Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2004   #1
wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Using search engine submission software

I was just reading an ad for some search engine submission software, and it sure sounded good. A few clicks, and I'm submitted to thousands of search engines, and directories, etc. I read testimonials from users who said their traffic increased tenfold after using the product.

Now I'm fairly new at SEO, and I have never used such a tool. And I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that there is a downside. Before I take the plunge (or not) -- what do other people think about using this software?
wiltonbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
There aren't any thousands of search engines, there are only a few that actually drive any traffic. And those will find sites through following links. It's also impossible to rank with no links. Besides, submission won't do anything for a site unless it's properly optimized - which is not rocket science, it just takes spending some time learning.

Incidentally, automated submissions are not only an exercise in futility, they violate the TOS of search engines - you can read it at Google's site; they do not like automated anything.

Save your money and put whatever resources you have into learning more about site promotion so you'll be operating on a solid base. There's a wealth of information available for anyone who's willing to learn, some at modest cost and some at no cost.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-24-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004   #3
Terry Plank

Terry Plank has a spectacular aura aboutTerry Plank has a spectacular aura about
I think Marcia is right on target. In addition to automatic submissions being of minimal value and violating Google's TOS, Google seems to prefer to find you through a link rather than from their submission process. Seems to be more of a vote of value if it's found, over being submitted to.
Old 07-24-2004   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Terry, I've had just one temporary page up on a new site with only one link to it. It's already in Google's index and had a revision picked up within 2 days, Slurp's been all over it, and Jeeves has already paid a visit. No submitting anyplace.

Search engines do what they say they are - they actually search for sites!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004   #5
Terry Plank

Terry Plank has a spectacular aura aboutTerry Plank has a spectacular aura about
Yep, my experience as well. No need to submit to Google especially. I also have good experience with Yahoo! finding whatever I put up. I haven't found it necessary to rely on paying for inclusion with Yahoo!.
Old 07-26-2004   #6
wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz is on a distinguished road
Auto submission to search engines

Thanks to Marcia and Terry for replying to my post. It confirms what I thought about these auto submission processes. To date, I have optimized about 20 small sites for search engines, and had good success, without doing anything "tricky" or "spammy" or against the TOS of the search engines. I have to say though, these companies that offer the services are very slick, with their advertising and sophisticated looking websites! Kinda scary that so much questionable product is being offered in this industry. I am learning to tread very carefully, and triple check all major actions before implementing!
wiltonbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #7
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
Its been many many moons since I've submitted a site to ANY search engine. No need if you build good incoming links.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #8
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
I agree with STon3y, I cant remeber the last time we submitted to search engines. There are enough crawlers actively moving and indexing all the time.

Setting up quality themed links will be the answer. If enough people follow that routine it will quickly put and end to the theory that by"submting your site to 150,000 search engines for 49.95" actually works

Cheers

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote