Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2005   #1
zamolxes

zamolxes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Google Toolbar PR Meter Gray Across The Web

There is no toolbar PR on any site at the moment - all datacentres are showing PR0. It might just be a "glitch" or a "fix" but there is already speculation on other forums and blogs that it might be the end of toolbar PR.

I hope it is so!
Old 05-27-2005   #2
phpmaven
And now for something completely different...

phpmaven will become famous soon enough
Me Too

I'm seeing the same thing as well. It could just be a glitch, but wow, if they really have decided too nuke TBPR, that sure would shake things up
Old 05-27-2005   #3
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
same in Virginiia, since about 7pm.
Old 05-27-2005   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
>end of toolbar PR.

The more I tnink about it- what an interesting shift if this is true. My first thought was, well, who needs it. Then I was thinking that it did serve a purpose, at least in seeing if a page was in the index or not. And for the folks that were true believers, it will be like the lights went out.
Old 05-27-2005   #5
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

bobmutch has a spectacular aura aboutbobmutch has a spectacular aura about
Yes it is the same very where. Even I am now wondering if PR is gone :)
Old 05-28-2005   #6
Dominic

Dominic is on a distinguished road
If I had to place a bet, I'd say it will come back and that this is just a glitch.

If not, my money is on pagerank still being a significant factor in determining search results, just the token indicator for the general public gets turned off.
Old 05-28-2005   #7
Davilac
Sólo Davilac

Davilac is on a distinguished road
No PR across the ocean. No PR in Spain.

Imagine a PR hacked....

Death to PR!

Surely will return again soon....
Old 05-28-2005   #8
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
No PR here neither. Customers will start calling. i mean the PR addicts
Old 05-28-2005   #9
Davilac
Sólo Davilac

Davilac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
No PR here neither. Customers will start calling. i mean the PR addicts

Must wait still I see Google says nothing

Someone think they could be changing PR for something similar? TrustRank?
Old 05-28-2005   #10
kservik
SEO & SEM Norway

kservik is on a distinguished road
It is probably just a major update or something of that sort.
Old 05-28-2005   #11
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
It probably is a temporary glitch - but even if it was gone forever, I wouldn't personally care much. My dices gives more accurate results these day anyway
Old 05-28-2005   #12
krisval

krisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura about
My guess is a glitch, but I don't recall it this wide spread before. Usually only on 1 datacenter. I actually wish it was gone. It would make things very interesting.
Old 05-28-2005   #13
zamolxes

zamolxes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisval
My guess is a glitch, but I don't recall it this wide spread before. Usually only on 1 datacenter. I actually wish it was gone. It would make things very interesting.
Me too!

I think Google will definitely benefit if they stop showing the PR in the toolbar.
Old 05-28-2005   #14
noogle

noogle is on a distinguished road
PR is here to stay

PR itself is still alive because - as far as i can tell, the SERPs are exactly the same as before... it would take a major philosophical shift on google's part to abandon PR. you take PR away from google, what are you left with? yahoo
Old 05-28-2005   #15
JohnW

If you go to the Google directory through this link, you can see PR. At least for now. My guess is that the toolbar is just having a technical difficulty.

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=...le-Suche&meta=

Last edited by JohnW : 05-28-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-28-2005   #16
phpmaven
And now for something completely different...

phpmaven will become famous soon enough
Well I guess time will tell, but the fact that it has been 12 hours now without a fix is interesting. You would think that they would have something like this fixed in very short period of time.

Man, all the text link brokers must be shakin' in their boots!
Old 05-28-2005   #17
krisval

krisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Man, all the text link brokers must be shakin' in their boots!
Wouldn't that be something. Buying text links based on traffic not page rank. Text link brokers would have a hard time justifying $75/Month for a sites with an Alexa ranking of 500,000. Although, people would probably manipulate the Alexa rankings to get more money
Old 05-28-2005   #18
classifieds

classifieds is on a distinguished road
If they don't roll it back it will be a big day for alexa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisval
Wouldn't that be something. Buying text links based on traffic not page rank. Text link brokers would have a hard time justifying $75/Month for a sites with an Alexa ranking of 500,000. Although, people would probably manipulate the Alexa rankings to get more money
Old 05-28-2005   #19
krisval

Just posted a poll for anyone interested.
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=5958

Last edited by krisval : 05-28-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2005   #20
noogle

noogle is on a distinguished road
wild speculation

its probably a failure but there's a chance that it's not. assuming the latter, if i were google, why would i shut down PR on the toolbars without warning? perhaps this is a test of some sort... to see how turning off the PR spigot affects websites and meta search engines that have come to rely on PR, or perhaps to see how the lack of PR on the TB affects browsing patterns.

Last edited by noogle : 05-28-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread