't require that they be separated by a slash within that url, that they be adjacent, or that they be in that particular word order. There is currently no way to enforce these constraints.
inurl: operator
Quote:
If you include [inurl:] in your query, Google will restrict the results to documents containing that word in the url. For instance, [inurl:google search] will return documents that mention the word "google" in their url, and mention the word "search" anywhere in the document (url or no). Note there can be no space between the "inurl:" and the following word.
http://www.google.com/help/operators.html

The only way I can think of is that some domain name providers offer this type of search - but they would generally be for domains available for sale - rather than all domains. Have a look at some domain broker sites.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #3
zeoncitizen

zeoncitizen is on a distinguished road
thank you Chris_D.

i know that google operators will not help. i know that russian SE yandex does this search but this SE indexes only russian web and a little bit of international web, but not all.

i thought maybe other SE exists that do such thing.

thx anyway :-)
zeoncitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #4
SearchWildCard

SearchWildCard is on a distinguished road
Re: any way to find by domain wildcard?

You can try www.newwebdir.com . It's definitely a wildcard search for active websites.

Last edited by Chris_D : 03-02-2008 at 02:27 AM.
SearchWildCard is offline   Reply With Quote