Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005   #1
RyanM

RyanM is on a distinguished road
Question Is there any SE benefit to using a favicon.ico file?

A co-worker and I were debating the usefulness of this tag in HTML:
Quote:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon.ico">
I knew what it did, but neither of us had used them before. In case some of you didn't know... on this site, is the favicon and it shows up next to the URL (or other locations based on your browser).

Is there any benefit to SEO by using this tag in HTML pages?

Last edited by RyanM : 05-06-2005 at 04:18 PM.
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
This is possibly my shortest answer ever: NO
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #3
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Mikkel is right - there is no direct SE benifit to the use of the favicon tag.

However, there is a minor positive affect in two areas if you have one - first, it helps shortcuts to your site saved to a user's computer stand out better (good marketing) and if you have one you no longer get errors in your logs, and having clean, easy to use logs is a good thing.

Both of these are very minor and neither affect SE's. But I recommend spending 10 minutes making one and putting it in, assuming you basic site design is already done (ie: it should be on your "to do" list, but at the bottom).

Ian
Old 05-07-2005   #4
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
No direct search engine benefit, but a benefit to those who use Firefox to view your site as the icon shows up in the tab for your pages and it makes it easier to know which tab is which site.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #5
RyanM

RyanM is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure we get one on our site soon. I like seeing the icon in tabbed browsing on Firefox and in bookmarks as well.
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #6
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
I'd say it's an indirect benefit - favicon = logo = branding = memorable = visitors remember you = they come back = links

It's about as indirect as good content when you think about it - something we preach day in and day out. I love good favicons, and I'm probably not alone.
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #7
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
Aren't there some sites or other resources that show you how to create your own favicon?

I love these because they really are soooo useful & memorable. Firefox tabs show the favicons, bookmarks show the favicons...I thought IE also showed favicons... at least in the past? For me it's cool to see and I can quickly tell which site I'm clicking on.

Does anyone know if these favicons are also the ones that show up on feed readers?
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #8
ligcar

ligcar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation diy 404

http://www.plinko.net/404/custom.asp
ligcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #9
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
The biggest advantage of a favicon is that it takes some of the 'noise' out of your 404 analysis. By having a favicon - you don't get a whole pile of 404 errors which other wise occur. A favicon can also help in ascertaining the entry page for a firefox session.

Same as a robots.txt exclusion file - by actually having a robots.txt - even if it doesn't actually exclude any spiders - you minimise the 404's generated by failed requests if you don't have one.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #10
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
I'd say it's an indirect benefit - favicon = logo = branding = memorable = visitors remember you = they come back = links

It's about as indirect as good content when you think about it - something we preach day in and day out. I love good favicons, and I'm probably not alone.
Absolutely - SEO that focuses entirely on robots and not on humans is, imo, completely missing the point of SEO in the first place as a marketing device.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote