Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2005   #1
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
Question Google, IP Diversity, & eBay : read on ...

Hello World.

There's alot of buzz and consensus on SEW that IP diversity is crucial for link building for the Big G (the new king of all media).

Buying text links on eBay seems like a great way to diversify where my links are coming from. Prices are relatively inexpensive compared to brokers.

In your opinion (yes, you!), is this a practice that should be avoided or should I be bid happy and buy strong, diversified links like a madman?

Of course factors such as inbound/outbound ratio, toolbar PR (for what it's worth), and link positioning are always taken into account before purchasing.

All humble and non humble opinions appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by jewboy : 06-16-2005 at 02:03 PM.
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
a quote of $45,000 for a crappy PR6 link
IMHO, it's better to pay a couple of dollars, to compensate the webmaster for their time and trouble, and get links from PR3, PR4 or even PR2 pages that are targeted to your site's niche and visitors' interests, and will send a few interested visitors by now and then.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #3
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
IMHO, it's better to pay a couple of dollars, to compensate the webmaster for their time and trouble, and get links from PR3, PR4 or even PR2 pages that are targeted to your site's niche and visitors' interests, and will send a few interested visitors by now and then.
Marcia,

Please clarify. How is it time and trouble for a webmaster - whose source of income is selling ads - to place a link? More time and trouble than to add a banner or to integrate contextual advertising? I'm not quite sure what you mean here....

Is that really the purpose of a text ad - to draw traffic directly? I had this wild notion that the purpose is to drive their respective sites higher on the SERPs when the anchor text is queried in the engines.

Anyhow, to get back on topic - is it more economical and / or effective to purchase links on eBay than to rent clusters from the text link brokers?
Old 06-16-2005   #4
massa

massa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nice
Couple of points before anyone spends Mercedes money on some links.

#1. In 2005 our clients are buying, (and doing well with) a lot more 3-4-5 on unique IP links for $10 a month than pre 2005 when 8s and 9s for thousands of dollars each were the "thing".

#2. There are getting to be enough econo-hosts offering unique class c IP hosting that as long as you know how to manage your own links and don't mind waiting a couple of months, it makes a lot more financial sense to simply own your own links. When a unique class c domain is less than $10 a month and it's relatively easy yo get that domain to a 3 or 4 or even a 5, the value of paying someone you have to monitor, someone you don't control and someone you have to pay on a regular basis becomes comparatively reduced.

Of course if you're just wanting to spend Mercedes money on a few links, I'm sure you won't have to look too hard to find someone who says they will do it.
massa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #5
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
halleluhia sister!
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #6
jewboy

Question

Funny reply Massa! Love that sense of humour!

If I can buy a dozen quality text links in a day on eBay, all on different IP blocks, and all for a reasonable amount, is there a reason I should NOT be doing this? Is it going to come back and bite me in the tuchas?
Old 06-16-2005   #7
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by promediacorp
Is that really the purpose of a text ad - to draw traffic directly? I had this wild notion that the purpose is to drive their respective sites higher on the SERPs when the anchor text is queried in the engines.
Be careful what you say...you never know who may be watching The main purpose of links is to provide further relevant content to visitors of websites. What you suggest is, however, a current "side effect."

Quote:
Originally Posted by promediacorp
Anyhow, to get back on topic - is it more economical and / or effective to purchase links on eBay than to rent clusters from the text link brokers?
I would say "probably" to that question, as long as you have direct control over the choice of links you will be receiving, and that they are from content relevant sites. It could be quite costly if future algorithm changes cause these links to hurt rather than help, would you agree? In that case then renting might be better. We can never assume that current effective "side effects" will stay the same...so perhaps renting is safer.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #8
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Is that really the purpose of a text ad - to draw traffic directly?
It is if you want to keep the system working that way.

Quote:
I had this wild notion that the purpose is to drive their respective sites higher on the SERPs when the anchor text is queried in the engines.
Nope. That's just a very useful side-effect of good, on-topic links.

Here is an example. I helped a client buy some on-topic side-wides on a site once. It cost about a thousand a month of so - nice site, good PR, etc.

About a week later, he phoned me to tell me that, lo and behold! he was getting "real" traffic from the site! People were actually visiting directly from the link and buying stuff! More amazingly, he was making more money off them than he was spending.

Not so amazing, and not a coincidence - that's how I look for links - they should offer a real possibility of real traffic. Then I buy the ones with nice PR or authority status, etc. But the first pass should be to choose on-topic, actually useful links.

Now, if the site were to ever lose PR or get filtered or the text link area were to be discounted, he would still have a profitable link. THAT is a valuable link.

If a link doesn't have any practical possibility of sending you actual human traffic, then I would avoid buying it (you can give it to me for free, though - I don't mind that!).

If there is, then it's a good link, and the fact that it sends you some link love in terms of PR is a great bonus that should not be ignored.

I prefer to be a smart shopper when my money (or that of my client) is on the line.

To use an analogy, I would not buy a fancy looking sports car that didn't actually drive anywhere just to improve my image (even if my image might be improved by doing so). I *might* buy a functional and safe car that didn't look so great. I would definately buy a car that worked great and looked great though (assuming the price wasn't stupidly high). I look for something that works well first, then, out of that group, look for something to deal with my mid-life (or mid-SERP, if you will) crisis...

My opinion,

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 06-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.
mcanerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #9
jewboy

Wink

Great reply Chris!

Call me a rebel rouser, but IMHO the primary purpose of a paid static text link is to influence the SERPs, and the side effect is the direct traffic it draws.

It's no secret that many multibillion dollar corps are using keyword rich static anchor text links in order to maintain their positions in the SERPS.

Some examples:

-Monster.com, using anchor text "look for a job"
-RealEstate.com, using anchor text "MLS Listings"
-CNN.com, using anchor text "Up to Date News"
-E! Network, using anchor text "Entertainment Info"
-Amazon, using anchor text "shopping ideas"

All the above examples came from the YU Observer, the college newspaper of Yeshiva University. I am highly skeptical that the above corporations are advertising on college newspapers to draw traffic directly to their sites rather than to preserve their rankings on the SERPS. Does it not seem a little out of place that Realestate.com (a Barry Dillar property) is targeting a bunch of poor college students to drive traffic to his site?

Furthermore, the fact that the paid outbound links are maxed out at 15 is evidence to support my case.
Old 06-17-2005   #10
gdawg

gdawg will become famous soon enoughgdawg will become famous soon enough
One thing to keep in mind is how Google treats these static inbound links that you want to purchase. Google's recent patent filing reveals some interesting info on this topic. One piece of information is in regards to the click through rates of a websites inbound links. So hypothetically, Google can monitor the links you buy (Google Toolbar) and determine if people are actually clicking on these links and therefore determine if they are useful. If you go buy 100 links and no one ever clicks on these links then that will decrease their weight for ranking purposes. Obviously, we do not know exactly when or if Google will start using this formula in their algo.
gdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #11
jewboy

We don't know what tricks G has up their sleeves for the future. Sure the toolbar can "theoretically" track everything, but what they are monitoring is pure speculation. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 06-20-2005   #12
gomer

gomer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So hypothetically, Google can monitor the links you buy (Google Toolbar) and determine if people are actually clicking on these links and therefore determine if they are useful.
Very interesting.

A question though. Perhaps Google could monitor which links you buy through the Toolbar but how could they monitor if someone someone clicked on a link which took them from site A to site B? Is the Toolbar relaying that kind of information?
gomer is offline   Reply With Quote