Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2005   #1
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Bourbon Update

Hello All,

I have been reading a fair bit recently as many have about Google's newest PR Stunt/Update called 'Bourbon Update'.

All this talk from GoogleGuy is wonderful and does help us SEO's make sense of updates and changes that happen with Google, but I'm abit confused with this update.

It has always been my belief to follow good design and seo strategies to avoid being hampered or penalized when an ALGO change or Update occurs with Google, Yahoo and/or MSN. It has always been my practice to engage in link building practices with only relevant, spam free websites and

furthermore, I maintain those same practices when doing on-page SEO. Hidden text, link farms, keyword stuffing has been something that can hurt your potential rankings for years, so why all of the sudden this is being brought up again.

From my readings it appears this Bourbon update is not over yet, but also appears to include 'new' filters for linking with LINK FARMS, SPAMMY SITES, etc...but again I'm confused as this is something SEO's have known not to do for ages.

If there is someone who rather then showing me the WMW post from GoogleGuy pertaining to the Bourbon Update, can maybe explain whats new about this beleieved update I would greatly appreciate!

Cheers!

Critter
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #2
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Who names these things? Bourbon update? why not "fuzzy nipple update". Or even better how about the June 05 update so new comers know what the hell we're talking about instead of this crypto jargon nonsense.
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #3
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
WMW names the updates. Bourbon was chosen for this update because the upcoming WMW conference is being held in New Orleans (think Bourbon St.).
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #4
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
ANy comments actually in regards to the questions I had?

Any comments on the actual update rather then its proposed name?

Cheers

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
As dazzlindonna pointed out, WebmasterWorld has a long tradition of giving names to various Google updates, which used happen on a roughly monthly basis and were collectively known as the Google Dance. A very nice summary of past names can be found here: Google Update History.

Sometimes the names stick widely; sometimes not. The "Florida" update of Nov/Dec. 2003 is a great example of one that stuck.

Over here, decided earlier this year just to go with a month/year name for an update on any search engine. Not so cool, but perhaps a little less confusing. If we see a WMW name widely used, we'll make reference to that alongside the month and date.

As for what's going on now, What Happened To Google Overnight? is a now closed discussion covering some early changes reported and spotted in the May 2005 update.

Significant Changes In Google Results: May 2005 is a new thread for further observations we've just opened, so maybe you'll see more come there.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote