Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2005   #1
johnnyblade

johnnyblade is on a distinguished road
Google questions-help

I submitted my site to google about 3 days ago. Yesterday I looked up my site and was pretty surprised to see my site on their search already. The thing I'm wondering is that my site is listed under my name when you search it, but when I look up the keyword in my title tag my site does not come up. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

My site is at:

http://www.johnnybladeproductions.com

johnnyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #2
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
the 302 to

http://johnnybladeproductions.home.att.net/

will not help

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
If you are going to redirect make it a 301....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #4
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Relevancy is on a distinguished road
Your site is too new. You only have your home page index and that is not indexed correctly as well.

You have to wait about 6-8 months to go through what we call Google's Aging Delay. This is a phase that Google puts new sites through. They monitor your development before they fully index or give rankings possibilities too. This prevents link spamming sites to be created.

While you wait add new content on a regular basis and build relevant links to your site on a gradual basis. Make sure you content is always unique.

You just have to wait it out for Google.
Relevancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #5
johnnyblade

re:

I know my site redirects but I submitted the at&t address to google. What is 301 & 302?

(You only have your home page index and that is not indexed correctly as well.)

why is it not indexed correctly? What can I do ?

thanks
Old 07-11-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Your site is too new. You only have your home page index and that is not indexed correctly as well.
No, that isn't right. Dave is 100% correct and so is AussieWebmaster. Having a 302 is a problem and that is what needs to be taken care of first thing. Anything else is superfluous until that's dealt with.

302 is temporary redirect - those are not good for search engines. I assume you've got it "pointed" by the registrar and that's how they do it,with a 302.

301 is permanent redirect. To do that you have to put the domain on hosting and redirect to your ISP site.

Added:

Hey Johnny, that is one beautiful site you have there! There is a lot of potential for that, IMHO you should start out right and promote it right. Moving it later isn't a good idea, things get messed up.

Wonderfully done - go spend under $5 a month for regular hosting and put more content on the site, put some more "meat on the bones". It's worth it and the site deserves it.

Either that, or just use the ISP site. But even when you put more content up if you want directory listings (like ODP - who require good content) they will only list the *final* url of the site so you might as well decide which to stay with.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-11-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
No, that isn't right. Dave is 100% correct. Having a 302 is a problem and that is what needs to be taken care of first thing. Anything else is superfluous until that's dealt with.

302 is temporary redirect - those are not good for search engines. I assume you've got it "pointed" by the registrar and that's how they do it,with a 302.

301 is permanent redirect. To do that you have to put the domain on hosting and redirect to your ISP site.

Added:

Hey Johnny, that is one beautiful site you have there! There is a lot of potential for that, IMHO you should start out right and promote it right. Moving it later isn't a good idea, things get messed up.

Wonderfully done - go spend under $5 a month for regular hosting. It's worth it and the site deserves it.
Marcia you are so good... I had not thought it could have been from the domain holder....
Old 07-11-2005   #8
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>had not thought it could have been from the domain holder....

When I first started out I was working with crafters - cottage industry, mostly on a very limited budget, so I've seen a lot of it. At least this is on an ISP so there are no banners, which is plus in case hosting isn't an option at this time.

I believe there is a "masking" option but don't know a whole lot about how it's done. I do know that the safe thing is to have ONE url for ONE site. Even with a 301, interior pages will still show the other URL.

Again, decide which way to go. Hosting is under $5 and IMHO the site is nice enough to warrant it, if it's possible.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-11-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2005   #9
johnnyblade

Question redirecting

Thanks to everyone for all the input. It seems to me that 301 & 302 do the same thing. How do i host my site so it does not redirect at all. Won't hosting do it?
Old 07-11-2005   #10
Marcia

Nope, 301 and 302 may seem to do the same thing in that the surfer ends up in the same place. But they return a different server header code - which is the Apache server's way of telling user agents - browsers or crawlers, that a page has been moved.

301 is permanent, it means that the page will stay at the new location it's redirected to for good. 302 is only temporary, supposed to be only for a while until the page is back where it's redirected from. And the engines read that number as a sort of "instruction" about the site or page, and handle them completely differently, which is what we're concerned with here.

With regular hosting the pages are on the web host's computer and the domain name is routed to your "space" on that computer, which becomes the address of your site.
Old 07-11-2005   #11
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Relevancy is on a distinguished road
302 are seen as a temporary redirct and can be seen as a possible doorway page. A 301 is seen as a permenant url change.

marcia - you posted right before me about the 302. I know that is causing the incorrect indexing, but the site is too new to aquire any rankings as well.
Relevancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #12
johnnyblade

redirecting

I'm wodering...can I ask the registrar thats redirecting it to use a 301???

thnks
Old 07-11-2005   #13
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevancy
marcia - you posted right before me about the 302. I know that is causing the incorrect indexing, but the site is too new to aquire any rankings as well.
I think we also need to emphasize the inbound links as a factor of ranking, rather than ONLY citing its 'newness' factor - especially in a competitive industry such as that one.

Johnny, I'm not exactly sure which keyword(s) you're hoping to come up for, but all of these phrases have some stiff competition:
"jobs in film"
"film TV jobs"
"film production jobs"
"tv production jobs"

tens of thousands to millions of results.

Definitely move it to its own hosted space.

I think Marcia's absolutely correct in saying that you have potential there to build something and get links to it, and the resulting traffic, but you can't expect it to happen overnite.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #14
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
Relevancy..

302 are seen as a temporary redirects and can be seen as a possible doorway
page. A 301 is seen as a permenant url change.

NOPE. That's not true..

a 302 is Found .. lol which usually confuses people, it's more commonly perceived as a Temporary Redirect (which is actually 307 hehehe), because the requested resource (url) resides temporarily under a different URI

a 301 Moved Permanently : The requested URI or resource has been assigned a new permanent URI

ok so why use a 301 and not a 302 ??

well a long long time ago in a distance Valley a young search engineer decides that the Google surfers would be better off seeing www.johnnybladeproductions.com rather than seeing johnnybladeproductions.home.att.net/ and for a long time everyone was happy.. the webmaster was happy because Google showed his www. and not the free host ..

then people realised that pointing a domain with a 302 would replace other peoples url... and the whole 302 hijack problems started..

DaveN

Last edited by DaveN : 07-12-2005 at 11:28 AM.
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #15
johnnyblade

re:

I just spoke to the url fowarding host and they said it was a 301. Should I believe them? I'm in the process of getting hosted right now.

Thanks

jb
Old 07-13-2005   #16
AussieWebmaster

Find new hosting. Hopefully you att allows you to have a htaccess page so you could write your won 301 from there to the new site.
Old 07-23-2005   #17
johnnyblade

More Questions

Ok, Got my site hosted with a new company. My site has already been listed with some major search engines. Now that I have a new domain should I take down my AT&T site? Will the search engines crawl the new site or should I resubmit it to the search engines?

Thanks,

JB
Old 07-23-2005   #18
AussieWebmaster

If you have the old domain pointed to the new domain the PR etc. should pass to it.
You could do a 301 redirect from the old server of you wanted but simply pushing the domain to new site should be sufficient.
Old 07-23-2005   #19
johnnyblade

301 etc.

can you be more specific for a newbie????
Old 07-23-2005   #20
Marcia

Johnny, you can't have the content up at two sites at the same time. If you have .htaccess you can use a server side redirect (301) to the new location - that you have to ask the tech support at your ISP.

If not, take down the pages at the old site right away and just put up a page with a link to the new site. If it's brand new, or you can't use a server side redirect just do the second - take the content down and put up a link to the new site.

Google already has the old location cached, but they'll figure it out. Just do it quick before Yahoo gets to it.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-23-2005 at 04:44 PM.