Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Local Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2005   #1
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
MSN Virtual Earth

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050523-125208

More info please. Sounds like Gates is getting serious about search. I've run the Keyhole Pro and was duly impressed, but it fell short on rural areas. It seems to me that MSN might have substantial firepower to meld together in this arena. Their mapping software and good ol' terraserver, for instance.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Stop looking into my window!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #3
fthead9

fthead9 is on a distinguished road
Am I missing the boat?

I just don't see much value being added from these satellite services. If you want to help push local search provide up to date traffic reports along with the best/alternative directions to reach the destination.

Showing a sat image of the building doesn't make me any more likely to visit the store than displaying the address. I can see some value for restaurants or other venues where atmosphere is important but still photos can serve just as well as you aren't likely to get an accurate take on what the crowd/atmosphere is from an outside sat view. Where's the value?
fthead9 is offline   Reply With Quote