Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
WordPress In Spamming Uproar

In WordPress Caught Spamming After Enlisting To Fight Spam, I take a long look at the uproar over WordPress having been found to spam Google and Yahoo. This is after the same blogging software provider only two months ago pledged support to fight blog spam. Comments on the article, or the situation in general, are welcomed.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #2
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
2 quotes come to mind.

re nofollow and wordpress:

"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."

re the betrayal backlash:

"There's no justice like angry mob justice!" --Seymour Skinner
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #3
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Terrible!!

Quote:
Hot Nacho is a company that supports open-source software, specifically WordPress. All the web geeks need to remember that there are worse companies out there than those that try to "screw with Google" for PageRank, etc. It's fun to say "spammers are scum" and I certainly don't like them, but get some perspective, there is worse evil in this world.
Just to get political for a second, but this is the problem with our world today. It is OK to disobey the UN if you are "right". Geneva Convention? It doesn't apply to us because we are the "good guys".

Surely "right" and "good" are measured by actions, not pre-judged. Some of the most horrible humans ever have done humanity no end of good. Some of our medical understanding, like hypothermia, stems from reserch that the Nazis did on Jewish holocaust prisoners. Surely any good derived in such a manner can never excuse the holocaust.

And the argument isn't even a good one. "There are worse people / companies / places than us" is just appallingly lame. If a three year old used that argument to justify stealing a cookie, "but other kids do worse things", a parent would laugh at them. Yet grown adults seem to think this argument is a good one. I mean please, grow up!!!

If you do the wrong thing, don't justify it with all the good you have done. Be an adult and say "we F#%$^ed up. We appologise for this, and we will look for alternate forms of income in the future". by all means spin it, but spin it AFTER appologising, not as an excuse for the action.

Last edited by projectphp : 04-01-2005 at 12:41 AM.
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #4
lots0

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about all this is the attitude that a lot of the blogers seem to have; “It’s OK, it’s not really spam...”
Old 04-01-2005   #5
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
The 3rd paragraph is a duplicate of the 2nd paragraph, Danny.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #6
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
<Mod hat off>

Personally, I think that one of the headline in the many blog articles covering this story summed it up: "Wordpress sells Google Juice"

I think that the commercial reality of the internet may be finally hitting the blog world. I think that bloggers may have finally understood the message that Oilman tried to tell them a few weeks back.

Maybe

</mod hat on>
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #7
skattabrain
can't remember where he left his hat.

skattabrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectphp
Just to get political for a second, but this is the problem with our world today. It is OK to disobey the UN if you are "right".
hey projectphp, not everyone thinks the UN is God.

That aside ... interesting article and even more interesting that a company like word press would do this on their main site. kinda dumb ... they should have got a separate domain and let the strong rank of wordpress fuel site B's "experiments".

LOL

This is too funny

Last edited by skattabrain : 04-01-2005 at 03:19 AM.
skattabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #8
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Certainly embarrassing that WordPress had sided on the anti-spam camp, only to then flaunt its position.

However, I can't help but feel that this whole issue is an indicator of the future, as the internet becomes more mainstream commercial.

What if major high street retailers saw it as a good idea to follow a similar method in related keyword areas only, to capture potential consumer traffic? That was my first thought upon reading the story.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #9
hardball

hardball will become famous soon enough
who's google?

If the guy or anyone else wants to post articles, so what. It used to be the World Wide Web, remember that? This whole thing about judging what you publish being held up to google standards/implications is getting sickening.
hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #10
Sapphire

Sapphire is on a distinguished road
This wasn't just about Google's standard, though. What they were caught doing does make it difficult to find results you want when you're searching. If it's not the SE's job to make searches easy, who, then?
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #11
lots0

Quote:
If the guy or anyone else wants to post articles, so what.
No one is saying the guy should not “post articles”, that is not what he was doing and “he” was not even doing it, someone was paying him to let them do it.

Quote:
This whole thing about judging what you publish being held up to google standards/implications is getting sickening.
Google does not have standards for you’re your work, but they do have standards as to what goes in their index.

This is not about google standards (yahoo banned them too), no search engine likes to be spammed.
Old 04-01-2005   #12
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardball
This whole thing about judging what you publish being held up to google standards/implications is getting sickening.
It's nothing to do with Google's standards. People can publish what they like in whatever way they like, just as WordPress did. What they can't do it expect a search engine to list them regardless of what they publish and how they publish it.

Google doesn't make rules for the web - they make rules for themselves. And they've followed their rules in this case.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #13
hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire
This wasn't just about Google's standard, though. What they were caught doing does make it difficult to find results you want when you're searching. If it's not the SE's job to make searches easy, who, then?
If you can't find what you are looking for use another search engine. BTW, SEs are not stewards of the web, they have their own inherent commercial motivations. Google is an unbiased source of information like Amazon is a librarian. Do you rely on Amazon for all of your education needs?
Old 04-01-2005   #14
lots0

Quote:
If you can't find what you are looking for use another search engine.
Funny

hardball, you should really educate yourself on the subject before posting.
Old 04-01-2005   #15
hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots0
Funny

hardball, you should really educate yourself on the subject before posting.
Logging on to amazon as we speak. I got their address from a page who had their content gamed by google scumware.
Old 04-01-2005   #16
skattabrain
can't remember where he left his hat.

skattabrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
People can publish what they like in whatever way they like, just as WordPress did. What they can't do it expect a search engine to list them regardless of what they publish and how they publish it.
i doubt wordpress is up in arms because they "expected" ranking ... no one "Expects" ranking. if you get it cool ... if not, rty something else.

let google determine what they want in or out. that's their job ... if they wanted to be better at it they would be.

google isn't poweful enough ... we need legions of angry publishers ( that are earning 10 cents a day ) trying to take down those who are playing the game google has designed better then they are.

talk to me about ethics when you are talking about yanking feeding tubes from people not on life support ... designing sites to target expensive clicks is what a professional web publisher does. there is no shame is this ... it's smart business.

Last edited by skattabrain : 04-01-2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edited response ... misunderstood hardball
skattabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #17
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
Matt's response:

http://photomatt.net/2005/04/01/a-response/
Old 04-01-2005   #18
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>Matt's response

I don't think that it has quite the level of contrition required.

I'd nuke him, I believe he works for cnet [?] I would nuke them too.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #19
rcjordan

>I don't think that it has quite the level of contrition required.

I have a very high tolerance for spammers but a very low one for weasels.

Reading over my first post, it does appear that Matt has the "sincerity" part down pat.
Old 04-01-2005   #20
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
This WordPress mess is expanding to inspire articles like this one today from InformationWeek. Am not sure about how others feel but it's getting old how some journalists like to flavor all SEO as underhanded manipulation.
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote