Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005   #1
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Google Testing 3 Ads Above Search Results?

https://adwords.google.com/select/faq/start.html

Quote:
# How do I show my ads above the search results?

The highest ranking AdWords ads appear in the top two positions.

Looks like G are testing clickthrough rates and revenue for 1 vs 2 vs 3 ads above search results. Seeing this across many competitive KWs that I monitor.
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #2
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
I'm seeing exactly the same thing Shor - in categories outside your example. Maybe moving closer to the competition - ninemsn (3) - but not as many as Yahoo! (4)
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #3
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
Maybe AWR can clarify what determines the appearance of a 3rd top ad slot.

It might be a combination of factors such as:
Number of searches
Number of competitors
Pricing
CTRs
etc.
Old 08-16-2005   #4
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin
Maybe AWR can clarify what determines the appearance of a 3rd top ad slot.

It might be a combination of factors such as:
Number of searches
Number of competitors
Pricing
CTRs
etc.
Our account rep was rather vague and reticient on this (as he didn't have a solid brief on the issue) but he did say that 3 ads appear only when the 3rd ad reaches a certain threshold of CTR comparable to the no.1 ranked keyword. He said CTR but he may have meant quality score as that would be a more useful ranking criteria ? He also confirmed that G were currently targeting high volume queries (loans/auto/jobs/dating etc).
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #5
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Quote:
He also confirmed that G were currently targeting high volume queries (loans/auto/jobs/dating etc).
Well I have reason to believe its extending a bit farther than that. Noticed it tonight on a phrase (book title) I was checking for a client "play piano in a flash". Its a rather low traffic phrase in none of the high traffic industries mentioned, and its a book written exclusively by the client only in its first printing. I would consider it a pretty much non-competitive phrase with only a few affiliates offering it. I guess for this phrase it may be more along "he did say that 3 ads appear only when the 3rd ad reaches a certain threshold of CTR comparable to the no.1 ranked keyword".
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #6
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
So in effect the top organic results just got handed decreased CTR.

I wonder how long before Google goes completely PPC!!! <---- joking!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #7
sunnymonkey
http://www.free-junk.com

sunnymonkey is on a distinguished road
I have found quite a few other interface changes in the google searhc results over the last few weeks.

Mods, am I ok to post links on these forums to a site that has some screen shots and info? Dont want to break any rules..

Dave
sunnymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #8
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Put them up and I will have a look at them and edit if need be.
Old 08-17-2005   #9
sunnymonkey
http://www.free-junk.com

sunnymonkey is on a distinguished road
Interface News One

Interface news Two

Interface news Three

Interface news Four
sunnymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #10
AussieWebmaster

The second link calls the sponsored listings AdSense - not correct they are the AdWords PPC ads.

This is obviously from the UK... a similiar search here gets not ads whatsoever for bacs system.