Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
PageRank Update Underway: Update Danny

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050714-203723

PageRank Update is underway. Good luck all.

Why not name it Update Danny.

Danny did get Google Sitemaps going.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #2
Mac
Amature Optimizer

Mac is on a distinguished road
From Creation to PR Update Time Frames

Of interest related to those who monitor time frames:

I have a site I uploaded just shy of four weeks ago, and it got a PR of 3 in this recent update. Moreover, I have two other sites that I uploaded 3 weeks ago, and they got a PR of 2 in the same update; and I uploaded 2 other sites 2 weeks ago and no PR was reported.

And, "yes," I had links pointing to these sites from the get go.

With Metta
-Mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #3
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
By way of contrast new pages that were 301'd from existing pages and were indexed two weeks ago have not received any PR in this update.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #4
Mac
Amature Optimizer

Backlink Update Underway too

I'm now seeing backlink updates on most (but not all) of my websites.

-Mac
With Metta
Old 07-14-2005   #5
Mac
Amature Optimizer

Spoke to fast...

Wait, spoke to fast, the backlink update I was speaking of are only related to my brand new sites. Momentary lapse of evaluation there...

-Mac
With Metta
Old 07-14-2005   #6
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Time frames...

Based on top of my head recollections, I think I probably observed the ranking effects of these changes about four weeks ago ago.

With regard to PR showing for newer pages, I have file dates to refer to, and "new" internal pages which have been showing a white toolbar for just about 3 months to the day have just jumped up to a PR5. They've been ranking since they were indexed, though, back in mid-April.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Domains that were first registered on the 4th of June are showing PR, including internal pages that went up on the 15th & 16th. Those uploaded after aren't, so I assume that was close to some kind of cut-off point.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #8
martinibuster

martinibuster has a spectacular aura aboutmartinibuster has a spectacular aura about
Why not name it?

Quote:
Why not name it
Because it's not really an update... It's just a toolbar change.

This PR is a snapshot that I believe may have been taken between July 7th to yesterday. I'm pretty sure of that. I have a site that was linked to on July 7th, and it is showing PR. If the snapshot was taken prior to July 7th, then that site wouldn't be showing PR (unless I have the linkage date wrong, but I'm pretty sure of it).

Last edited by martinibuster : 07-15-2005 at 03:31 AM.
martinibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #9
smindsrt
Site-Sift Web Directory

smindsrt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinibuster
Because it's not really an update... It's just a toolbar change.

This PR is a snapshot that I believe may have been taken between July 7th to yesterday. I'm pretty sure of that. I have a site that was linked to on July 7th, and it is showing PR. If the snapshot was taken prior to July 7th, then that site wouldn't be showing PR (unless I have the linkage date wrong, but I'm pretty sure of it).

More like the middle of June or so.
smindsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #10
NTR
Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson - Search Engine Stalker

NTR is on a distinguished road
A Little Friday Page Rank Fun:

Since I hoped Danny's article would quell a little of this page rank lunacy (which it obviously hasn't) and this thread started out a little "Tongue in Cheek" I though I'd continue with my own cheekiness (sp?)

Please fill in with your own phrase:
"If I read another post about Page Rank I'm gonna _______"
Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson

Last edited by NTR : 07-15-2005 at 05:34 PM.
NTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #11
acca

acca is on a distinguished road
I must prais myself a little, I just got my first PR4 , and directly from PR0 . Tomorow will be a month since site is on net. And to say thank you all, 'cause I've learn a lot from you here, and from this site. I ofcourse, I am still learnin.
So far, nither one of my sites haven't got greater than PR3. Thenks again.
acca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #12
ephricon
<!-- Insert Clever Tagline Here --!>

ephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by acca
I must prais myself a little, I just got my first PR4 , and directly from PR0 . Tomorow will be a month since site is on net. And to say thank you all, 'cause I've learn a lot from you here, and from this site. I ofcourse, I am still learnin.
So far, nither one of my sites haven't got greater than PR3. Thenks again.
See this is why the post above yours says:

"If I read another post about Page Rank I'm gonna _______"

You are thanking people as if you've accomplished something. PR is no accomplishment. Its a little bar in the browser that has hardly any tie any more directly to rankings, traffic, etc. That said, its not even a current meaningless ("for entertainment purposes only") green bar, its an out-of-date one. Measure your success with traffic and sales. When those go up, brag away!!!
ephricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #13
acca

Quote:
Originally Posted by acca
I am still learnin.
I didn't say I know everything. And don't say PR is just for entertainment, 'couse it's not everything, but is't nothing aither. Now, I know a littlebit more then few months ago. That's for shore.
Old 07-15-2005   #14
ephricon
<!-- Insert Clever Tagline Here --!>

ephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura about
Oh please don't misunderstand me - I wasn't trying to criticize your knowledge level at all. My apologies for any misunderstanding there.

I was, however, criticizing the notion that PR should be seen as a goal or accomplishment. Why do we do SEO? What do you really want?

Rankings?
Traffic?
Sales/Leads/Conversions?

The first two are meaningless without the third. Rankings only matter b/c they can help you get traffic, and traffic only matters b/c it can help you accomplish some goal. Whether that is sales, leads, loyal readers or whatever may vary. But the point is the end result is the best measurement, not the means for getting that. PR at best used to be a contributor towards the end result, but now I think most on this forum will agree has very little direct correlation to help rankings. Its not completely worthless - indeed its not - but I would be cautious of using that as your measuring stick b/c its quite possible to get a nice PR 7+ site that is worthless, and have a PR 0 or 2 site that helps contribute greatly to your goals.
ephricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #15
acca

Well, then it was misunderstanding . I agree about PR , but it is for shore one of a signs. There are lots of signs, and lots of other things I'm awere of that.
Old 07-15-2005   #16
SebastianX

SebastianX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR
Please fill in with your own phrase:
"If I read another post about Page Rank I'm gonna despair"
Couldn't resist.
SebastianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #17
smindsrt
Site-Sift Web Directory

smindsrt is on a distinguished road
My daughter has a little saying she learned from school that applies to pagerank.

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Lexy

Sometimes we just need to apply a little kindergarten advice to things. lol
smindsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #18
esoos
extraordinaire

esoos is on a distinguished road
Got bumped up to a PR7.

...and yet I'm still outranked by a 5 and a 6 for my favorite keyword.
esoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #19
scangilli

scangilli is on a distinguished road
During this last PR update, I went from a PR 0 to a PR 4 on my blog....not bad at all
scangilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #20
sootledir
directory.sootle.com

sootledir has a spectacular aura aboutsootledir has a spectacular aura about
These updates get less exciting each time, especially since TBPR seems so unrelated to rankings.
sootledir is offline   Reply With Quote