Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2005   #1
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
July 2005 Yahoo Update & Algo Change

Looks like some big changes out there, and I almost hate to say this, but the balance seems to be shifting with on-page scoring and the value of inbound links.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #2
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
funny that Tim didn't post a weather report on the Yahoo Blog.. maybe they are trying to sneak this in the backdoor :0

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Looks like there are changes to me as well.

Nice find Marcia!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #4
Ben Anderson

Ben Anderson is on a distinguished road
Yes, indeed, Marcia - I have also seen these changes. But, what exactly did you mean - does Yahoo count more on the content or on the quantity and quality of inbound links?
Ben Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #5
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
big changes here too...some for the better, and some for the not-so-better
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #6
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
Yahoo! search not working

All Im getting is an error message for searches:

Quote:
Oops!
We ran into a temporary problem while performing your search. Please try your search again.
Old 07-20-2005   #7
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Now that the storm hit, the weather report has arrived!
http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000158.html
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
The update notes many more changes in the upcoming days/weeks.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #9
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
What a relief!

Checked my KW positions today on Yahoo!, and saw some major fluctuations. Now it all makes sense....Thanks for the weather update
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #10
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
According to what Gary Price quoted in the SEW blog, Tim is saying that the changes will still be rolling out for a bit, and that the changes are more intense this time around than last.

I'm reading that to mean that it's a bigger algo change than what we saw last time, and though I have a suspicion or two it's probably best to wait until it rolls out further before jumping to conclusions. The word "intense" does get me a little nervous though.

Though it's obviously more than just one thing, based on purely a narrow, limited quick observation, I've got a suspicion that the value of inbound links may carry a bit more weight relative to on-page factors than what it's been in the past.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-20-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2005   #11
unreviewed

unreviewed has disabled reputation
The biggest change I see is regional results. I’m seeing a huge difference between results searching with a Canadian IP, and then switching to a US based IP. I understand this is common, but I think they have really ramped up that “feature”.
unreviewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #12
Marcia

I've been seeing substantial differences with Canadian results for quite a while. unreviewed, are you currently seeing an algo change and new results at Y! Canada?

Added: A site that's #33 is #2 at Yahoo Canada, right about where it's been for a while. Different algo, imho.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-20-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2005   #13
unreviewed

unreviewed has disabled reputation
Marcia, no I’m not searching Yahoo Canada, http://ca.yahoo.com/ that always had the differences. However I use to see the same results at yahoo.com regardless of Canadian or US IP. For example my “hardest” keyword was at a rock solid 11 for the last few months no matter which IP used. Now it is position 8 when searched from Canada, and position 20 when searched from the US IP. I’m seeing this on all keywords, My next toughest word is now at position 3 on a Canadian IP and position 6 with US IP.

This could just be the result of different data centers and may change over the next few days, but has remained the same since yesterday afternoon. The site is hosted in the US, the Canadian shipping address is only on one page, and the majority of backlinks are from US web sites.

It's too early yet, just somthing I'm watching.
unreviewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #14
Marcia

Ah, ok. So then it's looking like a geo-targeting difference at main Yahoo Search depending on the physical IP location of the searcher, not the site's hosting or country-specific Yahoo?

Keep us posted, this is very interesting.
Old 07-20-2005   #15
smindsrt
Site-Sift Web Directory

smindsrt is on a distinguished road
This update is much better than the last one. I see decent results and a few spammy sites dropped.
smindsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #16
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Weather report from Australia:

Early grey skies clearing up for a sunny afternoon.

That is, Y! has 'cleared up' the SERPs for both AU-only and Australian Yahoo main search. There are now very few US results in AU-only - nowhere near as many as previously (top 20 results for uber-competitive KWs would have 5+ from USA).

So it looks like whining eventually works - we provided evidence of many poor local SERP results 2 or 3 times at the request of Y! ANZ Search Engineers who passed it along to their Stateside counterparts.
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #17
agreen1125
Tell me the color of money and I tell you my last name..

agreen1125 is on a distinguished road
Yup yup...indeed the storm hits already...and I love showering in the rain! First time in months that I saw my site land on the first page. *w000000t*
agreen1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #18
GBR&D
Frustrum

GBR&D is on a distinguished road
Less Spam

I am noticing a lot less spam for a variety of high and low traffic volume queries.
GBR&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #19
flam

flam is on a distinguished road
I have to say that this time it looks more like a real "modern" search engine result, hopefully they won't do the same BS as as the 2 latest updates: one week after they roll back something and scrappers/spammers are back on track.

Just one thing that I understand but often regret is that some websites in their directory are given so much importance on a few specific search results that they should open it up to others....just look at Google and MSN's results, particularly thinking about some college related searches.
flam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #20
Marcia

Quote:
Just one thing that I understand but often regret is that some websites in their directory are given so much importance on a few specific search results that they should open it up to others
flam, I noticed it even more so this time around for some commercial, product-type searches.

The thing is, is it specifically the Yahoo Directory listing doing it, or is there a trust factor being factored into the algo, among other possible elements?

There are other factors that can be indicators of quality or "trustworthiness," but having been reviewed by a human editor to be accepted into a respected directory with a reliably high "hub" status, a site can pretty well be relied on to have met certain minimum quality standards and be on topic for the search.