Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Defining the Yahoo! Search URL Parameters

In a blog entry today I explained that I encountered a few new parameters on a search result listing:
rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=kameleon+remote/v=2/SID=e/TID=F492_107/l=WS1/R=7/
IPC=us/SHE=0/H=2/SIG=11oci4r19/EXP=1114063661/*-http%3A//www.remotecentral.com/urc9960
Below are the new parameters and I will try to take an educated guess at each:

IPC=us - This is probably tagging the result coming from a U.S. IP address from the searcher. Perhaps one day Yahoo! will be willing to say "Do you only want U.S. traffic?" -- who knows.

SHE=0 - Could this be that SHE=1 identifies that the user is female and SHE=0 the user is male? Again, perhaps one day Yahoo! might say "Do you want traffic from females, males or both?". Looks like personalized traffic is very near for all marketers.

SIG=11oci4r19 - This is probably the signature file id associated with the page indexed, but I could be wrong.

EXP=1114063661 - I believe 111406 stands for 1/6/05 which is probably the date it was submitted, but I can't figure out the remaining 3661. Could that have anything to do with the expiration of the paid inclusion for this URL?

You agree/disagree with me? Did I miss other parameters? Have fun stripping out the guts of a Yahoo! Search URL.

Last edited by Nacho : 04-20-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #2
hjalli
Founder of Spurl.net and Zniff.com

hjalli is on a distinguished road
EXP explained

You're definetely not right about the meaning of SHE. Like the other parameters it is a acronym or abbreviation of some sort, but I can't guess what.

IPC almost definetely stands for IP Country, the country of the searcher.

EXP probably stands for Expires and it looks familiar to any programmer. The number is a UNIX timestamp (counting the seconds since January 1st, 1970. As such, the timestamp from your example - 1114063661 - translates to Thursday, April 21st 2005, 6:07:41 (GMT)

You can convert timestamps to dates here:
http://www.4webhelp.net/us/timestamp.php
hjalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I get IPC=gb

So yes, this seems to be the IP address resolved to the country location of the searcher, in my case, the UK/Great Britain (GB)

SHE= I really doubt is tied into the sex of the searcher, but I have no idea wahat it is.

SIG=11o5kujlf is what I get, different from you, so not likely data tied into the record itself.

EXP=1114078341 is what I get, different from you, so not likely an expiration date.

It would be nice if Yahoo simply explained what the codes are. I asked them a year ago, and there was silence. Well, I'll ask again.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #4
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
exp could be a serial date style number for the expiry date

she I agree isn't likely to be sex related, I wonder if it incriments by one each search in a session? The only reason I say that is thinking about what might be useful data, and what doesn't seem to be elsewhere in the string, it would probably be useful to know how many repeat searches were made.
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Back to Exp, missed the timestamp converter note. Great resource. And looking back, this looks like the time is one day after the request happened. IE, my timestamp is dated Thurs, 10:12am -- one day after I did the search.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #6
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
>>> this seems to be the IP address

Definately looks to be IP...

>>>resolved to the country location of the searcher, in my case, the UK/Great Britain (GB)

Mine says us and I am in Canada at the moment. Seems to be machine based and not location based?

Exp is definite timestamp of the *search* ime anyway - mine gave me: Thursday, April 21st 2005, 13:13:51 (GMT) and was the exact same on all serps. A few minutes later I performed a search and on all the redirection url's for every result, the new number resulted in Thursday, April 21st 2005, 13:18:45 (GMT).

Not that I stare at the Yahoo urls every day, but, in the times I've taken a look, I've never seen SHE= anything but 0. Danny, do you have an example of a url giving a SHE=1?
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #7
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
SHE= I really doubt is tied into the sex of the searcher, but I have no idea wahat it is.
Yep, it's not. I checked using my wife's computer and being loged in into Yahoo! where her account is defined as female and SHE remained at 0 (same as mine).
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #8
arius
List your ecommerce site Free for a limited time! http://www.buying-directory.com

arius is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Yep, it's not. I checked using my wife's computer and being loged in into Yahoo! where her account is defined as female and SHE remained at 0 (same as mine).
A most scientific test but you under estimated the gender detection algorithms of the Yahoo Scientists. Your testosterone levels were a dead giveaway.

Last edited by arius : 04-22-2005 at 11:02 PM.
arius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #9
Jorge

Jorge is on a distinguished road
Smile

I also get SHE with a 0 and IPC=es for Spain
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote