Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2005   #1
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
3 Ads at top of Listings

Anyone else notice that Google is now showing 3 ads on the top instead of 2?
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
KevinSource, AdWords tends to test stuff from time to time, and you're seeing one such test.

Probably only a few folks will see it, and then not for long. It's not a permanent change.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #3
Adam C
Courses for horses

Adam C will become famous soon enough
I've not seen it myself, but was told a couple of months back that someone had regularly seen 4 at the top.
Adam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #4
FeldBum
Frog Boy

FeldBum will become famous soon enoughFeldBum will become famous soon enough
What keyword did you search for?

Let's get some screenshots
FeldBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #5
KevinSource

This was only happening yesterday. Today things seem to be back to normal. As AdWords Rep indicated, it must have been some sort of testing. So, unfortunately it is too late for screen shots. Sorry
Old 04-15-2005   #6
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>AdWords tends to test stuff from time to time, and you're seeing one such test.

Pop unders next?

Its a fine line to walk, two ads north just gets away with it, three doesn't long term.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Pop unders next?
You're a hard man.

Quote:
only happening yesterday
Kevin, did you see that with or without the toolbar? And which browser?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #8
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>You're a hard man.

Its just the brand, reality is different [as you know].

Its just interesting to see the battle between the old skool Google[guys] and the MBA's, will only be one winner but its stil interesting to see it played out.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #9
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFFC
Its just interesting to see the battle between the old skool Google[guys] and the MBA's
It's not so much the MBAs (I have an MBA, so I guess I've got to stand up for them); it's feeling the need to generate revenue. There is a slippery slope here. Search engines can add more ads to pages, and put the ads in better positions. It absolutely causes them to generate more revenue -- immediately -- but there is also a deterioration in the user experience. If Google starts going down this slope they're opening up an opportunity for a search engine with fewer, less obtrusive ads.

Maybe Google can get away with 3 ads on top if the ads all have high CTRs. But they do need to be careful about this.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #10
KevinSource

Marcia,

I was using IE6.0 and Firefox. I do have the toolbar installed, but I am not sure how that would make a difference.

I have yet to see it again. Wish I took a screen-shot.
Old 04-18-2005   #11
AdWordsRep

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
...Search engines can add more ads to pages, and put the ads in better positions. It absolutely causes them to generate more revenue -- immediately -- but there is also a deterioration in the user experience. If Google starts going down this slope they're opening up an opportunity for a search engine with fewer, less obtrusive ads.
Point well taken, cline.

And also a good chance to say that, when such testing is done, it's not simply a test of potential changes in revenue generation - but also the impact (positive? negative?) on Google's core customers - those who search on Google.

I'll pass along the feedback already here, along with any other comments anyone cares to make, this coming Thursday evening.

AWR
Old 04-18-2005   #12
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
I'll pass along the feedback already here, along with any other comments anyone cares to make, this coming Thursday evening.
3 ads are evil.

do no evil.
Old 04-18-2005   #13
AdWordsRep

Quote:
3 ads are evil.
Now that is what I call succinct feedback!

AWR
Old 04-21-2005   #14
haplo

haplo has a spectacular aura abouthaplo has a spectacular aura about
Makes sense to me if Google varies the number of ads up top based upon the query.

My guess is that Google can pick out a lot of commercially-oriented searches that may tolerate, and even embrace, more ads at the top.

When I'm shopping for a price, I rarely spend a lot of time in the organic results.
haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #15
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
As an advertiser I demand that Google reduce it to one ad at the top and then allow me to bid 3X as high to guarantee the spot... as long as my ad serves with a custom midi file of "who let the dogs out" and an animated gif of an American flag to really catch the user's eye.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #16
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
As an advertiser I demand that Google reduce it to one ad at the top and then allow me to bid 3X as high to guarantee the spot... as long as my ad serves with a custom midi file of "who let the dogs out" and an animated gif of an American flag to really catch the user's eye.
And I thought I was the only one trying to negotiate that... okay I'll split them with you! Just don't let anyone else know about it....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #17
AdWordsRep

OaOTDO/WF

Quote:
And I thought I was the only one trying to negotiate that... okay I'll split them with you! Just don't let anyone else know about it....
Oh NO!

Already a bidding war for the soon-to-be-announced "One and Only Top Dogs Out/Waving Flag" spot!

(Internally, we just call it OaOTDO/WF for short)

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 04-28-2005 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Edited in an attempt at additional funniness
Old 04-28-2005   #18
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
>One and Only Top Dogs

oh, you mean www.sempo-tahoe.com
Old 04-28-2005   #19
AdWordsRep

Quote:
Oh my gosh! This finally solves the mystery of where my Mom's treasured dog 'Blackie' disappeared to all those years ago!

Who knew?

Gotta go call her...

AWR
Old 04-28-2005   #20
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
>One and Only Top Dogs

Beth Abernathy come on down.... great humor... will buy you a drink at the next gethering we both attend.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote