Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Traffic Percentages Increasing

Ever since the switch, traffic from Yahoo to my clients sites has been rising pretty consistently (both with free inclusion & SM)-

in many cases, we're starting to get really close to the google percentages - Y! is easily accounting for 25-35% now of all traffic, which is getting significantly close to google's average of 35-45%

anyone else seeing similar or even higher numbers?
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Interesting. Most my sites (which are technology related) only get about 10% of its traffic from Yahoo.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #3
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
most of my stuff is about 10-12% too
Old 06-03-2004   #4
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
I have notice an increase in Yahoo referrals (Health related site), as well as better rankings at Yahoo Search over Google rankings.

Now I am not saying this may be the cause, but this one site in particular is heavily laden with Clinks to a Yahoo Store (the mother site). It could be that results are just plain stale and left-over from the Inktomi crawls too. We did not opt for SiteMatch though, and these results that we are enjoying now may slide in the long run.
Old 06-04-2004   #5
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
hmmm....

I am seeing exactly the opposite for technology related sites:

One particular sites SE traffic stats:
March
Google 37.8%
Yahoo 40.8%

April
Google 48.9%
Yahoo 37.4%

May
Google 55.8%
Yahoo 29.2%

This site has good rankings in both search engines, but if anything ranks better in Yahoo than Google.

Go figure.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004   #6
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
Have you been adding fresh content Mel? Or are the sites pretty much static right now (and before)? And is the total traffic the same or is it going up?
Old 06-04-2004   #7
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
The quoted site has been essentially static since before Florida, only updates are minor changes to existing pages. Traffic has been more or less constant with normal 10% ups and downs.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004   #8
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
I'm seeing Yahoo! start to bring in more visitors, as well. It's more-so on the consumer searches rather than the B2B search terms, though. B2Bers are still using Google.
Old 06-04-2004   #9
Dodger
Honorary Member

Almost looks like there is a trend here. The shoppers are migrating to Yahoo, while the technical type and information seekers are going with Google.

Mel's traffic is going up on Google and down on Yahoo. Further he has not really changed anything to account for this.

The only thing that has changed is that there is a approximately an additional 7% per month increase in people connecting to the Internet over the last few months. The largest increases being in Europe and Asia which added an additional 20 million users just last month.
Old 06-04-2004   #10
dlux

dlux is on a distinguished road
I'm with Dodger, though for the site I work on it's always been this way. Historically we'd get a few tire kickers that come in and leave pretty quickly while visitors from yahoo and even MSN actually converted into sales way more often. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but while google traffic tends to be more the actual sales are coming from Y!. Go figure!
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004   #11
minstrel

minstrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlux
we'd get a few tire kickers that come in and leave pretty quickly while visitors from yahoo and even MSN actually converted into sales way more often.
LMAO "tire kickers" -- I love it!
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004   #12
dlux

dlux is on a distinguished road
glad I could make someone smile today!
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #13
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
I am seeing a huge growth in Yahoo! traffic. I am not sure if it is due to Google rankings suffering, but Google and Yahoo! are now neck-in-neck, at least for some domains.
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #14
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
Mine sits as:

Google 29.0%
msn 13.7%
Yahoo! 13.5%
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #15
Jiffy

Jiffy is on a distinguished road
Hey guys! did you know there's a whole article written about you guys on webproworld.com by Mike McDonald.

Check it out at Has the Google/Yahoo Split Changed Referral Rates?

A similar discussion is going on here as well http://webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=22796

cheeerios!

Last edited by Marcia : 11-09-2004 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Fixed link to go direct to article
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote