Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Google Browse By Name Keyword Navigation

Just out, new Browse By Name feature for the Google Toolbar, where entering ordinary words will navigate you to web sites, rather than web results. Haven't yet had a chance to look into it more. I have it enabled, but so far, it's not working for me.

Surprising it has taken Google so long to do this. Last major player to do something like this was RealNames: RealNames To Close After Losing Microsoft.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #2
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Seems like the old marketing idea AOL had with "use" AOL Keyword: xxxxx to find single search term or an already branded term by companies with the AOL site.

I dont think i will ever use it, but nice try google...bit dated though

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #3
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Sneak Preview

Here's a link to tomorrow's SearchDay, covering the new Browse By Name feature:

http://searchenginewatch.com/searchd...le.php/3381361
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004   #4
jansenmartijn
Martijn Jansen - Netherlands

jansenmartijn is on a distinguished road
What is exactly the trigger?

I've been playing a bit with the Browse by name keyword function, and I'm surprised to see that with a lot of queries where I would expect Google to serve the most relevant site, it shows the search results instead.

e.g.

On keyword eBay, Sony Ericsson and Dell Google serves the search results

where on keywords Coca Cola and Nokia it immediatly serves the site.

I tried to see if there were any differences in the way the corporate site is listed (e.g. including the link for the stock quote) but can't find the reason.

Does anyone have an idea what the exact trigger is? Would there be a way to influence the result (e.g. getting to the dell site on keyword dell instead of going to the search results for dell - I'm sure dell would appreciate this - it would probably save dell some advertising money )
jansenmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #5
jansenmartijn
Martijn Jansen - Netherlands

jansenmartijn is on a distinguished road
Any suggestions from the experts?

Any suggestions from the experts?
jansenmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #6
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
does a new toolbar need to be downloaded or a tool bar update to make this work? I'm at a loss to get anything but search results.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #7
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
It's working for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchDay
Unlike Real Names, Google has no plans to sell particular keywords, relying instead on its own algorithmic technology to determine the best matches between search terms and specific URLs.
Why not use the Adwords keyword database and make money for this on a PPC model? Win-win for everyone anyway, right?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote