Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005   #1
Randolph
Web Fiend

Randolph is on a distinguished road
Tips and Tricks for an SES newbie.

Been in the business for a little over a year, and have grown to love these forums. And, now, the time has come:

SES Toronto, here I come!

So, who has tips/advice for a newcomer here?
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
1) You will meet the movers and shakers at the hotel bar.

2) Do get a hotel room at the same conference building if possible, that way you will not loose time transferring back and forth which will loose you valuable networking time.

3) If you're going to ask a question, make it smart. There is a room full of other smart people that don't want their time wasted in the little FAQs time the speakers have.

4) If you're going to meet a speaker at the end of the session, then just be courteous with others that also want to meet that same speaker by not taking way too much time. Believe me, they are interested in what you have to say. It's just that they have a moral responsibility to hear others as well.

5) Have enough business cards and be ready to do a 30 sec. elevator pitch about your business. Anything longer let the other person ask more about it.

6) When you receive some else's business card, LOOK AT IT and point out something interesting about what they do. Making others feel important gives you a better chance of looking important as well.

7) Look around who seems to know more people, point them out and get to know them. Chances are if they like you, they will introduce you to other nice people.

9) Always always always meet the people next to you where you sit in the sessions. You never know when that person could be your next client or supplier or friend.

10) Oh yeah, please do turn off your cell phone during sessions and if you're going to say something to the person next to you make it short and whisper or write it down on paper. You've taken the time to come this far to an SES show, I'm sure THAT can wait.

Just a few things to keep in mind.... Good luck to you! Chris Sherman's SES show in Toronto is one of the best ones outside of the U.S. shows.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #3
Randolph
Web Fiend

thanks for the tips!

I'm really happy to have a room at the convention hotel (thanks to the company for picking up that tab!)

I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of people, and learning a lot!
Old 04-17-2005   #4
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

MikeDammann is on a distinguished road
When is the SES going to be?
MikeDammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #5
GlobalSEO

GlobalSEO will become famous soon enough
The Toronto show is May 4th and 5th.

Randolph... welcome to the event! As Nacho said, a lot of the discussion will be in the bar. If you see a speaker on a panel and like what they say, most likely they will be in that area somtime in the evening. Stop by and introduce yourself.

As far as sessions, go to a variety of them especially in areas that fill in the blanks for your own knowledge.
GlobalSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #6
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Walk the exhibit hall

Find out where all of the parties are going to be

Attend all of the parties

All of the good stuff is kept for the networking crowd

Observe people and see who seems to be networked the best

Make friends with those people
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #7
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

Yikes ... express passports cost $180.00
Old 04-18-2005   #8
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
When you get your conference booklet with the first page that says in big giant letters "READ THIS FIRST," I highly recommend actually reading it.

The main point is there are a ton of sessions, and the session planner and recommended itineraries are designed to help you know what to attend. Take just a few minutes to read through that, and you'll likely find it helpful rather than trying to figure out what to go to a few minutes before sessions start.

Also, arrive in sessions earlier, say 10 minutes prior, if you want a good seat. And sit up front if you want to catch the search reps or other speakers for when they take questions after the formal session ends.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #9
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Spray-paint your name on the park bench of your choice to make sure it's reserved for you when you lose your way back to the hotel after a night out with Joe Morin.

If you do sit at the front at the organic session, wear shades to avoid the glare from Rand's shoes.

Do try and spend some time at the bar with Matt Bailey. Even if you don't learn a great deal more about seo, you will learn to speak a foreign language with him, as the night progresses.

And each time you hear the sound of an English accent, remember it's traditional to whisk that person to the nearest restaurant, buy him a slap-up meal and a bottle of champagne.

Yep - you're all set now
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #10
Randolph
Web Fiend

well, I officially can't wait now....sounds like good educational days and a lot of fun at night. too bad I'm flying out as soon as the last session is over

I'll be there early that Tuesday evening, raring to go.

If anyone cares to meet up, I'll be the guy in the hotel bar the night before it starts, trying to adjust his taste for bland domestic brews to fit with the stouter canadian variety
Old 04-19-2005   #11
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

I myself won't go until the one in San Jose.
Old 04-19-2005   #12
Randolph
Web Fiend

there is talk of that as well. Although, I get to essentially pick 2 a year, and needed to get one under my belt quickly (hence Toronto - although I hear it's great).

Is San Jose the biggest and best?
Old 04-19-2005   #13
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

From what my sources have told me yes, probably the most important one.
Could have something to do with the location, being so close to Google and the other Valley guys.
Old 04-19-2005   #14
Randolph
Web Fiend

cool...I may have to look at making my Pilgrimage in August
Old 04-19-2005   #15
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

haha ... definitely! Where are you?
Old 04-19-2005   #16
Randolph
Web Fiend

the sprawling metropolis of Nashville, TN.

I'm the Online Marketing Manager for ResortQuest (a Gaylord Entertainment Company)

From the looks of it, I either need to move out west, or to the NE U.S. to hang out with all the folks here.
Old 04-19-2005   #17
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

I have heard of you guys!
You need to move out west.
Surf, Sun and hot chicks
and of course ... the hedquarters of biggest search engine in the world
Old 04-19-2005   #18
Randolph
Web Fiend

hmmmm, surf, sun, hot chicks

vs.

country music, oppressive humidity, and the social acceptance of deep frying all foods to death (which isn't all bad).

maybe I can put in for a transfer
Old 04-19-2005   #19
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph
hmmmm, surf, sun, hot chicks

vs.

country music, oppressive humidity, and the social acceptance of deep frying all foods to death (which isn't all bad).

maybe I can put in for a transfer
haha. . there ya go
Business is great on the west coast as well
Old 04-19-2005   #20
Randolph
Web Fiend

hmmm...we may have to meet up at San Jose (if I can swing that). I'll buy a round and let you talk me into moving