Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2005   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Visualizing Search Engine Overlap

Dogpile has launched a new enhancement to its a meta search engine that makes it easy to open up and compare results from Yahoo, Google and Ask Jeeves in side-by-side windows. Results that are unique to an engine are highlighted. Dogpile has also launched a cool new tool that graphs search engine overlap among the majors for a specific query, as well.

More about both features in today's SearchDay article, Dogpile Enhances Meta Search, Offers Comparison Tools.

Comments welcome!
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #2
dyn4mik3
Michael Nguyen

dyn4mik3 is on a distinguished road
It's interesting to see how different Ask's results are. Many times the top ten from Google and Yahoo don't even come up in Ask.
dyn4mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #3
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn4mik3
It's interesting to see how different Ask's results are. Many times the top ten from Google and Yahoo don't even come up in Ask.
That is probably because Ask/Teoma's index is so outdated. I can't even remember the last time it was updated. I know that we have SEO work that was done 5-6 months ago, and Ask is still showing the old title tags and content from those pages that were modified.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #4
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
The other thing I noticed when doing just one test was that if a listing comes up in the sponsored results then Dogpile will not re-list the web result in the top 10 even though that same site ranks in the top 10 on the natural listings from the engines it gets the data from. Perhaps, this needs a lot more testing on multiple keywords to completely verify.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #5
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
The other thing I noticed when doing just one test was that if a listing comes up in the sponsored results then Dogpile will not re-list the web result in the top 10 even though that same site ranks in the top 10 on the natural listings from the engines it gets the data from.
Nacho - I noticed the same thing. I just looked at some searches I'm familiar with, and, in my opinion, "new" or not-so-new, Dogpile is pretty much at the bottom of the litter box.

Once upon a time, way, way back, it was an excellent meta-search engine.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #6
Everyman

Everyman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the rough
An search that used to be on Yahoo Watch is now on Scroogle. It compares the top 100 results from Yahoo with the top 100 from Google (no ads, and the paid inclusion -- Site Match, Index Connect, Site Match Xchange -- links in Yahoo are marked with a big fat green dollar sign).

Whatever happened to that free nonprofit, public trusted feed program that Yahoo promised us over a year ago? I should get on their case about that.

Go to www.scroogle.org/scraper7.html and click on "Yahoogle" before you hit "Search." At the end of the 100 Yahoo results but before the extra Google results, there is a Divergence number. There is usually between 70 and 80 percent divergence between Yahoo and Google. That means the overlap is about 20 to 30 percent.

Dogpile only checked the first page of results, which seems rather limited to me. When you say that Dogpile included paid listings, are you referring to the sponsored links (I call them "ads") on the top (and bottom), or are you referring to Site Match? I wouldn't expect Dogpile to be clever enough to catch the latter, nor would it be particularly essential, since they run at only a few percent of the total links. But if they included the sponsored links then the whole experiment should be done over.

Even so, Dogpile's point is well-taken. There is tremendous divergence between the engines, all of which claim to rank on relevance.
Everyman is offline   Reply With Quote