Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2004   #1
imfeelinglucky

imfeelinglucky will become famous soon enough
July PR and Backlink Update

Seeing new PR and BL
Yahoo now at 386,000 backlinks - 449,000 backlinks

Last edited by imfeelinglucky : 07-16-2004 at 09:43 PM.
imfeelinglucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I don't see any changes yet . . . I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks!
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Which data center?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #4
Kristina

Kristina is on a distinguished road
I'm not seeing PR updated... ? Backlinks though... VERY weird.
Kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #5
megri

megri is on a distinguished road
We are surprised to see that it is has double the BL of all our sites. Now in BL it is showing pages with PR0 PR1,2,3 What is the New move from Google

I have idea that the Back Link theory (PR4) is being removed by google , and now it is counting only theme based and there is no question of PR-0 or more. Question is theme of the page where from you are getting link.

Google seems to be baised with yahoo so far as BL are concerned
megri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #6
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I see the update now

Bad Google, bad Google !

I went from 415 to 357 backlinks on my homepage. It added one more inbound link from external domain and removed 71 internal backlinks. These 71 were PR4 pages before, so they could have lost rank and dropped.

I guess I have to focus on site architecture and link building a bit more the next few months.

Thanks Google for keeping me busy and a job
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #7
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
This is strange eh? I am not seeing anything right now. Although I am sure some of you are. But I reported seeing changes two weeks ago (see this post). As Kristina stated here, what I saw back then were additional backlinks being reported and I did not see any PR changes.
Old 07-17-2004   #8
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
Yep, I am seeing the backlinks now. Pretty much what I saw a couple of weeks ago.....garbage .... a lot of garbage links. I think Google is loosening up on their reporting for some reason. On one site, I gained over 150 alone and several of those are right here from SEW too. (not that I consider a link from SEW garbage).
Old 07-17-2004   #9
qwerty
Proudly Title-Free

qwerty will become famous soon enoughqwerty will become famous soon enough
I have to wonder why links from here are showing up. The only link from this site to mine is on my profile page, yet Google is reporting three links from posts I've made here.
Old 07-17-2004   #10
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't see any from posts, but what I did see altogether for backlinks was one sorry eyeful.
Old 07-18-2004   #11
Dodger
Honorary Member

People are going to find out sooner or later. Do a view source of this page people. You have one link per post! They are in the old drop down menu for your profile. It is disabled, but the code is there for the line Visit Home Page. I found that out from Yahoo a few weeks ago.

But, like Marcia said ... there were a lot of crap links showing up. Some are copy-cat DMOZ directories, but those have disappeared (for me anyway). I have two forums that I am part of --and oddly enough a ton of forum siglinks showed up on those and so far they are holding steady.

There seems to be some PR moving on one of my sites right now (in the down direction...drats). I took a PR snapshot of some sites earlier this morning so I can compare when the dust settles. I hate clock-watching.

Last edited by Dodger : 07-18-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #12
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
It appears to me that, for whatever reason, Google has flipped what it's showing. These are the backlinks that Google was not displaying before. I'm guessing that it doesn't represent a change in whatever backlinks Google is counting, but I've been wrong before.

About a week ago I noticed sort of a mini-update in the backlinks of a site I watch closely... The number of backlinks shown increased from x links to y links, roughly doubling. I'm now seeing a different group entirely, consisting of z links. None of these appeared in the y links... those have all vanished. What's interesting to me, and this is rough, is that y+z=(the number of backlinks currently showing on Yahoo).

These are remembered figures from one site only. I've not listed and checked off the links, and this is not to be taken as gospel, but I'll bet it's close to right.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #13
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Interesting to say the least! I am seeing lots of links from forum posts (here and elsewhere) that were never shown in the link: search before, plus lots more other links, and links from lots of PR1 and 2 pages even. I am not seeing any change in PR, or any ranking changes. Many (if not most) of the forum links are only partially indexed.

I do not see more sites linking to me with the @URL search, and so am concluding that this is only a variation of how Google determines which links to show with the link: search.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #14
Marcia

Googlebot has a voracious, insatiable appetite, and it's safe to assume that any link anyplace of any kind that she finds - or even a reference to a site - won't go unnoticed by Google. What's worth anything, or how much or little, has little to do with what they show us though, imho.

I still don't see this as an update, to me it looks like a hefty dose of alternative medicine being handed out, maybe as part of an attempt to cure the SEO plague that's been running rampant.
Old 07-18-2004   #15
Dodger
Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Charlton
About a week ago I noticed sort of a mini-update in the backlinks of a site I watch closely... The number of backlinks shown increased from x links to y links, roughly doubling.
So I was not the only one who saw that. It was more than a week, right about on the 4th. And it resembled pretty much what is going on now, except the settling part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
I still don't see this as an update, to me it looks like a hefty dose of alternative medicine being handed out, maybe as part of an attempt to cure the SEO plague that's been running rampant.
That was one of my thoughts too. Google just playing with the links: reporting to make us think there is something there that isn't. Besides just signature links showing up, I am also seeing Guestbook entries and links from PR0 and PR2 link exchange pages from one of them (ahem) services -- all pretty much the classic "taboo" type links.

Having signature links in the mix is something to think about though. If they are showing the other type at will, then you have to give pause to them showing signature links at will also -- in other words they are very detectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
I do not see more sites linking to me with the @URL search, and so am concluding that this is only a variation of how Google determines which links to show with the link: search.
The @: search is the same as a #:, $:, %:, or a : search. All of those characters are ingnored (like the hyphen) unless it has one of their shortcut queries preceding it. Thus, @:domain.com is the same as domain.com and clicking on the link "contain the term" domain.com.

Last edited by Dodger : 07-18-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #16
jan

jan is on a distinguished road
BL more than doubled and random set shown.
Don't know if this is because more links or changed algo.
No PR change so far.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #17
trafficsmack

trafficsmack is on a distinguished road
Link Exchange Killer

New Guy Here, but been in this business for 5 years. From what I can tell, Google changed their Backlink Algo to kill link exchanges. I noticed small changes last month, but big ones this month. My sub pages - pages that are not linked to by my main index page, but link back to my main index page were counted as back links, but pages directly below my main page were not. Also, I have a few link exchanges in place with high PR sites. Not link exchange directories, but traffic exchanges. Their relevant High PR Page for my Relevant High PR page. Zero backlinks. Maybe its too early and I am wrong, but it looks like they are trying to squash link exchanges for PR.

If so, I think this has major repercussions and I agree with the reason that they are doing it, but I think they should have looked at "local rank" rather than just reciprocal links.
trafficsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #18
Marcia

trafficsmack, they're showing some recips even on a couple of sites that are practically cross-linked - and yet some quality one-ways aren't being shown.

There's no rhyme or reason to some of it; if Local Rank were prominently in the picture it would be more comprehensible than some of what's being shown now.
Old 07-18-2004   #19
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Quote:
The @: search is the same as a #:, $:, %:, or a : search. All of those characters are ingnored (like the hyphen) unless it has one of their shortcut queries preceding it. Thus, @:domain.com is the same as domain.com and clicking on the link "contain the term" domain.com.
Sorry but I am not talking about that term dodger I am talking about the @URL search where the @ character is NOT ingored

Examples:
link:search-engine-optimization.ecommercehosts.com returns 154 backlinks, most of which are now showing forum sig links, but many of the them are internal links.

@search-engine-optimization.ecommercehosts.com returns: 619 results all of which contain the url on the page somewhere.

search-engine-optimization.ecommercehosts.com returns:
Sorry, no information is available for the URL search-engine-optimization.ecommercehosts.com

Last edited by Mel : 07-18-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #20
trafficsmack

trafficsmack is on a distinguished road
Cool More Input Anyone?

Hi Marcia,

I am seeing strange results too. Maybe we are in the middle of the Algo change and we need to let it settle. At the very least, I did find 1 common characteristic. This go around - Google really likes in-bound only links. This would explain why sub-PR4 pages are getting credit for backlinks. I have 2500 Backlinks to one of my sites. At least half are sub PR 3.

I really hope this doesn't impact page rank inheritance when the sub-page links back to the top page!

We'll see. Anyone else have a theory?
trafficsmack is offline   Reply With Quote