Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > Beta Test
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Advanced Link Popularity Analysis Tool - RustyBrick

I wanted a tool to analyze my links and the value of those links to a specific page. So I built one. I named it the Google Link Popularity Analysis Tool. This tool basically looks at all your links for a specific page (the links are determined based on the link command in Google) and analyzes them for anchor text, pagerank and more. Why Google? Well, they are the only one that offers a free API to "ethically" obtain the data. Of course that limits you to 1,000 queries per day (or 10,000 backlinks) but we are going to make a paid version that allows you to run a single report over multiple days.

The free reports show PageRank data, internal and external link counts, anchor text weights, class C IP reporting and much more.

Check out the Google Link Popularity Analysis Tool today, please leave your comments below on the tool. Thank you.

Oh, if you have a lot of backlinks, the analysis can take a while to run. Takes about one minute per 100 links because it needs to crawl the pages you are linked on and analyze them.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
looks like fun, now if you could make that downloadable.... ;-)

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Why downloadable?

We are all Web guys here.

There will be a login version added shortly, where you can store reports, and graph them over time. Very cool stuff will be added based on this thread.
Old 07-12-2004   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Cool little widget.... what is C Class? other sites you own?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #5
rustybrick

Other sites that are on the same IP block (or server), i.e. 192.168.1.x
Old 07-13-2004   #6
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
when i tried it the #s were all out of wack

for example, one run gave me these #s

Your PR MEAN: 8.0000
Your PR MIN: 8
Your PR MAX: 8
Your PR MEDIAN: 8.00
Your PR STDDEV: 0.0000
Your PR MODE: 5

In # / Out #
186000000 / 0

Link Anchor Text
Phrase #

it still needs a bit of work

also if you are going to check c block IP addresses you might as well give the # of unique c block IP addresses instead of just saying that these ones are on your c block. I am not sure if it does because my stuff was kinda messed up.

once you get it all up and dandy and full featured with login and stuff I will link to it as it sounds like it has some good potential.
Old 07-13-2004   #7
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
when i tried it the #s were all out of wack
I test this is dozens of domain names, your the only one who reported numbers being wrong. Please tell me the url you are using so I can figure it out.

Quote:
for example, one run gave me these #s

Your PR MEAN: 8.0000
Your PR MIN: 8
Your PR MAX: 8
Your PR MEDIAN: 8.00
Your PR STDDEV: 0.0000
Your PR MODE: 5
These numbers are the averages of the pagerank values of the pages linking to you. Again, they seem to be wrong, please send me the URL.

Quote:
also if you are going to check c block IP addresses you might as well give the # of unique c block IP addresses instead of just saying that these ones are on your c block. I am not sure if it does because my stuff was kinda messed up.
We do give this number on the summary screen.

Quote:
once you get it all up and dandy and full featured with login and stuff I will link to it as it sounds like it has some good potential.
Something seems weird and I appreciate you helping me test this. Please post or PM me the URL you tested.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004   #8
VIZ

VIZ is on a distinguished road
Nice tool Rustybrick - looks like you have a viable alternative to OptiLink.
VIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #9
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
It does,

the only thing that worried me (and inspired me to write my first comment) is the issue of security.

Rusty seems like a good bloke, but I've never met him. He's an SEO! LoL....... do I want my urls being given over to someone that makes a living from the www?

It's an issue that would stop me using/renting this service unless properly, and satisfactorily addressed.

Plans to document your privacy policy for this tool rusty?

Cheers...

Nick
Old 07-13-2004   #10
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
It does,

the only thing that worried me (and inspired me to write my first comment) is the issue of security.

Rusty seems like a good bloke, but I've never met him. He's an SEO! LoL....... do I want my urls being given over to someone that makes a living from the www?

It's an issue that would stop me using/renting this service unless properly, and satisfactorily addressed.

Plans to document your privacy policy for this tool rusty?

Cheers...

Nick
First thing is, I am not an SEO. I just like the industry. I do not really offer SEO services. I build Web sites from scratch that are search engine friendly. I will rarely ever take on a new project that is just for the purposes of SEO.

We have a privacy policy that was not updated since who knows when at http://www.rustybrick.com/company_policies.php#privacy

I'll review it an have my lawyers update it.

I am an honest guy, but I understand your concerns.
Old 07-13-2004   #11
rustybrick

Actually, if you have specific items you want to be included in this tools privacy policy, please let me know and I will have them added.
Old 07-13-2004   #12
Nick W

>>I build Web sites from scratch that are search engine friendly

Well, that makes 2 of us ;-)

I'd sooner see it downloadable Rusty, then I know what data it is sending out to whom. It looks like a fine alternative to Optilink, but the fact that you run that app yourself (and can monitor what it's doing) would sway me in that direction.

You cant please everybody though mate, so the best of luck with it...

Nick
Old 07-13-2004   #13
rustybrick

Right now I have no plans to make this tool downloadable.

Those who trust me and my privacy policy can use it.
Old 07-13-2004   #14
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Bravisimo!!!

Great tool Barry! I made my first test and looks great. I will follow up with some recommendations soon.

The first thing that crosses my mind is that I would like to know more about my true Link Popularity (for example, in my case it was "81 of those backlinks are external"). It would be ideal if there was a way to divide the analysis to: View All; Internal; External. Where you can then go deep into understanding what authorities link to you under what anchor text in a summary format. Maybe this is something you can add to the "Domain Summary" section with a couple more colums that sumarizes consistency in anchor text (if multiple links from same domain) and website general keyword theme measured.

I've got to get my thoughts better organized and look forward to share them with you.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #15
rustybrick

Thansk for the useful feedback.

The sorting and filtering options will be in the login version.

Here is my list of login (paid) features:

- report filtering by any metric
- report sorting by any column
- email, print, pdf, export reports
- stall reports and run the next day (if you have over 10k links, your Google API will be used up, so its a necessity in some cases to stall reports and run them the next day)
- schedule reports to run automatically (weekly, monthly, after a backlink update)
- graph reports over time to see progress
- more detailed metrics
- computer based recommendations (that will be fun)

Let's add to this list.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004   #16
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
As Nick points out, an app pretty much has to be on the desktop or server and verified not to phone home before it can be trusted on one's own site(s). They are useful for checking other people's sites though, Nick.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #17
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I tried it again and it totally worked. Other than the time delay (which is necissary because of Google API stuff & needing to crawl the pages) I think it works pretty darn good.
Old 07-14-2004   #18
rustybrick

Ok made some updates to the free version the list can be found here or below. Also added a FAQs section. Now time to get to work on the paid version.

Version 0.6b

Added support to analyze anchor text in JavaScripts
Added access code requirement to improve performance and prevent unauthorized scripts
Fixed bug in IE where progress pop up did not close
Fixed bug where some anchor text was not being displayed
Fixed bug where 1 result found shows as 0 results found
Old 07-15-2004   #19
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
I just found your tool Barry and was going to post the same concerns about data security that Nick mentioned already. You should consider putting a link to your privacy policy prominently on the tool page & FAQ page. I didn't see any links to it at all.

Additionally your privacy policy does not address the handling of data from non-customers. AFAICT, if I use your free tool, you are free to use the results of any analysis I conduct for any purpose you wish.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #20
rustybrick

Bernard, thanks for the privacy policy feedback. I will see what I can add to cover that.

any other points in regards to the privacy issues?