Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005   #1
dgrumbli

dgrumbli will become famous soon enoughdgrumbli will become famous soon enough
Poor results from Content match

In the last 3 months about 20 pct of my impressions were with content match but less than 1 pct of my clicks came from the content match and none of my conversions came from content match.

Is this normal or do I need to do something to improve results for content matching or should I just turn off content matching? I've had similar results on Adwords. Is conversion tracking the same on Content matching as it is on Search.
dgrumbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #2
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Google and Yahoo are a world apart

We have had horrible results using Yahoo/overture's content match.
Tons of fraud, and a lot of completely unqualified traffic over a years worth of testing.

Googles adwords' content partners are not necessarily an all star cast of websites, however there is one HUGE difference between how Google and Yahoo handle their content partners and advertisers.

With Google you can exclude any domain name, or sub-domain name you wish from running your ad! With proper web reporting over time you can identify and remove virtually all underperforming content partners. Even better with Google you can even target specific content partners.

With Yahoo they tell you to stick it in your ear and take the poor traffic with the bad. No ability to exclude fraudulent sites and a lengthy 4 week to eternity process to "investigate" obvious click fraud.

My conclusion is to drop Yahoo's content match until they offer the ability to exclude domains and opt to use Googles content partners instead.

Regards,

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #3
dgrumbli

dgrumbli will become famous soon enoughdgrumbli will become famous soon enough
Discovery,
Thank you for your input. Its good to know it isn't just me.

I have actually had simmilar results with Yahoo and Google. Very low conversion for the number of clicks. I will try improving my targeting on Google as you suggested.

Thanks again,
Dgrumbli
dgrumbli is offline   Reply With Quote