Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Paid Inclusion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2005   #1
Everyman

Everyman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the rough
Public Site Match For Non-Profits - what happened to it?

Remember that "Public Site Match" program? Here's a press release: http://docs.yahoo.com/docs/pr/release1144.html

I was told a year ago by someone at Yahoo that one of my sites, called NameBase, qualified for this program, but there was no information available on how to proceed at that time.

Then I forgot about it because Yahoo was doing a fairly good job of indexing that site without it. But a few months ago this site was 80 percent dropped by Yahoo, and I figured I'd better check it out again. I cannot find any information on it that isn't nearly a year old.

My theory now is that it was all hype, to deflect the criticism over paid inclusion.

Anyone have any information on this?
Everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #2
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Hey there,

Site Match products are still offered by Yahoo! Search Marketing under the new name, "Search Submit."

You should find all the info here you need here: http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/index.php

If you have any additional info feel free to send me PM.

YahooSarah (formerly known as OvertureRep)

Last edited by YahooSarah : 05-16-2005 at 05:01 PM.
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #3
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Can somebody make sure everyman has no matches, I think Y!Sarah just poured some oil on the water.

>Anyone have any information on this?

Add me to the interested list.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFFC
I think Y!Sarah just poured some oil on the water.
yes. but but that oil is a reasonably low cost per click.
Old 05-17-2005   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
That page doesn't actually list "Public Site Match" info that Everyman is asking about. A better description of this program is "free site match for non-profits." I went looking for this about three or four weeks ago when the new Yahoo Search Marketing site went up myself -- even asked Yahoo for a link, but never heard back about how to point people who want to get in through that program. If you can dig out a URL for that non-profit program, YahooSarah, it would be much appreciated.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #6
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
*bump*

Any news on this issue? Seems that Daniel has a point on this, YahooSarah. Any chance you can give us an update??
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #7
YahooSarah

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry for the confusion. This info is not currently on our new Yahoo! Search Marketing site, however, feel free to send email to psm@yahoo-inc.com for more info on Public Site Match.

Hope this helps.

YahooSarah
Old 05-23-2005   #8
Everyman

Everyman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the rough
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

psm@yahoo-inc.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<psm@yahoo-inc.com>:
host fallback.mail.atl.earthlink.net [207.69.200.241]:
550 5.7.1 <psm@yahoo-inc.com>... Relaying denied

I also sent an email to David Mandelbrot, vice president of search
content at Yahoo, at the email address he used on 2004-03-26 when
he informed me that NameBase qualified for Public Site Match.
That one bounced too:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

publicsitematch@yahoo.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mx3.mail.yahoo.com [64.156.215.18]: 554 delivery error:
dd Sorry your message to publicsitematch@yahoo.com cannot be delivered.
This account has been disabled or discontinued
[#102]. - mta336.mail.scd.yahoo.com

Last edited by Everyman : 05-23-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2005   #9
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
this thread is amazing. be sure to rate the thread
Old 05-24-2005   #10
YahooSarah

I just tested it again and that email worked for me. I suggest trying again or send me a note with your email address and I can forward it to the appropriate person.

YahooSarah
Old 05-30-2005   #11
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
So I got a reply and the relevant bit is:
Quote:
Public Site Match is available to US-based 503(c) nonprofits in .org domains
as well as sites in .edu or .gov domains.
So, I am assumming that Australian non-profits are excluded??? Is that correct?

If so, my "Internet is a global media" rant is ready to rumble
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #12
Everyman

Still bounced for me, so I asked YahooSarah to forward my email for me a week ago. Haven't heard any acknowledgement yet.

The joke is on Yahoo and Microsoft. Deep Throat has been revealed as W. Mark Felt, and the NameBase listing for him is number one in Google if you do a W Mark Felt without the quotes, or number three if you just use Mark Felt without the quotes.

Yahoo and Microsoft don't have my main NameBase listing for him.

The irony is that Google hasn't been that keen on NameBase in recent months, which means that I just got lucky on this one.

By the way, www.namebase.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.

Later: I take it back, the main listing for w. mark felt from NameBase is in both Yahoo and MSN. However, you must use quotation marks or it is nowhere to be found. Put in w mark felt in Yahoo or MSN without the quotation marks, and you can see that the word proximity thing gets almost no weight at all. The lesson is that in Yahoo and MSN, proximity is almost nonexistent without the quotation marks.

On name searches, unless the name is quite unusual, proximity scoring is very important. For example, the middle initial may or may not be in either the searcher's terms or on the page that the searcher would like to find. A good algorithm takes account of this, and places the proper importance on word proximity. Apparently Yahoo and MSN have their own ideas about good algorithms, because I get very few referrals from them compared to Google.

Last edited by Everyman : 05-31-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2005   #13
seobook
I'm blogging this

>A good algorithm takes account of this, and places the proper importance on word proximity. Apparently Yahoo and MSN have their own ideas about good algorithms, because I get very few referrals from them compared to Google.

so what sends me lots of traffic equates to defining what a good algorithm is?