Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Welcome Google AdWordsRep

We have a Rep from Adwords who has offered to help us with the various mysteries of the AdWords program.
Let's play nice and try not to scare him or her away! At least in the first week... let's see if he or she is still around after SES.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #2
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi GoogleRep, what are the conditions that cause AdWords to appear above the regular search results instead of off to the side?
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Nothing like an easy question right out of the gate!
Old 07-20-2004   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
...what are the conditions that cause AdWords to appear above the regular search results instead of off to the side?
Quote:
Nothing like an easy question right out of the gate!
I do love a good easy question!

Hey Bernard - I've just stopped by here for a few minutes between other tasks, but I'll give you some headlines. Ads which go to the (one or two) tops spots must:

* be reviewed and approved, and
* meet an additional performance bar that focuses on relevancy - rather than what you're paying

A few nuances:

Ads on the right are positioned by virtue of two factors, measured equally. These factors are Maximum CPC and CTR. Max CPC x CTR = your rank number. And it is your rank number as compared to your competitors rank numbers that determines position.

Ads going to the top, however, weigh CTR (which is a measure of the relevance of your ads to users) more heavily than CPC. And rather than Maximum CPC, it is the actual CPC that matters.

Hope that clears it up a bit!

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #5
AdWordsRep

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Oh, and BTW, I'll come back a little later in the day and 'formally' introduce myself. I won't make you all wade through too much detail, however.

Just wanted to get an answer out to Bernard, who has been waiting a bit.

So, back later. Until then...

AWR
Old 07-20-2004   #6
AussieWebmaster

Welcome aboard... now what was the line at the end of Casablanca?
Old 07-20-2004   #7
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Thanks AWR, so basically ads that are generating the most revenue per impression get the primo spots.

Does an ad's daily budget also factor into the performance bar?
Old 07-20-2004   #8
AdWordsRep

Quote:
Thanks AWR, so basically ads that are generating the most revenue per impression get the primo spots.
Well, as I mentioned, going to the top spots is more about relevance (CTR) than CPC.

Quote:
Does an ad's daily budget also factor into the performance bar?
Nope. Well, only in the sense that a campaign with a too-low daily budget won't show the ad all the time. And when it isn't showing, it won't be in the top spot!

But, other than that, no.

(I've just realized I should be careful with my sense of humor, as all y'all don't really know me yet. I do tend to be a little tongue in cheek sometimes, just to warn you in advance.)

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 07-20-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2004   #9
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Thanks AWR. So it is possible for an ad that first appears in position 8 on the side bar to move directly to the top (over regular search) position if it had an outstanding CTR (and enough CPC disparity from ads 1-7 to prevent it moving up the side bar as the CTR jumps)?
Old 07-20-2004   #10
Shak
dot communist

Shak will become famous soon enough
welcome aboard AWR

Shak
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster

We need more sarcasm in the thread... offers a little comic relief to the intensity which many take it all
Old 07-20-2004   #12
AdWordsRep

As I mentioned earlier, I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself - since I'm brand new on this Forum. Thanks for having me here, btw.

I've worked with the AdWords program for slightly over two years now, in a variety of capacities - all focusing on understanding what does and doesn't work for our advertisers. Perhaps my favorite role is to understand the needs of AdWords advertisers, and to advocate for those needs amongst the decision makers at AdWords.

Towards this end, you may know me as AdWordsAdvisor on another site - where I've been learning (and posting) for the past year or so.

For the past year and a half, I've compiled advertiser feedback into a weekly report that goes to dozens of folks across disciplines here at Google. And, I am delighted to say, that this report is actually read.

So, I'll of course include feedback that I've heard on this Forum in that report (unless I have specifically been asked not to do so). It's an excellent chance for you to be heard.

A few words about what to expect:

* I'll probably start slowly, and build up speed over time. And since I do have a 'day job', I'll be dropping by as often as time permits during the course of the day. It could easily be several hours between visits - so if you've asked a direct question of me, and I haven't responded, well, please know that I'm not ignoring you.

* I'm not really in a position to take on & solve individual account issues in a Forum such as this, and would prefer to focus on topics of wide interest. Because resolving individual issues usually involves being able to see the actual account, I'd advise contacting AdWords support directly for assistance with your unique account. I can offer some tips for getting quick and effective support, though, which I'll do in the near future.

* I can't really answer questions about what the future might hold for AdWords, nor am I able to discuss Google's business model. This is true now, more than ever, as Google is in a 'quite period'.

* I'll always be happy to pass your feedback on - and will make a point of doing so. However, I'll most often let raging controversies rage on without me.

So, I hope that gives you all some idea of what I'm about, and again, thanks for having me on this excellent Forum!

I hope that you'll find me to be a good resource, straightforward, and not without a sense of humor.

AWR
Old 07-20-2004   #13
AdWordsRep

Quote:
welcome aboard AWR

Shak
Shak, I must say that it was with real delight that I first saw your name on this board a few days ago!

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 07-20-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2004   #14
AdWordsRep

Oh, and one other really important thing that I'd like to add to my introduction:

I usually tend to hang back a bit before answering, to see if someone else in the forum wants to jump in with the answer.

I want to be seen as another resource for a useful answer, and not as the resource. If my experience elsewhere is anything to go on, there are some extremely sharp folks posting here. So, really, I'd rather that people address their questions to the Forum at large, rather than to me in particular.

Most often, I will not be the first one with right answer!

AWR
Old 07-21-2004   #15
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
This is true now, more than ever, as Google is in a 'quite period'.
A "'quite period'" sounds aweful!!! Hope it ends soon

Welcome, BTW, and glad to have your perspective.
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #16
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
Oh, and one other really important thing that I'd like to add to my introduction:

I usually tend to hang back a bit before answering, to see if someone else in the forum wants to jump in with the answer.

I want to be seen as another resource for a useful answer, and not as the resource. If my experience elsewhere is anything to go on, there are some extremely sharp folks posting here. So, really, I'd rather that people address their questions to the Forum at large, rather than to me in particular.

Most often, I will not be the first one with right answer!

AWR
Seems like an intelligent way to do it... plus makes the rest of us work a little too!
Old 07-21-2004   #17
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Reporting on clicks and spend, by country

Hi AdWordsRep, your answer on rescuing disabled keywords was great. I'm sure it will help a lot of people. Thanks!

My question is this:

Let's say I have my campaign set to show ads to the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

I would like to know how many of my clicks, and what proportion of my spend, were generated "down under."

Is there any way to do this?

If not, what kind of timetable might Google have for offering this type of reporting for AdWords advertisers? Obviously, it's a very practical thing for some advertisers, but in general, for those of us who want general trend info, the idea of how much additional English-speaking traffic might get generated if one turned on "all countries" is a real head-scratcher. With country-by-country reporting one could see the true picture.

(After the quiet period is over, I'm guessing. )
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #18
DigitalRoad

DigitalRoad is on a distinguished road
Welcome AWR. Great to have you aboard.

Jon
DigitalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #19
AdWordsRep

Quote:
So it is possible for an ad that first appears in position 8 on the side bar to move directly to the top (over regular search) position if it had an outstanding CTR (and enough CPC disparity from ads 1-7 to prevent it moving up the side bar as the CTR jumps)?
Missed this question until now, Bernard. Sorry about that.

I can't imagine a circumstance when this would happen. Essentially, it will be the top performing approved ads on the right, which also meet an additional performance standard focusing on CTR, that will go to the top.

Hope that makes it clear.

AWR
Old 07-22-2004   #20
AdWordsRep

Quote:
Say I have my campaign set to show ads to the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

I would like to know how many of my clicks, and what proportion of my spend, were generated "down under."

Is there any way to do this?

If not, what kind of timetable might Google have for offering this type of reporting for AdWords advertisers?
Interesting question and good points, andrewgoodman.

At present, the only way I can picture you being able to pull country-by-country stats from within your AdWords account, would be to create a separate campaign for each individual country. Not what you are looking for, I know.

I'm not highly technical (as you will soon tire of hearing me say ), but would there not be a way to pull this sort of information from your server logs?

I'll certainly pass your thoughts along to the right folks as a 'Feature Request' tomorrow evening, in my regular Advertiser Feedback report (as mentioned a few posts above).

As far as a timetable goes, well, I really have no way of knowing that.

BTW, your name sounds mighty familiar...

AWR

PS to projectphp and DigitalRoad: Thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated.

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 07-22-2004 at 03:03 PM.