Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Multilingual Search Markets & Non-US Engines
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004   #1
josethegeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
josethegeek is on a distinguished road
Top sites for latin america

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction, where I could find the top sites for latin america. I tried Alexa, but when I try to find the top sites for a specific country(Spain and Mexico) it shows me sites that aren't even in the top site for spanish, when the top sites in spanish are actually based in spain. When I got to the Regional section of Alexa and go under Mexico I know that EsMas.com and Todito.com should be showing up in the top sites section but they don't.

Maybe this type of question doesn't belong here, if it doesn't my mistake.

Thank You,
Jose
josethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #2
Nacho
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,382
Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Wink Here is a tip

Another way you can find "top quality" sites is by going through the the Google Directories, since they will rank them sorted by PageRank. It depends what perspective you are looking from:

Sites about Mexico from a US standpoint:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...merica/Mexico/

Spanish sites from a Mexico standpoint:
http://www.google.com.mx/dirhp?hl=es&tab=wd&q=

Spanish sites from a Spain standpoint:
http://www.google.es/dirhp?hl=es&tab=wd&q=

I hope this helps, my 2 cents

Saludos!
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #3
josethegeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
josethegeek is on a distinguished road
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Another way you can find "top quality" sites is by going through the the Google Directories, since they will rank them sorted by PageRank. It depends what perspective you are looking from:

Sites about Mexico from a US standpoint:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...merica/Mexico/

Spanish sites from a Mexico standpoint:
http://www.google.com.mx/dirhp?hl=es&tab=wd&q=

Spanish sites from a Spain standpoint:
http://www.google.es/dirhp?hl=es&tab=wd&q=

I hope this helps, my 2 cents

Saludos!

Nacho,
Thank You. I've tried google and dmoz but they have websites that point to old sites that aren't as popular as they use to be or completely don't exists anymore.

Thanks,
Jose
josethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #4
mrgorgeous
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2
mrgorgeous is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

I have seen your suggestion about google directory,but it has no the relevant sites. For example i looked for the topsites(most visited) of my country(hungary) but the result was rather bad.

I suppose the situation is the same for the other countries.
So could you tell me a webpage or something where i can get information about which are the biggest sites in the different countries.

thanks
gabor
mrgorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #5
orion
 
orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,044
orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Culturally Disconnected

Here in PR and the Caribbean in general we face the very same problems when using search engines to find local information (Google, Yahoo, AOL, etc). The problem with search engine regional directories is that most still show results culturally disconnected if not outdated or irrelevant.

The simplest solution is to look at local culturally-connected directories and portals with search capabilities. While smaller, these provide better contextual information and relevant sites than regional collections from the big guys.

At some point one could be inclined to think that these "regional" collections from the big guys are not so, but mere refritted slices from their larger collections.

Geo-tagging, matching regular expressions or using software translators to improve search results without a culturally-connected component for finding, retrieving and sorting results appears to be the missing link. Human editors can do better.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 12-18-2004 at 09:08 AM. Reason: adding few lines of thoughts
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #6
Nacho
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,382
Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Geo-tagging, matching regular expressions or using software translators to improve search results without a culturally-connected component for finding, retrieving and sorting results appears to be the missing link. Human editors can do better.
Words of wisdom! IMO, it seems that if search engines where to add this level of complexity into their algorithms today, it would hurt their overall ranking metrics for the general online population. They are no way ready for this today. Too much is at risk.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #7
orion
 
orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,044
orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Go local.

Precisely, Nacho. That's why a SEM campaign should include local directories, culturally-connected, not just search engines regional directories.

I see this as an opportunity for those SEMs/SEOs interested in providing services to culturally-diverse clients.

So far, most search engines are failing to see that cultural awarness is more than mere slicing their dbs into "regional" directories.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #8
orion
 
orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,044
orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Implementation

Quote:
Words of wisdom! IMO, it seems that if search engines where to add this level of complexity into their algorithms today, it would hurt their overall ranking metrics for the general online population. They are no way ready for this today. Too much is at risk.
The idea that geo-tagging, regexp matching, machine translation, etc is enough for making dbs regional resources culuturally-connected is a non sense. Eg., Local TV and news sites in the given language and country are more relevant than "regional" search engines.

Implementation is fairly simple. I am now giving any search engine marketing dept a simple money-making idea I call Cultural Awareness Program (CAP). I know is not new.

1. Sign local, culturally-connected directories for this program.
2. Once signed their dbs will be crawled according to specific TOS in the agreement.
3. Enhance the "regional" directories with these until then "hidden" documents.

Done properly, both sides can make money.

With proper provisions in place, this is fairly simple to implement, in my opinion. We can discuss more about it in 2005.


Cheer!


Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #9
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch
 
AussieWebmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,154
AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
www.terespondo.com is another good Latin American engine... they have taken the slack from Yahoo in many countries in the area - especially Mexico and Argentina.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #10
Nacho
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,382
Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
www.terespondo.com is another good Latin American engine... they have taken the slack from Yahoo in many countries in the area - especially Mexico and Argentina.
Just to clarify a bit more on Terrespondo.com. They are among the largest PPC providers in Latin America (competing with Overture and Google Adwords). Besides from Mexico and Argentina, Brazil is thier biggest market and they actually have the leadership there. Yes! bigger than the other two.

Their distribution partners include: MSN and T1MSN, Terra, UOL, FolhaOnline, BOL, Estadao.com.br, Monografias, SeccionAmarilla.com, Todito.com, IG and many others.

If you are considering the Latin America Markets with these 3 target countries, then you definetly need to have your ads with Terrespondo.com as well.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #11
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch
 
AussieWebmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,154
AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Just to clarify a bit more on Terrespondo.com. They are among the largest PPC providers in Latin America (competing with Overture and Google Adwords). Besides from Mexico and Argentina, Brazil is thier biggest market and they actually have the leadership there. Yes! bigger than the other two.

Their distribution partners include: MSN and T1MSN, Terra, UOL, FolhaOnline, BOL, Estadao.com.br, Monografias, SeccionAmarilla.com, Todito.com, IG and many others.

If you are considering the Latin America Markets with these 3 target countries, then you definetly need to have your ads with Terrespondo.com as well.
Figured you would weigh in here... I used your contacts and have been doing well with them - and we are working on a Portuguese site developed next to take advantage of - I think the push into the international market will be the big story for 2005.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off