Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2005   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Google Earth Arrives

Google has launched Google Earth, a hybrid that merges its Keyhole 3D satellite imagery product with local search and maps -- and they're giving it away for free. I've reviewed the new tool in today's SearchDay article, Google Earth Flies Free. Also see Google Earth Launching For Free? Launches For Free from InsideGoogle for another review with screenshots, as well as First Impressions: Google's Amazing Earth from PC World for an even longer review stuffed with screenshots.

Comments welcome!
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #2
esoos
extraordinaire

esoos is on a distinguished road
It's cool they're releasing this for free. However, the features and resolution seem to have been pared way down from when this software was known as KeyHole.

There's no ability to switch image databases as far as I can tell, and most of Hawaii's just a big blur.

Still, props to Google for making it free. If it were perfect, then I guess no one would have any reason to upgrade to the Google Earth Plus or Google Earth Pro versions.
esoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
mickisdaddy

mickisdaddy is on a distinguished road
Pretty cool program

I downloaded this last night after I read about it on this thread. Pretty neat program. There are some areas that the resolution is horrible, but this could imporove with time.

The search feature is pretty good. It is pretty accurate for addresses in the United States and Canada. I really like the way you can put a thumbtack thingy (I can't remember what it is called in the program). You can "fly" between two points. Some of the images are only a couple years old.
mickisdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #4
mickmel

Actually, it seems that some of the images are less than a year old. Of course, some of them are 5+ years old as well, so it goes both ways. It'll be interesting to see how often Google updates data in the Earth.
Old 07-07-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmel
Actually, it seems that some of the images are less than a year old. Of course, some of them are 5+ years old as well, so it goes both ways. It'll be interesting to see how often Google updates data in the Earth.
The line "how often Google updates data in the Earth" gives me a completely different mental image tahn the context of the comment.... sort of like the Pigeon Rank page I see data engineers scratching with pointed sticks in the dirt.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #6
Johnny

How to make Google Earth GO

I just now downloaded and installed (I thought) GoogleEarth.exe, and now I can't figure out how to make it go! An icon has been placed on my WinXp desktop, but that just runs the installation program.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--Johnny
Old 07-09-2005   #7
esoos
extraordinaire

esoos is on a distinguished road
Have you tried going to Start->All Programs and seeing if it's listed there?
esoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005   #8
mharrell

I just implemented a Real Estate search engine that integrates with Google Earth (as well as Google Maps). You can check it out at http://www.coloradofuture.com I would love to know what you think.

Mike
Old 08-05-2005   #9
jbryant

Theres now software that allows you to create models for display in Google Earth! check out www.dpearth.com for more details, and this page for some samples. The models look great!