Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2005   #1
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Is Yahoo cloaking Yahoo?

Take a look at this cache:

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?ei...icp=1&.intl=us

What is the relationship between the site above, JustBlogMe.com and Blo.gs - they seem it all be part of some kind of interlinking,redirecting scam project. I haven't spend much time on it yet, but I just wanted to throw it out to all of you. It just dosn't look "clean"

blo.gs say on the website that it has been purchased by Yahoo. maddhattentertainment.com on the other side dosn't say anything about Yahoo (and it does look abit on the "adult" side ...). But if you go to for example: maddhattentertainment.com/jbm/index.pl/schiavo-garden-blog-blog.html (found in the Yahoo index) you are redirected to justblogme.com - allthought the title in Yahoo says blo.gs

I could off course be wrong and there could be a perfectly legitomate reason for what I see. I doubt it though.

Is this a similar case to what we've seen before at Google - that the people internally at the engines do not follow their own guidelines when publishing content-. In fact, at Google it appeared that they have a build in cloaking system in their publishing backends (allthough, they claimed it was just for the site search - did anyone believe that??? )

Most of you know that I don't really care much if you "spam" the engines (by their own definitions) but I honestly find it extremely childish if the engines on one hand tells us not to do this or that and then chose to do exactly the same when they have to publish something.

Yahoo, Google and MSN - a question to you: Do you really want these kind of cases to keep getting in the press? I promise you they will unless you either drop those stupid guidelines or make sure your own people operates within them. Maybe you need to hire some more internal SEOs that can teach your own people about the guidelines you publish LOL
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #2
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Yahoo, Google and MSN - a question to you: Do you really want these kind of cases to keep getting in the press? I promise you they will unless you either drop those stupid guidelines or make sure your own people operates within them. Maybe you need to hire some more internal SEOs that can teach your own people about the guidelines you publish LOL
Or learn how to use the nocache or no archive meta tags

come on how much are you paying your web crew yahoo?

Yahoo next time please give me a call and consult with me before your next cloak, I'll be glad to make it completely undetectable. lol
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Mikkel, I only looked at this quickly, but I don't see any relationship here. It looks like that site may be cloaking the blo.gs home page. Bad on Yahoo not to catch that, if so -- but not bad like "how could you publish that" because I don't see that they did.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #4
summerherekids

summerherekids is on a distinguished road
if this really turns out to be spam, i say we boycott Yahoo!

and i will absolutely report this to google.

maybe we can get yahoo removed from googles index.
summerherekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #5
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Don't hold your breath

First of all "spam" is a matter of judgement and it's one that is not applied equally to all. Yahoo will not be excluded by Google, just as Micorsoft and other major content providers won't. We had that discussion here a few times before. Actually, when Google was found cloaking itself it banned itself. Pretty funny.

But trust me, users in general don't care about this geek stuff. You won't get many to even consider a Yahoo boycut.

My only point is just that is amazing how little many of the people INSIDE the engines that are responsible for publishing content knows about their own webmaster guidelines and it makes it very dificult for the rest of us to even consider taking those guidelines serious when they prove again and again that they don't really care - or, are able to live up to it even within their own crew.
Old 07-21-2005   #6
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Hi Mikkel
We will look into it and make sure the issue is resolved to abide by our content guidelines.
Thanks, Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #7
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Quote:
We will look into it and make sure the issue is resolved to abide by our content guidelines.
Good, lets just hope you won't get banned before it's fixed
Old 07-21-2005   #8
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
ok - I can't resist saying that Yahoo use white on white text.
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #9
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

It's not invisible - only if you don't have a screen reader
Old 07-21-2005   #10
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Mikkel, I'm still not seeing the dots connect. You're pointing at a cached copy of :

http://www.maddhattentertainment.com...blog-blog.html

That domain doesn't appear to be owned, operated or connected with Yahoo. The whois info certainly doesn't suggest it.

That page, in the cache, does show what seems to be the contents of the Yahoo-owned Blo.gs home page, though the URLs appear to be rewritten. My impression is that someone grabbed/scraped that page without permission and fed it to the Yahoo spider. If so, that's not Yahoo cloaking. That's someone cloaking against Yahoo.

When you click on the page, it does a 302 redirect to JustBlogMe.com. That domain doesn't appear to be owned or related to Yahoo.

Nothing I see says there's anything that Yahoo is to blame here, other than probably having someone infringe their copyright on Blo.gs. Is there something else you've spotted that I'm not seeing?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #11
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

As you see from my initial post, Danny, I was only throwing out the question. What exactly is this? The rest of this thread seems more focused on the general issue of engines spamming themself. Personally I don't think I came to any difinate conclusions on this in my posts. Sory if it read that way

However, the general issue of engines spamming themself is still a very enternaining one, and there is every reason to bring it up whenever there is a question of weather it happens or not. And it does happen. That is a fact that I believe you also agrees to Danny. It may not be in this case but that dosn't decrease the enternaining value on the other cases that turned out to be right.

Engines spamming engines is not about a big vandetta to me - it's just a very enternaining sideeffect of being a search geek