Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005   #1
mrwywy

mrwywy is on a distinguished road
Duplicate content.

Any suggestions on additional solutions?

I have friend that owns two domains the diff is one has a hyphen in it the other does not. He has the two domains pointing to the same files on the same server.
I told him that is a big no-no and suggested a permanent 302 redirect from one to the other, or two separate copies of the files and one of them with the metatag No index that way avoiding the duplicate content issue.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Wyatt
mrwywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #2
Wail
Another member

Wail will become famous soon enoughWail will become famous soon enough
I'm sure you meant this, but you want a 301 redirect and not a 301.

That's much better than using meta tags to isolate one copy - because people could still link to the one you're taking out of search engines and that'll stop the one you want to do well in search engines getting the links.

As an alternative to the meta tags you could use a robots.txt to isolate one.

The 301 redirect is the best way forward.
Wail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #3
Katsu

Katsu is on a distinguished road
related question...

Hello,

I just read this and may have a related issue.

I have a website at www.my-site.com

I also have registered www.mysite.net and www.mysite.org and have those two URLS pointing to my website. In the past my site was listed always in the top 4 on google for certain keywords, but now since the algorithm has changed, it is completely gone.

Could this be the reason?

If so, then what would be the solution?

If not, then I guess I have some more figuring out to do....

Katsu
Katsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The 301 redirect is an accepted way of doing this so it could not be the cause of your problems.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #5
Katsu

Katsu is on a distinguished road
Well I guess that is good.

But now I have to sit down and figure out what is going on.

It is hard to believe. Google lists all these other websites that link to mine, but my website doesnt show up in the index...
Katsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #6
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
The 301 redirect is an accepted way of doing this so it could not be the cause of your problems.
True, but if you have already been penalized for multiple domains DNS'ed to the same content the 301 is NOT allways going to help you. I have first hand seen this several times.

If you are hit with this sort of dupe penalty I have only found one way to get out of it - and it can take up to a year: You need to DNS you primary domain to the webserver with your real content and all other domains to seperate webservers with one page saying something like: "We no longer use this domain please to to [primary-domain]" with a link to the real website. No redirects, no META-refresh - just a plain HTML page with a single passive link.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
True, but if you have already been penalized for multiple domains DNS'ed to the same content the 301 is NOT allways going to help you. I have first hand seen this several times.

If you are hit with this sort of dupe penalty I have only found one way to get out of it - and it can take up to a year: You need to DNS you primary domain to the webserver with your real content and all other domains to seperate webservers with one page saying something like: "We no longer use this domain please to to [primary-domain]" with a link to the real website. No redirects, no META-refresh - just a plain HTML page with a single passive link.
That one seems a little extreme. Why not at least add some nonduplicate content on each page and hope they get some SERP.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #8
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
That one seems a little extreme. Why not at least add some nonduplicate content on each page and hope they get some SERP.
You can't do that. If two or more domains are DNS'ed to the same server then only one pysical set of files actually exsist. If you change one you change all.

So, in order to do what you suggest you need seperate webserver and set of files for each domainand that is a lot more complex - not the least to maintain, than my suggestion.

Once you have tried to get all your most (or your clients) wiped out from multiple domain DNS you KNOW how serious it is. But then again, it all depends on what kind of risk factor you can live with - I just think that it would be stupid to chose a solution that takes more resouces and gives a higher risk with no real chance getting improved results from it
Old 07-22-2005   #9
Pannu
Visitor Conversion - Everybody Wins

Pannu is on a distinguished road
Post Google Confusing Duplicate Content Sites

This Google algo tweak has primarily had an issue with duplicate
content websites. Google is mixing up domain suffixes like .com and
.net. We are facing at least one issue where our client's main site
(.com) has been confused with .net because they had been sharing the
same files.

This never was the issue before, and .com was always enjoying good
indexing and ranks on thousands of keyphrases until 15th July, when
.com ( the performing website) got dropped for .net. Suddenly Google
started to give all backlink credit for .com to .net (we checked the
links for .net, and there was utter confusion, with all reported
linkbacks showing links to .com ) and .net showing a pr of 5 (was not
even 1 before).

When we checked the cached snapshot of page, that too was confusing
.com with .net; we checked for .net, and the snapshot from the Google
cache reported for .com.

The worst impact being that the sites in question (esp the main performing site) lost all organic rankings and PageRank on Google.
Pannu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #10
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Look at my first reply above - you need to do that, Pannu to get back on track. You need 100% seperation and no redirects! ... and a lot of patience, unfortunately

Also, this is not a new thing with Google. They've been removing multiple domains DNS'ed to the same content for years - they just don't get around to them all all the time (as it is with most such filtering). In every single case I have seen Google (automatically, most likely) picked the one domain we did NOT want them to pick. Thats why you should never leave such decissions to the engines - provide a clear and solid path to where you want them to go.
Old 08-09-2005   #11
Pannu
Visitor Conversion - Everybody Wins

Pannu is on a distinguished road
Apologies for the late response; I got oh so caught up....

Mikkel, you say:

Quote:
Also, this is not a new thing with Google. They've been removing multiple domains DNS'ed to the same content for years - they just don't get around to them all all the time (as it is with most such filtering)
Beats me really; Googlebot is visiting the site everyday; the cache is and was getting updated regularly. I have never seen anything like this before.

Consider the fact that I have been following another situation closely with similar confusion; both the sites DNS'd to the same content, but both showing PR and only one getting indexed. The difference that matters in this case is that the indexed site shows rankings in SERPs.

And what about redirects? When 301s are the accepted norm at Google, (and I have seen these work all the time without any hitch) what makes you think that these are not the best way to go about it? We have always been fixing 301s in all kinds of situations without any problems with Google; from non-www domains to the www ones; from other domain suffixes to the main one; from similar named domains to the main one etc. Never seen any penalties for 301s. Of course, where 302s come in, its a whole different story.
Pannu is offline   Reply With Quote