Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Welcome GMailRep

I just wanted to give a warm welcome to the GmailRep. We would like to thank you for coming here, answering our questions and just shooting the breeze with us.

I have a question:

How do you determine on when and how many invites to give to current gmail users? Some days I can get 6 invites and other days I get none for weeks or months. Is it an algorithm? If so, can you provide more information?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #2
GmailRep
GmailRep

GmailRep will become famous soon enoughGmailRep will become famous soon enough
Hey - Thanks for the warm welcome!

To answer your question, invitations are provided to Gmail users on a random basis. Some users may receive more invitations than others and the invitation process sort of ebbs and flows.

As our team gathers feedback and suggestions from our current user base and begin making progress with our service, more invitations are issued.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Also, later this week, hopefully, I will get the chance to spend some more time here on the forum and better introduce myself.

Until then,
GMR
GmailRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Thanks GmailRep, we look forward to the formal introduction but we all know you have a day job.

Can you give us more detail on what you mean by "random"?

For example, do you press a big button that says, send 3 invites to all gmail users? Or is it random in the sense that it sends out X invites by itself based on some algorithm developed by one of your PhDs? So I would get 1 invite on Jul 15, and my friend would get 3 invites on Jul 16.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2004   #4
GmailRep
GmailRep

Sorry rustybrick, but I am unable to give you more details regarding the randomization behind issuing Gmail invitations. As you may know we like to keep some secrets to ourselves, so we will have to leave this one a mystery.
Old 07-21-2004   #5
rustybrick

You can't blame me for asking. I totally understand.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 07-21-2004   #6
robwatts
Idoit: A non too bright volunteer

robwatts has a spectacular aura aboutrobwatts has a spectacular aura about
"As you may know we like to keep some secrets to ourselves, so we will have to leave this one a mystery."

Can we start a thread, Google understatements of the year ? And put little gems like this into it.
robwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome GMR, and thanks for the great new email service.

You folks sure started a stampede with everyone else trying to improve and upgrade theirs. The one thing I do miss in email is folders, since sometimes I'll file mail by recipient and other times by subject matter, to either refer back or follow up. It might take some getting used to labeling, since quite often it's an approximation that's used to file certain mail and I won''t always remember how I've filed things.

I haven't gotten any more invites to send out for weeks, probably because I've got two sitting there unused. Bet I'll get more when I send those out.

>>Google understatements of the year

No doubt! My all time favorite is that the things that used to work aren't working any more. I'm sure that endeared GoogleGuy to the hearts of many people.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-22-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #8
GmailRep
GmailRep

Hey Marcia - thanks for the comments. I will reply to your post next, but first I want to introduce myself.

Well, I said I would write a more formal introduction. I figure since I'm new to this forum it would help if you knew a little of my background and what you can expect from me.

I've worked at Google as a user advocate for more than a year. I have worked with users to help them get started, troubleshoot, and communicate their feedback and needs to the teams to who create and make the big decisions. By posting your feedback, my hope is to continue improving the Google/Gmail user experience, because without you, Google doesn't exist!

On that note, here are some things you can expect from me:
  • I may not be able to address everyone's comments and questions. (I also have a 'day job', so I won't have time to get to every post.)
  • If you have specific concerns about your account, the forum may not be the best place to discuss these issues. I'd advise contacting Gmail support directly so they can help you resolve your specific issue.
  • I'll most likely not offer information regarding the future of Gmail, its future direction, business model or future feature implementation, etc...this goes for Google as well.
  • I'll pass along feedback and comments and answer as many of your questions as I can. However, I will make a point to stay away from any extreme ranting or raving, but feel free to rant without me.

I am excited to be a part of this forum. I'm hoping to make a positive contribution and have some fun along the way.

Cheers,
GMR
Old 07-22-2004   #9
robwatts
Idoit: A non too bright volunteer

robwatts has a spectacular aura aboutrobwatts has a spectacular aura about
Hey GMR

I note the non acknowledgement of my feeble excuse for humour, so in the spirit of glasnost and to dispell any rumours that I might be an a$$ I too, would like to wholeheartedly welcome you to these forums
robwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004   #10
GmailRep
GmailRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
The one thing I do miss in email is folders, since sometimes I'll file mail by recipient and other times by subject matter, to either refer back or follow up. It might take some getting used to labeling, since quite often it's an approximation that's used to file certain mail and I won''t always remember how I've filed things.
I apologize for taking so much time to respond! Yesterday was another busy day over here.

Anyway in regards to labels v.s. folders, labels may just take a little getting used to, after all folders have been around for a long time and Gmail is now trying to rethink the way you think about organizing your email. Labels are similar to folders with some added benefits. Using labels allows you to easily categorize the same message under multiple labels unlike folders. Hence one message can reside in your inbox, all mail, as well as any custom assigned labels.

Additionally, if you can't remember where you placed a message, Gmail has a powerful search feature that can help you find those lost messages quickly and easily. I now use Gmail's search for everything. I'm addicted to it and I spend much less time organizing my inbox because I no longer have too.

GMR
Old 07-23-2004   #11
GmailRep
GmailRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwatts
I note the non acknowledgement of my feeble excuse for humour, so in the spirit of glasnost and to dispell any rumours that I might be an a$$ I too, would like to wholeheartedly welcome you to these forums
Hi robwatts - I certainly don't want you to feel ignored! Thanks for the welcome as well - and please feel free to humor me anytime... just remember I may not always respond, but that doesn't mean I won't get a good chuckle from your comments .

Cheers,
GMR
Old 08-11-2004   #12
dpalomo

dpalomo is on a distinguished road
hello everybody

Hello, i want to contribute with this forum but i have not yet a gmail account, can anybody send me an invitation to dpalomo@tiscali.es?
Thanks

David
dpalomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004   #13
eitemiller
err...what goes here?

eitemiller is on a distinguished road
My company would love an invite for Gmail as well - we axiously await your invitation.

webmaster@eatstayplay.com

Thanks!
eitemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #14
pasa

pasa has a little shameless behaviour in the past
invitation

I would very much appreciate if someone can send me an invitation as well, for the sake of internet friendship , and thanks to the Gmailrep for taking time and informing us about the updates.
pasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #15
lots0

Hi there Gmailrep,

I have a comment and a question or two.

I see that Yahoo is now offering 2gb of email storage, without the contextual advertising (no scanning your email for keywords).

Is google going to also offer 2gb of email storage?

Last question, how does google address the privacy issue while scanning each email looking for keywords.
Old 08-18-2004   #16
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Welcome GMailRep

Props to Google for a clean, well thought out interface that's easy to use. But then anything else from Google would be uncivilized!

What are you thoughts on the users who chose to sell their invites on Ebay?
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #17
GmailRep
GmailRep

Hey lots0,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My only excuse is work!

Quote:
I see that Yahoo is now offering 2gb of email storage, without the contextual advertising (no scanning your email for keywords).

Is google going to also offer 2gb of email storage?
I don't know too much about the service that Yahoo! now offers, although it appears they will be offering 2GB's of mail storage as part of their paid mail service. This offer is currently not a free. Also, as far as what Google will offer in future Gmail releases I will have to refrain from comment.

Quote:
Last question, how does Google address the privacy issue while scanning each email looking for keywords.
We do take our users privacy seriously and Gmail's privacy policy does clearly highlight the following:
  • They do not and will never rent, sell or share information that personally
    identifies you for marketing purposes without your express permission.
  • No email content or other personally identifiable information will be
    provided to advertisers.
  • All targeted advertising displayed alongside messages is completely automated technology -- no humans read your email to target ads or related information to you without your consent.

You can find more good information about this on Gmail's Web site at http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html. We also have some additional thoughts on this at: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html.

Last edited by GmailRep : 08-19-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2004   #18
GmailRep
GmailRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero
Props to Google for a clean, well thought out interface that's easy to use. But then anything else from Google would be uncivilized!

What are you thoughts on the users who chose to sell their invites on Ebay?
First off, thanks for the welcome. I'm very happy to be here! My apologies to you as well for having to wait so long for my response.

It's great to hear that you like Gmail's interface and that it's been easy to use. I wish I could take the credit, but our UI and engineering team did all that work!

To answer your question, as it stands right now, we don't condone the sale or auctioning off of Gmail invitations; however, selling or auctioning off existing Gmail accounts is strictly prohibited. I hope that answers your question. If you want to read more about this, you can visit our Program Policies page at: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/p..._policies.html.
Old 08-20-2004   #19
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Bienvenido a SearchEngineWatch Forums!

Hello GmailRep,

Thank you very much for spending part of your valuable "Google time" here at SEW Forums and listen for our feedback. Your recommendations and the information that you share with us here is what makes this forum be be unique and stand out from the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmailRep
By posting your feedback, my hope is to continue improving the Google/Gmail user experience, because without you, Google doesn't exist!
A BIG thank you on that!!!

A few features that I would like to suggest in help of improvement of Gmail:

1) On Check Spelling, it would be nice to select a language. I am a foreign born Hispanic in the U.S. from Mexico City. I write in Spanish about half the time. On that same note, I sometimes rarely get ads for the same reason.

2) Drafts, sometimes email is not ready to sent, needs more thinking and don't want to loose them due to session timeouts.

3) I would love to integrate my other email accounts here. Check all my mail under my Gmail account. Why use Outlook? Gmail-to-go should be the future. So that would also mean more Outlook features, such as: calendar, tasks, notes, etc. I don't mention import contacts, because I alread saw that you guys are working on that to improve.

4) Digital signatures, another piece of the future.

5) WIth regards to Ads, if I could give you a little bit more information about my self (ie. physical address), then I could get geographic targeted results (for example: I live in San Diego, CA).

6) Synchronize with PDAs . . . YES! Yes! yes! I can almost see me checking my Gmail on a Treo 600.

7) Import my Outlook PST file. That could get me to move over and forget about Outlook. Well, maybe Gmail is not ready for that full migration yet but I can't wait for that day to come.

8) Oh yes, the easy one that's probably in the Googleworks now, please let us compose HTML emails, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmailRep
Anyway in regards to labels v.s. folders, labels may just take a little getting used to, after all folders have been around for a long time and Gmail is now trying to rethink the way you think about organizing your email.
Why do we have to make our own labels? Why not use a similar technology like your new product "Picasa" (which I love) and let Gmail guess my labels, then I can go back and edit them. I really don't have time to create the 50+ (or who knows how many) folders I currently use in my Outlook, which I hate doing anyway.

Well, my few cents . . . or maybe a bone or two for now. I will definetly post more as light bulbs start to appear.

Saludos,

Nacho

Last edited by Nacho : 08-20-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004   #20
GmailRep
GmailRep

Hey Nacho,

This is excellent feedback. A big thanks to you too for your 'few cents' and your enthusiasm to go along with it! As stated before, feedback from our users' is what will help us to continue improving Gmail. So we want to hear from you!

It's also so great to see you are using and enjoying Picasa.

GMR