Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2005   #1
fatbill

fatbill is on a distinguished road
ca.yahoo.com vs yahoo.com

Why is there such a disperity in the search results between yahoo! and their canadian version?

When I look at certain terms I track, the results are Vastly different....

Is one and indicator of the direction that their overall search results are heading?
fatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #2
Wail
Another member

Wail will become famous soon enoughWail will become famous soon enough
Yahoo does look at your geographical placement (their latest patent states this) and as searching behaviour can differ in different countries (Canadian spelling is different from American, for example) YST will serve up different results.

Even if you're not in Canada by requesting results through ca.yahoo.com you are signalling an interest in a Canadian bias in the results.

It's the same here in the UK; different results from uk.search.yahoo.com than search.yahoo.com
Wail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #3
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
One thing to note about this is that local sites get a "boost" in the local search engine. They do not get "demoted" in the .com version.

The net result is that if you are a local (ie Canadian) site and Yahoo knows it, then only good things happen. Therefore if you are a Canadian site or sell primarily to Canadians, it's in your best interests to be considered Canadian.

How would you do this?

Have a domain with a .ca (this is the clearest way)

or

Have a website that is linked to by a lot of local (ie Canadian) sites.

For Google, having a Canadian IP address is important if you don't have a .ca.

This gets you normal rankings on most search engines, and a rankings boost in the ca.yahoo.com one.

Naturally, the same applies to .co.uk for the UK Yahoo and Google, etc

Ian

PS - If you are optimizing a site, I would rank check the search.yahoo.com version - that way you are NOT getting the rankings boost and are looking at your "real" ranking.

On the other hand, for success checking (ie a client report), if you are a local site or have country specific clients, you should rank check on the local versions of the search engines as well as the international versions, since locals tend to use the local versions (more than you may think!) and it's the rank that your target market sees that is the important metric.

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 04-26-2005 at 11:20 AM.
mcanerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #4
will

will is on a distinguished road
It looks like there is more going on than just a boost being given to local search results when searching on the different yahoo sites.

It seems to me that yahoo.com is using a different index than others, such as yahoo.ca, yahoo.co.jp, etc. On the april 1 update my site droped from #3 to 2nd page on yahoo.com, but is still #3 on the other yahoos. My site/business is located in San Diego, CA, so you would think I rank better on Yahoo.com, than on yahoo.ca.

I think the non yahoo.com yahoos have not switched over to the new index, and this is why there is such a big difference between them. The local boost may be a factor, but the main reason is the differnece in the index they are using. So if you are doing well on Yahoo.ca, or Yahoo.co.jp, and poorly on www.yahoo.com, you can probably expect the other yahoos to start using the new index at some point and you will see simmiliar results.

I beleive the reason my site has seen such a big drop in the serps is because of this new index. searching for my site:mysite.com on yahoo.ca returns www.mysite.com as the first result. Doing the same search on yahoo.com returns www.www.mysite.com as the first result. (the www.www. is not a typo, thats what is returned). I think this shows that they are using different indexes. Looking a little further, I found a couple sites that were linking to my site usint the www.www.mysite.com. (my host responds to www.www.mysite.com the same as www.mysite.com). I beleive that yahoo, thinks its finding duplicate pages, and i'm being penalized. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause the big drop. I've added 301 redirects to correct it, hope that fixes things with yahoo.

Anyway, I guess the point is that Yahoo.com is using a different index, maybe even different algo, thats why the serps are different.
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #5
Wail
Another member

Wail will become famous soon enoughWail will become famous soon enough
Hi Will, welcome to the forums.

I see what you mean about your situation. I'm still struggling to convince myself that Yahoo maintain two full whole indexes. Why would they? It may be a cache situation where updates slowly roll out to data clusters and that .ca and .jp are taking their results from a different one than .com.
Wail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #6
fatbill

fatbill is on a distinguished road
I am seeing much the same things that Will has... my sites are also not Canadian in origin..... Results in the ca.yahoo version are ranking much better.

I am noticing also that the ca.yahoo results are a lot less spammy also...
fatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #7
will

will is on a distinguished road
Wail,

I think you can convince yourself there are at least 2 indexes by using the site: search, you will see that yahoo.com and the others have different pages indexed. I suspect they are testing out the new index on yahoo.com, and if they like the results, they will roll it out to the other Yahoos at some point.

I'm hoping don't like it and they revert back to their old index, this new one is killing me.

It seems to me putting up a few bad badlinks to someones site (assuming there host responds, like mine), can really screw them in yahoo. like adding an extra www, or maybe ww1. Getting off topic, but I am just realizing my host will respond to XXX.mysite.com where XXX can be anything, and there can be any number of X's. Not sure what the deal is there, but its not helping me in Yahoo.

Will
will is offline   Reply With Quote