Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2005   #1
MattyMatt
SEM's don't mind paying for it.

MattyMatt is on a distinguished road
Is Google ever going to figure out how to handle Ad Agencies?

Long time listner...
First time caller.

I'm an SEM for an interactive ad agency, so search is just a piece of the pie but its my piece. Overture gives me Diamond level whether one of my clients is spending $5K for 3 weeks or $200K a month for a year. I get one point of contact and I'm very happy.

Why dosen't Google get a clue? I have a sales force literally a block away but their VP only lets them service my Fortune 500 accounts. I then have to go through their OS office in NYC for my other clients which is 3 time zones away. Even then I have to deal with more contacts by verticle. The vertical thing sounds like a good idea but in practice it is better for direct advertisers and not agencies. They tell me they are "going through a rough transition" as they are trying to figure out how to deal with agencies. I for one could be a lot happier.

Does anyone else have to deal with this crap?
--MattyMatt
MattyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #2
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Happy here, keep trying

Hi Matty Matt,

Not sure how much or what kind of help you need from an account rep, it could be a lot different than mine. With that said, Google has helped my company set up and run accounts for multiple clients, prior to spending big dollars.

In short, they set up a master account, under which all my clients can be managed (try that with Overture). I have mulitple billing options and unique or summary reporting of the accounts. Having the ability to change ads instantly, add keywords and test creatives in near real time, plus quick reporting...Its been great!

I have been impressed with the pro-active approach by Overture, I get a call and email regularly to offer advice and help. However, this support is great for the beginner, but rarely of use to experienced PPC marketers.

So in summary, perhaps due to the nature of your business your clients may require more hands on help on a continuous basis, this I could see being an expensive proposition for Google. But in our case, just an initial set up with an experienced rep and then the use of a 24 hour trouble ticket system fits the bill perfectly.

Keep trying I believe Google will come through for you.

Cheers,

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #3
MattyMatt
SEM's don't mind paying for it.

MattyMatt is on a distinguished road
Arrow I guess its all about new business.

Discovey, I want to thank you for even replying to my post. I was starting to think no one could even relate to my situation. I was probably ranting too much anyway and should have made my argument clearer. Technologically Google is great. They make daily management easy and dynamic (not that the daily budgeting couldn't be improved). I also love the master account. And my cordinators are outstanding when I need them. So how could I possibly be unhappy? Its all about new business.

We pitch a lot of clients for their entire online budget (search & display). In order for me to effectively fight for my search dollars I need good proposals. When I need to send an RFP to Overture its easy. One sales contact and one cordinator contact who know me, know what I like and know what I expect. And they have a whole department at their disposal where creating proposals is part of their job. I get this if the client's budget is $1K or $3MM. Worst case cenario they also have an automated tool.

With Google I have to figure out who runs that vertical, if they are a big enough company for the local outside sales office, and if their going to spend enough money to keep the account there. If they are then great. They get a Maximizer to build me out a proposal. If they aren't big enough I have to start tracking down who runs that vertical in the inside sales office in NYC. Are you getting the picture? Either way I have to meet and get to know somebody else (don't get me started on the whole Jumpstart thing). I am on pace to meet EVERY SINGLE Adwords employee. As nice as they all are, I could skip it. Between all our clients I spend some serious cash on search, so I think a single point of contact for RFPs (especially when they have a sales office 1 block away) is not too much to ask. It's such a hassel that sometimes I leave them off the plan and just tell the client that if they spend more money they get Google too.

I'll get off my soap box.
MattyMatt
MattyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #4
Web Diversity

Web Diversity will become famous soon enough
A UK perspective

I think the issue is one of geography.

In the UK we have one point of contact for all our clients. If we want to discuss a client in a particular vertical sector then our account manager will often make the introduction and attend any subsequent meeting, maximisation report (either pre or post). Conceptual campaigns where the normal limits are reduced to allow everyone to see how Adwords works for the client.

Vertical sector targetting is a good thing in my opinion, skills in a vertical make that person a tremendous ally. But all through one point of contact is far better from where we stand.

If we want to run a campaign for an overseas client then we go through our UK representative who will always look after us. The billing can be in the currency of the client's choice, so no billing in Sterling and then losing on the exchange rate, it can be pure US dollar if that is what is required.

Our experience of Overture on the US side though has been very different. if anything your experience of Google almost mirrors ours of Overture.

Ambassador Programme = Country Club.

4 years of trading with Overture UK and paying invoices in a timely way counts for nothing.

Overture US is a different company. Be interesting to see how Yahoo Search Marketing treats agencies and how MSN fare when they arrive on the scene. A duopoly makes bargaining very difficult, but with 3 legitimate players then service levels and value add will be important. My advice would be to ask SEM agencies what they would like rather than to assume they want a service named after a precious gem but that actually feels like a cubic zirconia on the receiving end.
Web Diversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
My Client Center is the way to control as many clients as you want.

And as far as reps go you need to reach out and they will be happy to help.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #6
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Thanks for the feedback here, on both sides of the question. I've been passing it on to the right folks.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote