Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005   #1
SEjack

SEjack is on a distinguished road
Linking to images

Hello,

I own a site in which receives alot of links to its gif files.
What I mean is... other sites are linking to my gif files.
Does that help my page ranking at all?

Thanks in advace. great forum!
SEjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #2
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
No. Images don't have PageRank. It's only pages that have it. And an isolated image is not on a page, so there is no page to help in the rankings. Sites are not ranked and they don;t have PageRank either. So in every respect, those links don't help your site.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #3
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I am not sure if the other websites use of your images is something you want or not. Are they "abusing" them or do you benifit from the use (besides any linkpop issues)?

If you are just abused and people "steal" your images, I will suggest that you do something about it. The simple solution is to setup a rewrite rule (if you are on Apache) that check if the image is requested from within our outside your domain (external request) - and, if it's external you just serve up a "different" picture (only your own creativity and moral is the limit here)
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
The mod_rewrite thing for images is fun, we did overlays on graphics, saying "STOLEN" in big red font.

But then we saw them served up at shopping search engines with those "STOLEN" marks on them. Even though we allowed them for those sites, must of pulled them at a different URL or ip.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #5
SEjack

Hi and thanks for answering so far.
I know that the image itself does not get a page rank.

I am asking anyone who knows if just the fact that other sitres are using images form my site will win me points with google or other engines?

I recently bought a site which used to be a animated gif site.
Seems like hundreds of other sites img src from my site.

I though maybe it will help me in the engines. I think it does.
Any other expert agree?
Old 03-31-2005   #6
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
No it doesn't. I can't think of any way that those links could be beneficial to your site from a search engine point of view.
Old 03-31-2005   #7
SEjack

Are you absolutly sure?

I have reason to beleive that google bot will follow the link to my site.

Do you speak from true experience? I am looking for a real guru answer here.
I live my life by the SE and all my income comes from SE.
Old 03-31-2005   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Phil has some experience, just some.

Personally, I have never tested it. But I would trust Phil on it.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #9
PhilC

I'm sorry if I'm not a "real guru", and I don't speak from the personal experience of having my images linked to from other sites. Perhaps a real guru will chip in
Old 03-31-2005   #10
SEjack

Its great to know that I am surrounded by real web people.
Phil if you are not that Real Guru then I understand.
A real Guru has an open mind. Some Guru's just like
to stifle other who are on to somthing.

I am not saying you are or are not a Guru. I hope you can clearly
understand what I am saying.

If I was a Search engine, and noticed hundreds of other sites all linking to
images on one site. I would have to beleive that their is something to that
one site and perhaps I would assign a few extra robots to go investigate.

Do you see my logic here?

Last edited by SEjack : 03-31-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2005   #11
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I've had people hot-linking to some of my background graphics for a few years but there's a difference between hot-linking and people putting up a regular link to send users to see a graphic. If they're just sending people to look maybe putting the graphic on an HTML page to display could be an alternative.

Is there some kind of rewrite rule that would redirect to another page when an image is accessed by hot-linking?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #12
SEjack

Good thinking on the re-write rule

To clarify.. people are not hyperlinking to the images, They are using the images on their site and calling them from my site (img src).

In an effort to gorw my web network properties, I bought the site from someone and did not realize what the situation was. I monitor the web logs
each day via Webtrends and noticed HUNDREDS file not found errors all coming from outside sites.

(this site was a free gif animation site from many years ago)

I quickly uploaded all these images back to the webserver to prevent the file not founds in hopes not to get penalized in the engines for that.

I wanted to get rid of the files totally.
Then it dawned on me that maybe leaving the files there would help my ranking.
I think it does but i do not have any solid proof.

Thats whay I posted from some help
Old 03-31-2005   #13
PhilC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEjack
Phil if you are not that Real Guru then I understand.
A real Guru has an open mind. Some Guru's just like
to stifle other who are on to somthing.
I was being sarcastic. You are not onto anything, and I'm not trying to stifle anything. Those links won't help your site's rankings.

The mod_rewrite idea is interesting, but it won't help your rankings either. Would you like me to explain why, or should only "real gurus" (those who tell you what you want to hear) post in this thread?
Old 03-31-2005   #14
SEjack

Phil if you can just stop being sarcastic it would really show that you have some sort of knowledge in the feild.

If you insist that it will not help me.. should I just walk away?
Would you walk away if someone insisted to you that something was not true?
Would I be a good entrepreneur If I took advice without a solid reason supporting it?

Come one now Phil. This is a discussion forum.
I never settle unless someone explains why I may be wrong and If
I agree then yes I will stop my train of thought.

So just as you are, I am. Yes please exlpain you reasoning behind your
answer. I can tell you I will respect your reasoning as a fellow associate.
But you have to explain yourself. Please do.

Last edited by SEjack : 03-31-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2005   #15
PhilC

Sorry about the sarcasm. It was a reaction to answering your question, and my answer being written off, and "real gurus" invited to answer instead. I think some sort of reaction was justified.

Quote:
If you insist that it will not help me.. should I just walk away?
Perhaps not walk way but, considering that there have been a number of replies, none of which have suggested that the links will help the site, I would start trying to find out if it's possible to make the links work. I don't think I'd reject replies and ask for real gurus instead.

Quote:
Yes please exlpain you reasoning behind your answer.
I already explained why the links won't help the site in my first post. The reason why mod_rewrite won't work is because the engines don't rank images in the normal serps. If they request an image, and they get a page back instead, they are not going to think "ah, this a page, so I'll treat it as a page". They are not even going to recognise it as a page, because they don't parse images like they parse pages. So, for them, they request an image, and what they get back is an image, regardless of what is actually returned.
Old 03-31-2005   #16
SEjack

Phil thanks for taking this time to discuss. I do appreciate it and in no way do
I reguard you as a non Guru. In fact I now know that you are very versed in
this industry. Also I havent used the word Guru in ages. But it is what it is.

Lets put Mod rewrite aside. It was an intresting side concept for sure. I
agree that that in itself may not be appropriate.

I am not satisfied with the reasoning as to why it wont help the SE ranking.

Please review this portion of text and comment on it. Your views on the
topic are very insightfull. I just need to dig deeper in your vast knowledge
of this subject to uncover any uncertanty that may be there.

"If I was a Search engine, and noticed hundreds of other sites all referencing
images on one site. I would have to beleive that their is something to that
one site and perhaps I would assign a few extra robots to go investigate."

Do you agree with that? If not why?

Last edited by SEjack : 03-31-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2005   #17
PhilC

Who told you that flattery would get you everywhere????

I don't agree with it.

For an engine to incorporate those kind of links into their ranking process, they would first need to be noticed, and that would have to be done by a human because their current spidering systems are not on the lookout for things. Then they would need to notice that it is a very widespread thing. A few hundred links to one site isn't going to be thought of as being widespread.

Incorporating something like that into the ranking process would mean a radical change, and they aren't going to do that unless it is considered to be very worthwhile. It's not as though websites are already given values, which could be added to by those links. Pages are given a value (PageRank), but image files are not associated with any pages.

Lastly, robots don't investigate unless they are written to investigate something specific (collect and collate data for people to look at).
Old 03-31-2005   #18
SEjack

You make great points Phil. Am I convinced about the image factor. Well not
100%. Am I convinced that you know a thing or three about this topic? Yes
very much convinced. In fact I have found your website via your profile and
will read all of your advice. THanks for taking the time to make the site and
share valuable knowledge. It is valuable considering how much Google pays

Lets revisit this idea in the future. If you hear any further news, I would
like you to notify me and If I do, I will notify you.

One other thing is that I do not see how I have an alexa page rank since I
have had no pages, only images. Thats one of the resons why I thought that
perhapps this image business is something to look into. I have recently
added pages and see robots coming to the site each day.

Also, another reason why I felt that images referencing does affect rank is
because my stats program (webtrrends) counts the sites whom are
referencing my images as refering sites.

I also read somewhere that googlebot will follow the image trail.
Old 03-31-2005   #19
PhilC

Spiders do follow images, but those are images that link to pages - it's the links that they follow. Spiders also get images for the engines' "Image" searches.

Alexa ranks sites according to people's visits to it (the people must have the Alexa toolbar installed). They don't rank pages in the way that search engines do. Perhaps the site was visitable in the past.
Old 03-31-2005   #20
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Can an image have page rank? Has anyone ever seen a PR7 jpeg?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote