Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Blogs, RSS & XML Feeds
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005   #1
dyn4mik3
Michael Nguyen

dyn4mik3 is on a distinguished road
How many of you use blogs/rss as your main source of news?

I've stopped visiting news sites because of my rss feeder. Helps me sort through the news faster and I'm updated as things change online.

Last edited by dyn4mik3 : 04-12-2005 at 05:12 PM.
dyn4mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005   #2
bwelford
Internet Marketing Consultant

bwelford is on a distinguished road
RSS Newsfeeds - the only way to go

I only found this new thread via my Bloglines service since there are very few websites I now visit. I also have only a very small number of e-mail newsletters and seek every opportunity to replace them with RSS feeds. I have 238 newsfeeds I now monitor through Bloglines covering a whole gamut of different interests. Items of interest to be read later get 'clipped' within my Bloglines account. Or I may bookmark a web page for later review in a temporary folder.

I'm probably now aware of 5 times as many news items as I used to be aware of but read only one fifth of even the summaries of news items now. So it's probably less time than I used to spend but covering the ground in a much more effective way.
Old 04-12-2005   #3
dyn4mik3
Michael Nguyen

dyn4mik3 is on a distinguished road
I am doing the same, bwelford. RSS feeds/aggregators are my filters on outside information - I only get what I want and I get more of it.

Instead of spending my time filtering through information, I can spend that time reading through more feeds.
dyn4mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
RSS readers have changed my life. (need a smiley that is teary eyed). It really has made me more efficient.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #5
searchengineblog.com
There's an anti. Let's up it.

searchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura aboutsearchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura about
RSS beats email and browsing. You can digest a huge amount of information, from trusted sources, in no time flat.

Quite frankly, if a news/views site doesn't have a feed, it is off-radar for good.
searchengineblog.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #6
Amanda W

Amanda W is on a distinguished road
Smile Add me to the list!

With the huge amount of information that I want to track and how easy it is with an RSS reader, I am now getting most of my news through the reader. That being said, I am surprised both at how complete some information is just from the RSS and on the other hand how muddled it can get.
Amanda W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #7
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I like how much faster RSS readers are... but I also think that sometimes in being too efficient we may lose a bit. like not get as deep of an understanding because we are trying to read so much so fast.
Old 06-13-2005   #8
agreen1125
Tell me the color of money and I tell you my last name..

agreen1125 is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to automatically create rss feeds from a blogger hosted blog?

Thanks
agreen1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #9
Voasi

Voasi is on a distinguished road
I've been using Pluck.com's free application and simply can't say enough good things about it. The simplicity of adding new feeds is great too. RSS has definitely had an impact on my life. Being able to sift through the junk more easier and "regurgitated stories" are some of the beauty's of RSS readers.
Voasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #10
Quinton

Quinton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen1125
Is there a way to automatically create rss feeds from a blogger hosted blog?

Thanks
Normally if you just enter atom.xml after your account url you will get your feed.
There is an option to turn this feature on within your account.
Quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #11
wjk

Does RSS Really "Broadcast"

In the Search Day email today it states that:

"Content published in an RSS feed is typically set up to send out notifications whenever new material is available."

My understanding is that the RSS reader comes to check the feed and reads the time stamp of the latest change. If the time stamp has changed since the reader last came, it downloads the new items. Else, it leaves unchanged. Is there a way that it actually notifies subscribers of new items?
Old 08-30-2005   #12
Quinton

Quinton is on a distinguished road
Well you can set your feed to automatically ping the information out to others but its not really requesting the aggregator to come and fetch the material.
You have pinging services like ping-o-matic, Pingoat, Feed Shark King Ping that will help people know that your feed has been updated.
Quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #13
daavski

daavski is on a distinguished road
Yes, "RSS feed" is a misnomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk
In the Search Day email today it states that:

"Content published in an RSS feed is typically set up to send out notifications whenever new material is available."

My understanding is that the RSS reader comes to check the feed and reads the time stamp of the latest change. If the time stamp has changed since the reader last came, it downloads the new items. Else, it leaves unchanged. Is there a way that it actually notifies subscribers of new items?
I had the same reaction that you did. RSS doesn't send out anything - aggregators reach out and grab the information.
daavski is offline   Reply With Quote