Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Day Should Be Search Marketing Day?
Second Monday In June 2 8.00%
Second Friday In June 3 12.00%
Third Monday In June 0 0%
Third Friday In June 1 4.00%
Fourth Monday In June 1 4.00%
Fourth Friday In June 2 8.00%
Third Monday In July 3 12.00%
Third Friday In July 5 20.00%
Fourth Monday In July 0 0%
Fourth Friday In July 2 8.00%
Sorry, I Don't Like Any Of These Choices! 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Vote On Day For Search Marketing Day!

I'm currently in Toronto for our Search Engine Strategies show here and was at dinner with a number of other marketers last night. Everyone's tired. As usual, search continues to advance at a frantic pace. What we'd all like is a day off -- a truce, a period of no announcements, changes or major news. A holiday.

Talking more, everyone decided that we're over due to have Search Marketing Day. The idea behind it is that on that day, search marketers have some time off. Spend it with your family, friends, pets -- whatever, just have time off to celebrate being involved in a great industry.

Everyone was happy with the suggestion by Laura Thieme that June 21 should be Search Marketing Day. She likes it because it is her birthday -- but it's also often the date of the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. What better time to take a day off than the longest day?

The only problem is that this year, WebmasterWorld has a big event that begins that day. So declaring a day off doesn't work well for that same day.
So what do you think? I like July 15 as a middle of the year type of date. But maybe every first Monday of June should be the day? Third Wednesday of August.

Please discuss below when you think the date for Search Marketing Day should be set, plus suggestions on how it should be celebrated beyond taking time off.

I can tell you that whenever it's set, we'll be pushing for Google and any other search engine that does special logos for holidays to do one for the inaugural Search Marketing Day.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #2
AndyBeal
Fortune Interactive

AndyBeal is on a distinguished road
So who will print the cards, what color will we turn the beer and do we exchange gifts?
AndyBeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #3
killi

killi is on a distinguished road
Excellent idea! I think that the day should be on 7th of any month because that number is a cabala number.
Well... that΄s my opinion.
See You!
killi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #4
Bizresearch
Laura Thieme

Bizresearch is on a distinguished road
Search Marketing Day

Well, I thought that summer solstice, which by my sources, occurs on June 21st, would be perfect, as it is the longest day of the year, first day of summer, my birthday... which means I would always get that day off. Self-serving, I know. However, Webmasterworld occurs on the same day, so that's scratched, regardless of when summer solstice occurs. I owe Danny $10 if he proves it occurs on other days besides the 21st. In UCT, universal time, it has occurred on the 21st for 25 years. So, regarding Search Marketing Day, we need a date, a flag, we should not give presents, we should receive presents from vendors such as those who stand to benefit from our support throughout the year, no email reading, no bidding, no reading blogs, a break from our computers, time spent with families and friends, a technology block day - sounds great. I look forward to it. I recommend late June, since mid-July is hot for some of north of the Equator.
Bizresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #5
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I like September 24 in honor of its founding father of Search Marketing.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #6
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Everyday should be Search Marketing Day.

Is Christmas also excluded?

Rather than the Summer equinox as a day off, perhaps the Spring equinox may perhaps be more useful? A day focussed on renewal and the regeneration and life in the year ahead?
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #7
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
That is a very good idea!

I booked the domain: searchmarketingday.com and searchmarketingday.org - off course, it will be used to promote this event only
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #8
Amanda W

Amanda W is on a distinguished road
Why Not the Shortest Day of the Year

Laura suggested June 21, and from the discussion this does not look like a date for this august celebration. How about the Winter equinox, so we can all get back to work faster -- a shorter vs. longer holiday. More time to sleep and celebrate. It is the festive season already so why not add on.
Amanda W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #9
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
I just don't get it...

If you love search marketing and all that it involves, why would you need a day off? I sure don't, and in fact, dislike any day that doesn't have something to do with it.

To me, this special day would be like a day of punishment!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #10
Bizresearch
Laura Thieme

Smile Time off for Good Behavior

I just returned from a whirlwind "day off" involving business golf for women. I drove to Hershey PA Sunday afternoon, attended a reception, and then participated in a hurried day referencing golf, business tactics, and women in business. The guest speaker was Mary Lou Quinlan, who has written Time Off For Good Behavior. She used to run an advertising company in New York and spoke of crazy schedules beginning at 5 a.m. in the morning and ending the day at 10:30 at night. She left several years ago and took five weeks off. She now runs her own company that deals with female consumer behavior. Her book references how women run these amazing schedules for years and years, mothers or not. I think that search marketers have run amazing schedules for the past 8 years, regardless of being a woman or not. As Danny said at the start of this session, some of us might admit to being just a little bit tired having run at this amazing pace for eight or more years. Everyone needs a break at some point. As I jokingly said in Toronto, perhaps we need SMA - Search Marketers Anonymous - as well. For those who believe they are unable to escape for just one day, or that they are undesiring of a day off. I do believe we do need an escape every once in a while and all of those around us benefit as a result. As Mary Lou put it, it helps put things in better perspective when we escape from something for a day or two. We come back with a clear mind and learn to focus on the bigger picture. Taking time off is really hard for me as well. I suffer also. I'm on a day off, and I swore I wouldn't take my laptop. I did take it, and found that if I hadn't I would have missed out on a pretty big opportunity with a major lead. However, if I had a person in place to handle this opportunity, I wouldn't have had to worry about it. Thus the reason I encourage our search marketers to form a group of people who want to learn how to run better businesses, and keep a healthy balanced lifestyle. Perhaps we'll have some who take SMD off and others who do not. That's true of Christmas and any other holiday. Not everyone celebrates Christmas right? So not everyone needs to celebrate SMD. I on the other hand am dedicated to taking a business day off from SM in the next month or so, and no cell phones or emails will be allowed.

And for those of you who are looking for me on this day, and would like an instant answer via email or phone, I can only recommend you too take the day off or catch up on something fun you haven't done in a while.

Last edited by Bizresearch : 05-17-2005 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-18-2005   #11
Scottie
In search of stuff...

Scottie has a spectacular aura aboutScottie has a spectacular aura about
I don't get it!

Well, maybe I work differently from other people...

I do search marketing and other related web work so that I can BE with my family. And my clients give me a gift at the end of every project... a paycheck for the work that I do (that is really just fun).

So, I don't need to be recognized or take a day off- I don't find it overly stressful or that it alienates my family and friends. Just the opposite- I have more freedom than I've ever had before in my life and I get to pick and choose the projects that interest me. I gave up that pushing-everything-nonstop grind when I left my last office job.

And I catch up with my online friends daily... and my offline friends whenever I feel like it cause I'm not tied to a 9-6 job. And I take off from 3-9 every day to do stuff with the kids.

And I'm up at 12:30 AM reading posts... not because I have to, but because it's how I unwind. It's fun!

A day to take a break from the best job I've ever had... it's an interesting idea but I'll be reading my emails and posts cause no one's making me do it; I just like it.

Do we need an "official day" as an excuse to take off personal time? It's not the industry that pushes us... it's an internal thing.

Honestly, I'd be more embarrassed telling a client "I can't meet with you that day cause it's SEM Day" than just taking a day and saying, "I'm booked that day, what other day works for you?"

Last edited by Scottie : 05-18-2005 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #12
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
So time for a little update. First, I was out at Google and Yahoo last week, and people at both suggested interest in the holiday. Yahoo was especially excited about doing something for it, though we didn't get into details. What would you want either of them to do? Logos?

Second, I've added a poll to the thread, suggesting some dates in June and July. I skipped the weeks in July when there is Ad:Tech happening and near the July 1/4 US and Canadian national holidays. Please vote for what you think would be best among the dates.

Finally, even if you decide not to take the day off, I still think it's great if we have a day where everyone can recognize search marketing day, which in turn recognizes search marketing. Search marketers have done an amazing job for so many people, not to mention having helped revitalize the online ad industry. If not some time off, a day for a pat on the back is still nice, in my books.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #13
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
you just really need an excuse for a three day weekend, don't you danny??
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #14
Scottie
In search of stuff...

Scottie has a spectacular aura aboutScottie has a spectacular aura about
I'll Vote for That!

I'm all in favor of Give-Danny-a-3-Day-Weekend Day!

Sounds like a good cause.

I'll send some boiled peanuts and you can celebrate in style.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #15
Bizresearch
Laura Thieme

Gifts

I was hoping for gifts from our vendors.... Ha ha. Yes, Search Marketing has indeed done much for my life as it has for those who work for us. It's created jobs, lifestyles which many envy, and much more. That said, I'm still feeling the need for a day off. I do remember those days of loving to read posts at 12:30 a.m. but that was about five years ago, before I ran a company of employees, vendors, speaking engagements. So, I fold. But in the spirit of Danny's email - yes, it's a day of giving thanks to this once called cottage industry now worth billions of dollars.
Old 05-18-2005   #16
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Better not rain...

I Like Fourth Monday in June, because here in the US that will give us two days off within a couple weeks...mmmm...four day weeks

This is certainly a good idea and if we can get Google to do a special logo that day it could increase awareness of the Search Marketing Industry. SEMPO should probably jump on this too...
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #17
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I like the idea - if not for the day off, then as an ideal opportunity to promote the industry.

Ian
Old 05-20-2005   #18
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
"PIE" Day or "PI" Day

I think it should be a specific day... with the same number every year.

Like PI Day ...March 14th, at 1:59, you eat pie. (PI= 3.14159)
we could eat pie, sing happy birthday to Albert Einstein, and then search the internet whilst we digest our sweets.

I like PIE...........
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #19
DanThies
Keyword Research Super Freak

DanThies is a name known to allDanThies is a name known to allDanThies is a name known to allDanThies is a name known to allDanThies is a name known to allDanThies is a name known to all
Oh, boy, I'll gather up the kids and we'll go from house to house singing SEM Day carols. That'll please the neighbors.
DanThies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #20
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Seems like we still can't find the day for it. Acording to the survery, they are all still scattered around.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote