Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which three would you vote for? WRITE-INS OK...post them.
Sergey Bryn 18 72.00%
Larry Page 18 72.00%
Eric Schmidt 3 12.00%
Jerry Yang 11 44.00%
David Filo 1 4.00%
Terry Semel 3 12.00%
Bill Gates 5 20.00%
Paul Allen 1 4.00%
Steven Ballmer 2 8.00%
Barry Diller 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2005   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
OK, (you started it, NFFC) Who ARE the three most powerful people in search?

Sergey Bryn (Google Co-Founder)
Larry Page (same)
Eric Schmidt (CEO Google)
Jerry Yang (Yahoo Co-Founder)
David Filo (Same)
Terry Semel (Chairman/CEO Yahoo)
Bill Gates (duh you better know who he is)
Paul Allen (Co-Founder MS)
Steven Ballmer (CEO MS)
Barry Diller (Chairman/CEO IAC/InterActive Corp - New owners of AskJeeves)

Could not include since max of ten poll choices, but there is another 6 to consider strongly if "Writing in:"

Danny Sullivan
Chris Sherman
Jill Whalen
Matt Cutts for being the G/SEM "liaison"
Tim Mayer for being the same for Yahoo
Kai-Fu Lee (The "rope" in a tug of war between MS and G)
Write in Candidate (post choice)

Votes are private except write-ins (your chance to part the cheeks :P)...and I'll thown mine in later

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 08-22-2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo...late catch.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #2
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
I vote Jill Whalen.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFFC
I vote Jill Whalen.
If only you weren't being sarcastic!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #4
mick g

mick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the rough
Yep I second Jill Whalen
mick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #5
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
Bill Gross
(at least an honorable mention?)
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #6
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webvisitor
Bill Gross
(at least an honorable mention?)
Bill Gross is certainly influencial, if you are talking about the founder of the incubator idealab or the powerful bond broker, but I would not place either of them on the list of people influencial in search...
Old 08-18-2005   #7
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
'powerful' like influence the industry or 'powerful' like can ruin a million people overnight?

Larry and Sergey might be influential but that little guy in the office with his finger on the algo slider scares the whatsit out of me
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #8
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
I'm kinda surprised to see Page and Bryn at the top of the list. Sure they started Google, but Schmidt is in the drivers seat now.

Look at the headlines - "Schmidt's Google to release more shares"

The perception (at least from the stock market) is that he's in control.

Of course I'd say being in the industry that Page and Bryn are more influential but outside this industry I'd give the nod to Schmidt
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #9
searchengineblog.com
There's an anti. Let's up it.

searchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura aboutsearchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura about
Gotta be Jill
searchengineblog.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #10
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
For the "Writing in" list, I'd include Mike Grehan.
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #11
Chris Boggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_Goetsch
For the "Writing in" list, I'd include Mike Grehan.
you mean the scientist who classified "green fairy dust?"
Old 08-19-2005   #12
Chris Boggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I'm kinda surprised to see Page and Bryn at the top of the list. Sure they started Google, but Schmidt is in the drivers seat now.

Look at the headlines - "Schmidt's Google to release more shares"

The perception (at least from the stock market) is that he's in control.

Of course I'd say being in the industry that Page and Bryn are more influential but outside this industry I'd give the nod to Schmidt
you know I was toying with what order to put the list, but I just went with the way they came out. Funny that you point that out...very true from a wall street perspective...most investors look at the CEO for confidence, and the stock certainly doesn't seem to be tanking. I think you are right on when you say that Larry and Sergey are more influencial when it comes to industry-insiders. Looks like the votes so far agree with that.

<added> hmm I may have spoken too soon...not keeping up with it since I stupidly didn't believe the hype </added>

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 08-19-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 08-21-2005   #13
Shak
dot communist

Shak will become famous soon enough
another vote for JILL here
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #14
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
All these votes for Jill - and none for Doug?
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #15
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
What does "powerful people in search" mean?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #16
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Good question, Marcia. Some votes have gone to where there is no power at all, but they may just be sarcasm. I assume that "powerful people in search" means people who have the power to affect the search results, and the most powerful of them are inside Google at the moment. The only power on the outside is the power to affect a few serps to some degree or other, or to be heard by the powerful people, but that's miniscule power by comparison.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #17
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Quote:
Basically I think there really aren't "powerful people in search" just influential people capable of affecting results indirectly or by that of public opinion. Search is really just all algorithms and math anyway based on a goal for relevany and of course controlled by geeky people behind a computer tweaking things and making sure nothing blows up with SEO's right behind playing detective to figure out what they are doing.

If I had to say anyone though, my vote would be Barry Diller for sheer balls and captial to buy Ask recently, and second Danny for being most vocal and honest of the list.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #18
TallTroll
Tooth-grindingly stupid

TallTroll will become famous soon enoughTallTroll will become famous soon enough
Couple more write-ins

Paul Gardi (Teoma)
Hector Molina-Garcia (Stanford)
TallTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #19
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
You have some standing in that regard Marcia.... especially as the den mother of this crew!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #20
webpundit

webpundit is on a distinguished road
I vote for "We, the people" as the most powerful people in search. At least that's what the SEs will have us believe.
webpundit is offline   Reply With Quote