Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2005   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Google Content Starting Opt Out

As of Tuesday 5/17 any advertiser will be able to pick which places it wants to run in content... actually the way it works is you get to pick where you don't want to run... dropping advertisers as you want.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Does this mean that Google are going to allow an opt-out from Autolink for the webmasters who create content?
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #3
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
This has been available for a couple of weeks now, also known as the Negative Site Feature (it was in beta before that, and I was one of the lucky beta testers of it ) . There is a limit of only 25 sites you can block per campaign. Do they plan on upping that on the 17th?
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
yer and which corp muppet is going to say hey boss we get 20% traffic from this site which looks like **** .. but it converts ok ?

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #5
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if that 20% traffic converts with a ROI of 5% and the remaining 80% of traffic converts with a ROI of 20%, and all the traffic costs the same, where would you want to spend your limited budget?

It's hypothetical, but drives home the point that people need to measure their conversions. This new offering from Google should definitely help advertisers improve results for their efforts.

I see it as a good development.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard
Well, if that 20% traffic converts with a ROI of 5% and the remaining 80% of traffic converts with a ROI of 20%, and all the traffic costs the same, where would you want to spend your limited budget?

It's hypothetical, but drives home the point that people need to measure their conversions. This new offering from Google should definitely help advertisers improve results for their efforts.

I see it as a good development.
Unfortunately I do not see this as converting as well as keywords...
Old 05-13-2005   #7
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

who said anything about keywords? should I have added "% of CTA traffic"?
Old 05-17-2005   #8
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
I don't see the opt-in/out option in my account? is actually available to all advertisers today?
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #9
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Old 05-17-2005   #10
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
Ahhhh, I see...thanks

It would be nice if they would first populate a list of sites where your ads are likely to appear. Agree/Disagree?
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #11
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard
Nice screen grab B!!!!!
Very helpful.
Old 05-17-2005   #12
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
Nice screen grab B!!!!!
Agreed!

I especially like the arrow and the 'Here' !

Classic.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #13
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
How should I best utilize this?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Of the thousands of sites my ads run on, how can I *easily* find and review them?
And once I do, how can I really determine which one is performing and which is not? Go by trial and error? Change one per day and see the results the next? In this case I'm sure I'll figure out the premium producers by the time the Red Sox win the series again.

I know I can clean out most of the obviously inappropriate websites, but surely there will be a large group of "on the edge" sites that may or may not be producing quality leads for us.

Any help on how you all are going about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #14
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Of the thousands of sites my ads run on, how can I *easily* find and review them?
And once I do, how can I really determine which one is performing and which is not? Go by trial and error? Change one per day and see the results the next? In this case I'm sure I'll figure out the premium producers by the time the Red Sox win the series again.

I know I can clean out most of the obviously inappropriate websites, but surely there will be a large group of "on the edge" sites that may or may not be producing quality leads for us.

Any help on how you all are going about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
you need to have solid tracking program that tells you what is converting beyond the keyword to the actual referring IP or domain.
Old 05-19-2005   #15
pompeysie

pompeysie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
you need to have solid tracking program that tells you what is converting beyond the keyword to the actual referring IP or domain.
can you reccomend one. I use Clicktracks currently which Is great but I have no idea how I would track conversions from google content shared sites. Do these sites all have a generic URL identifier that will tell me that they are Google content network referred sites? I could then easily track all of these sites through to conversion points in sites.

Simon

pompeysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #16
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeysie
can you reccomend one. I use Clicktracks currently which Is great but I have no idea how I would track conversions from google content shared sites. Do these sites all have a generic URL identifier that will tell me that they are Google content network referred sites? I could then easily track all of these sites through to conversion points in sites.

Simon

For the sake of this you could use Google's tools and then know... but they do give you the chance to see what publishers provide you the info.
Old 05-20-2005   #17
pompeysie

Quote:
For the sake of this you could use Google's tools and then know... but they do give you the chance to see what publishers provide you the info.
Sorry I didnt understand that reply at all!
Old 05-20-2005   #18
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeysie
Sorry I didnt understand that reply at all!
Okay if you use Google tracking they break out the content partners I have been told... if not websidestory grabs them as the referring domain.
Old 05-20-2005   #19
pompeysie

Quote:
Okay if you use Google tracking they break out the content partners I have been told... if not websidestory grabs them as the referring domain.
I can't see anyway of pulling that info from Google itself. I can get lists of referring domains from Clicktracks but can;t find anyway of nailing them to Google content partners.
Old 06-01-2005   #20
ApogeeWebLLC
dork

ApogeeWebLLC is on a distinguished road
If you're using an Apache web server, try my free cgi script:

http://www.apogee-web-consulting.com...ntent_ads.html

It scans your web server log, pulls out all the googlesyndication.com referrer data and links to the actual url where the ads are (or were) running. If you're not on Apache, examine your raw web server logs and look for referrer urls that look like pagead2.googlesyndication.com and look for the url= query string in the big, ugly referrer url.

HTH

-Rich
ApogeeWebLLC is offline   Reply With Quote