Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Google indexing parked domains from Registrar feed

We first learned back in February that Google became a registrar, but there was much speculation why. Personally, I still speculate many ideas "why". One seems to be more obvious to me now.

Today, as part of the May 2005 Google Dance update it's hard to not be tempted to check up on the SERPs. I usually learn something new just by making observations in changes. This time, I search for the query ihispanic and noticed that one of my parked domains "ihispanic.net" was showing up in the rankings as an indexed URL. As far as I know, unless someone out there made a misspelling error when linking, there are absolutely no links to it (and can be confirmed in Yahoo! with the link: command). Just in case, here is a snapshot of Google's search result:

+ Click image to enlarge

Sometimes I forget what I do with my domains, so first I use the "SEO Consultants Directory Check Server Headers" tool to get the following results:
Quote:
Current Date and Time: 2005-06-02T14:06:54-0800
User IP Address: 66.27.51.254#1 Server Response: h*tp://www.ihispanic.net
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Connection: Close
Pragma: no-cache
cache-control: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Then, I went to my registrar and verified that it is:
Quote:
Nameservers Summary:
PARK15.SECURESERVER.NET
PARK16.SECURESERVER.NET

Forwarding to http://www.ihispanic.com
Therefore, if what I'm thinking is correct then there could be no other way other than if Google got a feed from all the Registrars' registered domains and add them all to the index. If this remains, then...
  • what will the consequences be?
  • will there be duplication?
  • how will it affect relevancy?
  • what will Google do with all this information (is it to fight spam only or a lot more)?
  • what else...?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #2
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
You're right, Google must be using their new domain registrar status to add more domains to their database.

What I've also seen is that there are domains in the index that are available for registration, as well. (I came across one just last night). Not only that, I checked the Internet Archive (archive.org) and it appears that that domain has never been registered. And yet it appears at the top of the SERPs for its domain name.

This is not only happening to parked domains, it's happening to domains that aren't registered and have never been registered.
Old 06-02-2005   #3
garyp

garyp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the rough
In an email to my friend Nacho I pointed out that I was able to find his
IHispanic.net domain also indexed (but uncrawled) in Yahoo and also in MSN (via Clusty)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UT...=ihispanic.net

http://clusty.com/search?query=ihispanic.net

Accessing newly registered domains is easy, in fact I have an alert service (small fee) that every morning sends me lists of domains registered the previous day for any and all keywords I want. For any search engine to do the same and then add the domains to their crawl would be very simple.

Just for fun. On Wed
654,557 new .com domains were registered
669,190 were deleted
36,393 were transferred.

Btw, using a service like Dialog's WHOIS database (look at all the searchable fields)
http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0225.html

you could set up alerts to inform you of all new databases registered in a specific Zip Code, area code, by a specific company, etc.

Of course, all of this is based on the fact that the correct registration info is filed and hits the database correctly. In some cases, companies (like Google) register using a holding company.
garyp is offline   Reply With Quote