Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005   #1
seo
seo

seo is on a distinguished road
Post e-Commerce News & Updates

Moderator Note: Two threads on this topic have merged.

GOOGLE
Would you feel safer using Google for Electronic Payments over Pay-Pal?
Major news media reporting Google plans to release a competing alternative to Pay-pal?
What improvements would Google make over the Pay Pal systems - or would theirs be intergrated with their online advertising campaigns

Last edited by dannysullivan : 06-20-2005 at 02:58 PM.
seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005   #2
hello2paul

If Google can persuade e-bay to oust Paypal for their new system - then we'd have to sit up and take it seriosuly!
Old 06-19-2005   #3
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Ebay owns Paypal, so it's unlikely to drop that.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #4
winsonlu

winsonlu is on a distinguished road
Google plans pay service to rival PayPal

Google plans pay service to rival PayPal-WSJ
Fri Jun 17, 2005 08:42 PM ET
NEW YORK, June 17 (Reuters)

Maybe it is a good news for google adsenss.

Last edited by DaveN : 06-20-2005 at 07:57 AM. Reason: linking to article
winsonlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #5
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Many merchants are asked by buyers for a variety of payment methods. For example, though I accept Paypal as well as other methods, I've been asked for something called Stormpay. But you do have to draw the line somewhere and say, well, if Paypal, credit card, check, won't work for you, then I am not going to sign up for another account just to accommodate the odd statistical outlier.

But in the case of Google, if they do it, it will catch on because it will be standard enough that a lot of people will have accounts. It shouldn't be that much extra hassle to sign up, and probably this would also be used in future to pay for ecommerce purchases or Google services, similar to Yahoo Wallet.

The interesting question then is how will Yahoo respond to this trend?
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #6
Bondings

Bondings is on a distinguished road
Most webmasters use adwords and/or adsense. If google used the Google Wallet for those services, then most webmasters would have a GW account. And if they have an account, why not use it on their website? In this case, the webmasters are going to decide if GW will or won't get popular. And it sure looks like they're going to win that battle.
Bondings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #7
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
And a browser to bring it all together

So now G just needs their browser and they can put a bow on the pretty package of a web browser with (among many others) integrated search, payment, email, social networking and driving directions....for the ladies.
Old 06-21-2005   #8
Qal
Clueless Newbie!

Qal is on a distinguished road
What the heck! Is google trying to conquer the world? :|
Qal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #9
Jorge

Jorge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Ebay owns Paypal, so it's unlikely to drop that.
The first thing I thought when I heard the news is that finally google has decided to really diversify its sources of income. Ebay though...that is a nice market. I bet you google will have an "eboogle" of its own very soon.
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #10
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin
So now G just needs their browser and they can put a bow on the pretty package of a web browser with (among many others) integrated search, payment, email, social networking and driving directions....for the ladies.
You meant pretty package of a web PORTAL right Jeff.... and forgot directory, news, catalogues and its own store...
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #11
Pyrrhonist

Pyrrhonist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qal
What the heck! Is google trying to conquer the world? :|
One word... yes.

It should be pretty easy for everyone on Froogle to create a G-Wallet which would really set off their store as well. If things keep up this way I'm going to have to start cheering for Microsoft *shivers*
Pyrrhonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #12
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I rather like the current incarnation of PayPal, even though I am currently getting dozens of "Dear Valued Member, there was unusual activity in your account and we are going to shut it down if you don't click on this link right now" letters, which incidently points to an IP address in China...

I think they would have to come up with something really, really good (and different) in order to beat PayPals branding and offerings. I don't think small improvements would do it.

I'm just not sure what it would look like.

Ian
Old 06-22-2005   #13
Qal
Clueless Newbie!

Qal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think they would have to come up with something really, really good (and different) in order to beat PayPals branding and offerings. I don't think small improvements would do it.

I'm just not sure what it would look like.
Exactly my thoughts!
Qal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #14
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
PayPal now has a gateway

Looks like PayPal just raised the stakes by offering a gateway for merchants for $20 a month + 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...erview-outside
Old 06-22-2005   #15
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin
Looks like PayPal just raised the stakes by offering a gateway for merchants for $20 a month + 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...erview-outside
I was under the impression this has been around for a while....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote