Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004   #1
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
Yahoo 301 Redirect indexing problem

Hi

I remember reading in another forum that Yahoo was working on the 301 redirect problem, yet many of my sites using this are still not getting indexed, yet they were before this was an issue.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the status of this problem? Is it something that Yahoo is working on and if so, when will it be fixed?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #2
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
they are still working on the 301 problem(s) no time scale as yet.
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #3
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Dave, if they are working on the problem (which would be a good thing since they are advising people to use them), why would their Sitematch representitives be advocating against them?
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard
Dave, if they are working on the problem (which would be a good thing since they are advising people to use them), why would their Sitematch representitives be advocating against them?
something really smells fishy there...
Old 06-10-2004   #5
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
Yahoo! Does not seem to be indexing the page that is redirected to. It does not, however, seem to be "booting" the page that is redirected. {I know i did not word that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean :confused: }
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #6
Rob
Canuck SEM

That is what I'm noticing too - sites that had hundreds or thousands of pages a few months ago, when Yahoo launched the new search, now have 1 - the 301 redirect page.

It doesn't make sense to me that it was working and now it's not? It's like the fixed it and broke it more (kinda like the way I do plumbing )
Old 06-10-2004   #7
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
I 301 redirected a site several months ago. Google immediatly threw out the old site and after several long months began indexing the new. Yahoo still indexes both the old and new... and wouldn't you know it, rankings on the old still improve.

How is that even possible when there are no pages on the old server anymore to even view, just the 301 in place?
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #8
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
Same data here. We reorganized some sites a while back, changing some URLs in the process. We've been 301 redirecting to the new URLs for months, removing a few each week, while we waited for Inktomi/Slurp to stop requesting the "old" URLs. Every other search spider picked up the new URLs, but not Yahoo. Considering the issues that Yahoo is having with 301 redirects, I finally just yanked them.

Of course, I have some pretty dandy 404 pages in place (ones that actually return a server 404, not just a 404 redirect to say, the site's site map).

Considering that it would be entirely do-able for Yahoo to detect 301s and drop old URLs in favor of new ones, I have to suspect they're doing this for a reason. I leave it to anyone's imagination.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #9
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
it's not that Yahoo can't detect the 301, But how the 301 can be abused thats their real problem until they fix that then the 301 should stay "broken"

DaveN
Old 06-15-2004   #10
DianeV

Yes, that's precisely what I was hinting at. As inconvenient as it may be for webmasters wanting to redirect to the occasional moved page, I can see the point behind what appears to be Yahoo's logic.

Besides, Inktomi has behaved like this for ages.
Old 06-15-2004   #11
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
Server redirects

Has anyone tried to sniff out the user agent (or use IP) for Y!s Slurp and push the spider to the new site? In ASP we use a response.redirect, I have no idea what your PHP people use. Until Y! decides to properly follow and conform to 301 redirects, perhaps this is a viable solution in the mean time?
Old 06-15-2004   #12
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
As I understand Yahoo is aware of the situaration and I am pretty sure they are working hard to implement a solution.

However, there may very well be complexity levels to the case that we do not know about because we do not know exactly how Yahoo!Search function in detail. The best we can do is guess. And my guess is that Yahoo will soon have this problem fixed. Much sooner than we will be able to find valid "hacks"
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004   #13
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Inktomi, Slurp and Directory

I don't know if this is the right forum or not...

Before Yahoo launched Slurp, I counted on Inktomi and
their Directory to keep my site in Yahoo results.

After they launched Slurp, it picked up one of my
redirected urls off a link from another site and then
indexed the entire redirected site's content and urls.

Now all of my results in Yahoo are from their Slurp -
except the results are for my secondary url - not
my primary one.

To complicate matters further - sites are now linking
to the redirected url - causing duplicate sets of results
to be picked up and propogated to other engines.

Any suggestions as to how I get the correct url indexed in
Yahoo's search results?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #14
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old one but has anyone seen the problems fixed yet?
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #15
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
No, I have not seen any improvements. Yahoo! said they would have the problem fixed within weeks of the SES San Jose conference...still nothing.
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #16
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
So other people are having the same type of problem?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #17
Rob
Canuck SEM

I think it's fixed

Hi

I checked and the few sites that I knew of that were having this problem have been indexed in the past few weeks.

I don't know if that means the problem is solved, but I do know that my sites are back in.
Old 09-20-2004   #18
Adam C
Courses for horses

Adam C will become famous soon enough
That's good news Rob.

A client has just asked me about this.

Has anyone else seen anything that suggests its fixed?

(Want to get an idea of how widespread this is before I make a recommendation)
Adam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #19
DianeV

I'm still seeing it in Yahoo in cases where the "secondary" domain name used to be the main one.
Old 09-23-2004   #20
DaveN

it's still looks like it's broken from the test i ran two weeks ago