Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005   #1
tubanewsrose

tubanewsrose is on a distinguished road
Red face Expired HTML Pages beating me out!

Hello -

My site is being kept from the first and second pages of google for my #1 keyword by ridiculously old out-of-date, flat-html sites that haven't been updated in 3, 4 or more years. I think they're there because of their age - lots of incoming links...and perhaps they were grandfathered in somehow, however the sites liking to them are starting to dissapear off the .net. I've looked at the page info and these html pages are set to "expire" in the upcoming months. Will google place fresh pages, like those from my dynamic site that has fresh daily content (it's an e-zine) above these elderly sites once they "expire" (whatever that means...). I cant wait for these peksy old sites to go away...their owners have completely abandoned them.

This isn't a pressing issue, just for curiosity's sake. As you can tell, my keyword isn't exactly competitive!

Thanks for any wisdom, SEO Gurus.
tubanewsrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #2
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Why do you think the pages are about to expire, or that the owners have abandoned them?

My view is that, as long as a page is currently relevant, it belongs in the serps. And old pages are equally relevant to new ones much or most of the time.

If those pages are losing IBLs, they will slide down the serps, but it's better to beat them than to wait for them to get out of the way. Make sure that your own pages are well optimized and have plenty of IBLs with targeted link text. Unfortunately, search engine are as yet unable to rank pages according to merit, and we have to pander to their algorithm.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #3
tubanewsrose

tubanewsrose is on a distinguished road
"Why do you think the pages are about to expire, or that the owners have abandoned them? -PhilC"

Well, right in the HTML of the page, in META tags are the last modified and expires value - I guess my real question is, does Google pay attention to those META tags?

I know these sites are abandoned because they have broken images and the email addresses to contact the owners are all dead.

I'm just curious, really.
tubanewsrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #4
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
I've never heard of Google dropping pages because of a meta "expires" tag. They do use "last modified" information to speed up crawling, but not when it's in the page itself.Your best bet is to beat the pages in your own right. Alternatively, if they really are abandoned, have you thought of getting in touch with one or two of the site owners, and picking up the domains? It's just a thought
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #5
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
I use the meta "expires" tag for content negotiation. I've never had any problem ranking the pages where the "expires" date/time are in the past.

For example for SEO friendly dynamic pages where the content may change in a very near future i have the "expires" datetime in the past, just to prevent caching. Whereas in cases where i'm sure the content will not change in the next 24 hours, i have the "expires" datetime one day ahead.

But i've never had any problem ranking them.
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #6
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
I use the meta "expires" tag for content negotiation. I've never had any problem ranking the pages where the "expires" date/time are in the past.

For example for SEO friendly dynamic pages where the content may change in a very near future i have the "expires" datetime in the past, just to prevent caching. Whereas in cases where i'm sure the content will not change in the next 24 hours, i have the "expires" datetime one day ahead.

But i've never had any problem ranking them.
Now let me see if I go this...
If a site is about to be updated and you do not want the old copy to be cached - as you see Google only caching once a month (which is something now I have to get time/dates for) - you set your expires meta tag to a date that is in the past.
When you know the content will not be changed soon - you set the date for one day before the date you are updating the page info - this one stumps me... are you figuring that by having an expiration date one day in the future the bot is likely to come back sooner?
Are you playing with the meta data on these sites everyday?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #7
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
Aussie,

Sorry for not mentioning it in the previous post, i was making reference to content negotiation only for the browsers, the webservers and proxy servers, not for the bots.
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
Aussie,

Sorry for not mentioning it in the previous post, i was making reference to content negotiation only for the browsers, the webservers and proxy servers, not for the bots.
Okay makes more sense now.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote